“Stay at the Hyatt Place instead!”

Sheraton Albuquerque Airport Hotel
Ranked #35 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I'm sure this review is going to get me into all kinds of trouble, but I really just have to point out that you would be a whole lot happier at the Hyatt Place. My sister and I make a trip to Santa Fe every year in January, and we fly in to Albuquerque because it's the most convenient destination and avoids a lot of connections. We've stayed at the Sheraton, Hyatt Place, and back at the Sheraton, and I just have to say (hands down) that Hyatt Place far out paces the Sheraton in terms of quality of room, friendliness of staff, overall hotel atmosphere...well, I could go on and on.

The Sheraton does have a fantastic gym, and it's super close to the airport, but here are some of the disadvantages of this hotel:

1. A shuttle upon request only. It takes a long time.
2. No breakfast, no complimentary coffee (this is an airport hotel?!?!)
3. Dark rooms
4. Rooms that definitely have a feeling like they were quickly renovated to look "modern" - even though they don't feel very modern
5. Front desk staff that disappear into other rooms at prime time (8:30 a.m. on a Sunday morning, for example) and force you to finally go looking for them after ten minutes of waiting
6. Long lines

The Hyatt Place, on the other hand, has an extensive and delicious breakfast (healthy options too!) Rooms with a whole adjacent living area. Incredibly friendly staff. Nice decor. Reliable shuttle. Anyhow, I say go for the Hyatt! You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Choose Hyatt Place instead! Unless you really need a good workout, and then maybe consider the Shera...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank biztraveler20
David E, General Manager at Sheraton Albuquerque Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Hello Biztraveler20,

First thank you for your review. Although we always love to hear positive comments we also value the comments which help us improve our service and product. We are very sorry you were disappointed in your last stay. We always strive to exceed our guest expectations and it is obvious we didn't live up to our committments in your case.

I would welcome an opportunity to speak with you personally about any deficiencies you experienced and come up with a resolution which you are 100% satisified with. Please feel free to call the hotel at 505-843-7000 and ask to speak to the General Manager

Thank you again for giving us an opportunity to improve and make things right for you.

General Manager.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

This was my second trip to Abq, on the first trip we stayed in one of the "locally inspired" motels, and was not disgusted with it, but it could have been better, so I decided to read many reviews before booking a place to stay for our second trip. After reading all of the rave reviews of the Sheraton, and a few that seemed to be written by people who are not happy with not just the motel, but with life, I decided to book a room. We were delightfully surprised when we walked inside to find beautiful furnishings, as well as to find that the surrounding area was quite lively, yet quite. Yes, the outside does look a bit drab, though to be honest, most of Abq looks this way. The atmosphere is very up-to-date and inviting, and the choice of Starbucks drinks right in the lobby is quite a plus! The room was spotless and very comfortable, offering an array of different seating and small tables that are efficient to use for in-room meals. The bathroom was beautifully lit, with an adjustable showerhead, plentiful towels, closet, high-powered hair dryer, a complimentary bottle of water, as well as a coffee maker with medium-blend Starbucks coffee and two different Tazo teas! The bed was very comfortable, though, the only thing I would suggest, is to bring your own pillow if you are not a fan of feather pillows, took some adjusting to get comfortable. The television was fabulous, large hd flat-screen, able to be hooked up to gaming consoles if you so choose to bring it with you, as well as a selection of movies to order, many of which are still in theaters. The price of the movies was usually around $16, but it is cheaper than going to the theater as a couple, though there were some others that were only $5! The last morning, we ordered room service, the Santa Fe toast and Belgian waffle, delivered promptly and were tasty! We recieved a $5 voucher for the day that we did not need the room to be made up, an offer I think more motels should provide. We pre-paid online allowing us a better rate, not to mention a better price than what we paid for the very mediocre motel we stayed in on our first visit. The staff was very pleasant, as well very accomodating when I called ahead to ask for a room on a high floor. We are planning a trip back to Abq soon and will definitely be staying here again!

Room Tip: The 5th floor has refrigerators in the rooms, ice-machine, and drink machine. We noticed that there...

Hello, Natasha W.

Wow thank you for the very nice review. We love hearing our guest have had an extraordinary experience. We are glad you enjoyed all the hotel has to offer. Our staff always stirives to deliver any special request, and just a note on the pillows we can even take the feather pillows out and supply you with a foam alternative.

We hope you come back to Albuqeurque and we have opportunity to provide great experiences again. Thanks for your business.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Very nice hotel with a great staff. Room was nice as was the view. Was only there long enough to sleep but were extremely impressed. Also, the gift shop has a very nice selection of turquoise jewelry and other things that will get you out of hot water with you're better half.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view or a mountain view, Mountain view faces east so you'll get the early sun on...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
David E, General Manager at Sheraton Albuquerque Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Hello Vonsoest,

We are glad we were able to impress you and thank you for your review. You mention of our staff is very much appreicated. We are lucky because we really do have a customer focused staff who thrive on giving our guests wonderful experiences.

I hope you have a chance to get back this way and enjoy all we have to offer here at the hotel including our Social Hours we have every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 5pm to 8pm which features fantastic wines rated 90+ by Wine Spectator or our some of our sports channels including NFL, NBA, and Baseball.

Again, thank you for positive comments and I will pass them along to our associates.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed at the hotel over night to attend a small meeting on the following day. The rooms are very clean, recently renovated, beds are great and rooms certainly worth the rate. The only problem we encountered was the hall temperture which was very high (hot-in-fact). Management asked how everything was and we informed them about the twelve floor hall temperature. If you ask for a view the mountains are on the East and City lights on the West.. your choice. While the airport is very close we were not bothered by noise at all. Great place to stay when waiting on a flight out or after a long trip into the area.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Hello Faiths,

We are glad you enjoyed your stay at the Sheraton Albuquerque Airport Hotel and appreicate your positive review of the property. We hope you can come back again! We throughly enjoy taking care of guest whether they are here for business or pleasure. Our location is convenient to all that Albuquerque offers.

Again, thank you for taking the time to review our property.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

We chose the hotel thanks to the recent great reviews by other Trip Advisors....and we were so glad we did! The check-in was extremely efficient, fast and the clerk was very friendly. The newly renovated rooms are very hip and contemporary -- super comfortable and apparently quite soundproof as I never did hear an airplane fly over! We had drinks and dinner in the bar....the chicken enchiladas could have been better and spicier given our location in the heart of NM, but the decent wine list balanced it out. And a silver coin margarita should have real lime juice versus bar syrup, but my husband managed drinking it just fine. I would highly recommend this hotel -- everything you would expect from Starwood.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
David E, General Manager at Sheraton Albuquerque Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Dear Linda,

Thank you for your kind review of the Sheraton Albuquerque Airport Hotel. I am glad our associates were able to provide you with the hospitality you have come to expect from Starwood. I am also pleased you enjoyed the wine selectioin. So you know for future trips we do have a Social Hour every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday where you can purchase two 2oz glasses of our featured wine Rated 90+ by WineSpectator. I hope you can come back and enjoy some great wines. I will also pass on your comments about the level of spice in the enchiladas.

Again thank for taking the time to give us your feedback. We appreciate your business and we look forward to seeing on future trips to Albuquerque.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night in Dec/12. Arriving after midnight the shuttle quickly came to pick us up and we were checked in and in our room with no problem.
The breakfast was ok, not a huge selection but we aren't huge breakfast eaters. The room was very nice. Had a nice fluffy robe but unfortunately didn't have a belt!
In the morning the shuttle actually took my husband to the car rental office so that he didn't have to go to the airport then switch shuttle which was very nice.
I was a little disappointed as I booked and prepaid for our room and I had to call to let them know we would be arriving late only to find that we could have booked our room for $20 less!
PS There is nothing within walking distance!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
David E, General Manager at Sheraton Albuquerque Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Tammy,

First thank you for the review. Second we appreciate both positive and constructive feedback. Your feedback is what gives us an opportunity to improve. We do apologize the rob belt was missing in your room. We also appreciate your comments regarding the menu. If you are back in our area and if there is something that you may want that isn't on the menu we try to be as flexible as possible if we have the product available to us or we can make suggestions.

We are glad you enjoyed the accomodations and we hope we can be of service in the future. I would be happy to speak with you further about the rate differential. Please feel free to contact the hotel directly and ask for David Eisenbraun.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised when I checked in as the lobby and my room were very nice. It looked as if the place was recently re-modeled. Lindsey helped me at the front desk, she was very nice and easy to check-in with. My room was on the airport facing side on the 11th floor. I sleep with earplugs so I can't comment on noise for the most part, but didn't notice anything while relaxing in my room or the hotel. The room was pretty spacious and definitely accommodating. Nice bathroom and spacious counter top (for the ladies of course.)

I ate downstairs at the bar and watched the Skins/Boys game with a couple guests. The bar service was good. I wasn't drinking but my water glass was refilled a couple times promptly. I ordered a club sandwich. The sandwich was exactly how you expect a club. Fair price as well.

Of course if you need to use the airport, then that adds even more value as I was staring at the runway from my room, it is close... I wasn't in this case.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

First thank you for choosing the Sheraton Albuquerque Airport Hotel for your lodging needs. We realize you have many choices and we are very happy we were able to serve you. Second, thank you for your kind remarks. Our staff works hard to provide extraordinary experiences for our guest and we love to know when have have been successful in our endeavors.

Finally we hope to get an opportunity to be of service in the future. Again thank you for your review and we hope you have a wonderful New Year.