“A Good Value Sheraton” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 146 Hotels in Albuquerque
Croydon, United Kingdom
“A Good Value Sheraton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Why does Albuquerque have to be so hard to spell? I needed a hotel for one night, in Albuquerque. I was stopping over, enroute to LA, to visit a childhood freind, who I had not seen in 35 years. He agreed to drive to see me, so I decided to skip renting a car, to save money. Having visited Albuquerque in the 1990s, I wasn't bothered about sightseeing. The quick nature of my visit screamed "convenience" to me. As an SPG member, I felt a need to try to stay at a Sheraton soon, as I was nearing the time limit when my points would be erased, if I didn't earn some more. Many times, over the past year, when I have looked at Sheraton properties, I have ended up booking another brand, because of price. This time, I was happy to find that the Sheraton Albuquerque Airport has a reasonable price. Some say it's within walking distance to the terminal, but when I went outside and looked, I thought, "I'm not walking that far with this luggage." Although I only stayed one night in Albuquerque, my entire trip was for 10 days. Personally, I wouldn't want to walk it with even one bag, but I am very lazy. No problem, though, I just nipped back into the baggage claim area and used the free telephone to call the hotel. They provide a free shuttle van and it came promptly, upon my requesting it.

The property seems of typical Sheraton quality. I got a King bed, which was plenty comfortable. I was put in a room on a high floor, which is my preference. When I was checking in, my friend arrived and met me in front of the check in desk. My only complaint was that the woman checking me in seemed impatient with me, after asking for a credit card, because I was greeting my friend, who I hadn't seen for 35 years. She interrupted he and I greeting each other, to re-urge me to provide the card. She looked and sounded impatient with me. Now, given that I was the only customer at the desk, I thought her attitude was uncalled for. No other complaints during my brief stay. All other staff encountered, the van driver, who also was the bell boy, the other staff at the desk, all were pleasent. If I needed a convenient airport hotel in Albuquerque Airport again, I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Pretty nice hotel, newish rooms (at least for SPG members - there's no reason not to sign up) and lively bar/restaurant area on first floor. It was convenient for us heading to/from Santa Fe for a weekend. You can walk to the airport terminal from here if you don't have much luggage. We would stay here again without hesitation. One little ding: they forgot our wakeup call at 4:15 a.m. - fortunately, we set our phone alarms.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Having been a member of the SPG program since its inception, I have tried to stay at Sheratons whenever possible. They now own a property at the ABQ airport, having acquired it from a private company. As a resident of NM who lives 3 hours from the airport, it is often necessary to overnight either before or after a flight near the airport. The original hotel offered, and now Sheraton offers, a park and fly package.
That said, my friend and I needed a room for two nights - at beginning and end of long trip. Our first night was uneventful except for being assigned a handicap room. Our second night was a fiasco - we arrived at 10PM on a Saturday night in the middle of the ABQ Balloon Fiesta. We were transported to the hotel and the young lady on duty smiled brightly and asked "do you want the good news or the bad news first?" After travelling all day, I just wanted to plop but that wasn't going to happen so I chose the bad news option and was told the hotel was 'over committed' and we were going to be accomodated at the EconoLodge (!!!) but it'd be free! Groan. After biting my tongue, I reminded her that I had made my booking 3 months in advance and that there was no way we were going to the EconoLodge. More negotiations ensued and we were offered a room at the nearby Park Hyatt (where I'd never stayed). I then talked Sheraton into breakfast but think we only got that so we'd leave and go to the Hyatt where we got, wait for it, another handicap room. I could write an entire comment on that facility but will not as they were nice enough to give us a place to spend the night.
Of course I know hotels over book. Not thrilled with way our lack of a room was presented but am sure the receptionist didn't like having to deal with a cranky guest late at night.
All that aside, I will say that the Sheraton isn't nearly as nice as the hotel was before they took over. If, however, you need to be close to airport and want to take advantage of their park and fly package, it is a good deal provided they have a room for you!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Khkhnm
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Drove down to this hotel from Santa Fe in order to buy a little extra sleep time for a 4 a.m. departure the next morning. Got a great night's sleep in a super-comfortable room. The hotel is literally walking distance from the terminal, and you're allowed to leave your car in the hotel lot for a small additional fee that easily beats the available long-term parking rates. The bar was open late for a bedtime glass of wine to insure sweet dreams. I'd happily stay here again even if I didn't have an early flight the next day, and I'm going to recommend it as a great board meeting/retreat site.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

This hotel is great they have a very good resturant with a variety of food. The staff was very nice and took very good careof you, It is very close to the airport which makes it nice. The room was very clean and free of any mold in the shower. The service was great. It is very easy to get around to downtown and any were else you would like to go. The overall experince was excelent and I would recommend it to any one.

Denton, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

Nice Sheraton, great bar, 2.5 miles from UNM. Rooms very clean and nicely appointed, free Internet. Will stay there again on next trip. Not scenic, but pleasant. Has 24 hour airport shuttle. Excellent!

• Stayed October 2012
Kyle, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Lots of hotels claim to be close to their respective airports, but this one really is! Can't get much closer than the Sheraton. A person could, if they wanted to, actually walk from the hotel to the terminal in about 5 minutes. Rooms are very nice, clean and quiet. Front desk staff very welcoming. Had lunch in their restaurant which was so-so. Service was slow. Would stay at this hotel again if I am ever in Albuquerque.

1 Thank SteveinTX