“Great place for sushi”

Cuisines: Sushi
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed September 23, 2011

I went waiting for my hotel room to get ready and ended up staying an hour eating. I told the chef to make whatever he wanted and that was a great decision. Very fresh and tasty. He made me something with green chili's that was out of this world. Highly recommend.

Reviewed August 18, 2011

Had lunch at Sumo Sushi with some local friends and was pleasantly surprised. I recommend the Lunch combo with featured 5 pieces of Chef's choice ngiri and your choice of roll. I had the Red Dragon roll, which was a little small but very good. Overall I would recommend Sumo sushi and will definately eat there again when I return to Albuquerque.

Reviewed June 10, 2011

I've been going to Amerasia for several years (back since it was on Cornell street). The other reviewer's hole-in-the-wall description refers to this location. The new location on 3rd is no longer like a hole-in-the-wall, but still delicious.
Amerasia is now joined with Sumo sushi in one building with connecting rooms for the restaurants. If you're here for sushi, make sure you go in the sushi side (doors are marked) - you can still get sushi on the amerasia side, but the wait staff is separate so you'll get better sushi service if you're on that side.
When you walk in to the amerasia side, you seat yourself and then wait staff is with you very shortly to get your drink order. If you want sushi as well as dim sum, you can get a menu too, just ask (there is no menu for the dim sum). Every few minutes the dim sum cart is brought around (usually by the owner). She usually will come by new patrons first so they can get their selections from the fresh choices. She'll explain all your choices to you, if you're new and don't know what you want. If later in your visit the cart is out of something you want, just ask, she'll make sure it's brought to you on the next go 'round.
All the choices are good but my absolute favorites are the bamboo dumplings (shu mai) and scallion pancakes. I've moved away from Albuquerque, and make sure that I go to Amerasia everytime I visit, just for these.
At the end of your meal, the waitress counts up your plates and give you your bill to pay at the door. Its about $3 or $4 a plate I believe.
This was the first dim sum restaurant I ever visited, and I'm now unfortunately spoiled. I have yet to find a place that I like nearly as much. When I lived in Abq I would bring all my out of town visitors there, to great reviews, and some of my family still talks about it (years later).

Reviewed June 1, 2011

Sushi was ok. The choice of fish is good but the taste of the rolls was not very particular. A bit flat even if the presentation was particularly nice. I also had Udon (vote: 3.5) and baked mussles (vote: 2.5). Overall a good sushi for being in the middle of the desert :) I did not like the bar very much. An annoying train is running around the bar and the interaction with the sushi chef is somewhat difficult, and this for me is a real limitation because it is usually talking with the sushi chef that you get to try the best stuff :)

Reviewed June 11, 2010

This is a very good sushi spot. It is fresh, tasty, and presented well. The place is very clean, the staff friendly, and service fast. The location downtown may seem questionable at first look, but trust the reviews, the sushi is worth it. The also serve good hot food and dim sum. Would recommend without hesitation.