“Second Visit”

Ranked #41 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
ConsultantGAL68
“Second Visit”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I stayed for a week recently, as I did last June. Good to see some of the same people, both on the staff and at the Cheers type bar that attracts a variety of visitors and hotel guests for friendly and interesting conversations. Tanya is the there on Monday and Tuesday nights and very customer oriented. One night I did not feel well and she was great about suggesting soft drinks, finding saltines, and just being a caring person. For a member of Red Sox Nation to be treated so well by a Yankees fan was impressive, so I have to give her special kudos.

I like the Native American motif, the artwork, the comfortable rooms, and the attentive staff. It is extremely handy at one of the I25 exits and easy to get to any of the main streets.

Justin Aguilar, the Manager, responded to suggestions I had last year and I noticed they made some changes to the menu. The morning breakfast buffet ladies are very outgoing.

I used Travelocity for both visits and the room rates were below advertised on their website. Last time it was air/car/hote. and this trip I did car/hotel. Tough to beat the price for the quality and convenience.

Tanya, thanks again if if you have a chance to read this. I appreciated the concern.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
NativoLodge, Front Office Manager at Nativo Lodge Albuquerque, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Thank you for your review and kind words. I must wholeheartedly agree that Tanya is a phenomenal part of our family. I am happy to hear that you noticed some of the positive changes that we have made since your last stay and we hope to have even more when you return next year! Thanks again and best of luck on your future travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
El Paso, TX
Reviewed June 16, 2012

The charming photos good reviews, and special pricing convinced us that this would be a delightful place to stay for a few days while visiting Albuquerque. The reality, however, was much different. Yes, the staff were friendly, but that was about it. When we arrived at 9:00 pm, we were hot and tired. Unfortunately, so was the hotel! Although the room was attractive, the carpet and upholstered furniture in our room were worn. The bed had sheets and a heavy comforter (which had to go in the heat) only and the mattress was too soft for us. Even though we had booked the room for three nights and were not able to get any refund, we checked out the next morning to find a more comfortable hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PoseyKing
I am very sorry to hear that your experience with us was not satisfactory. Your feedback has been passed on to the appropriate departments and we hope to continue to improve our customer experience.
Warren, New Jersey
Reviewed June 16, 2012

My son and I chose the Nativo after reading other reviews on Trip Advisor. We weren't disappointed. The location was very convenient, the room was clean and comfortable.

Initially, we were given a room that had connecting rooms on either side. Connecting rooms tend to be less sound proof than non-connecting rooms because of the doors.

One of the connecting rooms had a family with a very fussy baby. We called the front desk to ask for a room change and were very graciously accommodated. The next room was non-connecting, very quiet, with a view of the mountains. We loved the balcony!

Beds and pillowswere very comfortable. Initially, I thought the lighting in the bathroom was dim, (toilet and tub only-sink/vanity was outside bathroom), but realized it was the type of bulb. It takes a little while for the light to get brighter, and when it did, the lighting was fine.

One of the reviewers complained abou the breakfast buffet. I opted to order from the menu, as did my son. Breakfast we fine, reasonably priced, and the buffet also looked fine. (I just normally prefer ordering from the menu).

We didnt stay long enough to use the pool or exercise room, but both looked very nice. I liked the indoor/outdoor option for the pool.

The Internet worked well. No complaints about anything.

Good service, great price, comfortable, clean room. If I am in Alburquerque again, I will definitely stay here.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Shelley M
Thank you very much for your kind words. I am happy to hear that we were able to find accommodations that suited your needs after the first room did not work for you. We hope to have you back in the near future.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed June 13, 2012

My wife and I often take overnight trips with our kids just to enjoy the amenties of ABQ and always book a hotel with a pool. Even thought the property was adequate, we were highly disappointed to find the pool temperature to be so cool. My kids (4 and 2) had to sit in the hot tub, which fortunately is really a very warm tub. Another father with his son expressed the same concerns when we we sitting around the pool area. It was a big disappointment. This is a a good place to stay for the transient guest, but not someone looking to simply get away for a night or two. Next time we'll book with our favorite outside the south end of town ...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lawrence b
I am sorry to hear that the pool was unsatisfactory to you. Our pool normally sits at the industry standard of 84 degrees F and our Hot Tub is at 98 degrees F. I hope the rest of your stay was comfortable and we hope to have you back soon.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I recently spent four nights at Nativo Lodge, for a business trip (I spent my days at the U of New Mexico, which recommended the Nativo, where our group received an excellent rate). Based on my experience, I want to emphasize that the hotel's staffers are exceptionally warm, friendly, professional, and efficient. I was consistently impressed by everyone--from the front-desk and restaurant workers to the maids, linens-distribution man, concierge, and in-house engineer. However, I initially took a fifth-floor room--which was a mistake. Heat really does rise (I was there during an early-summer heat wave, and it was 100 degrees my first day), so the hallways were always hot and my room, while tending toward cool, never really got comfortable. For the other three nights I moved to a room on the second floor, which was fine. The t.v.'s in both rooms were a bit eccentric (on floor #5 the set always had a weird triple line running horizontally across the monitor, and the t.v. on floor #2 had a permanently-smudged monitor plus a tendency to become a fun-house ride, with wavy images I couldn't watch--though, to be fair, when I phoned to ask about this, the engineer came up, right away, to check it ou). But the place seemed clean and the overall ambiance created by those wonderful staffers was quite pleasant. Nevertheless, there are two reasons why I wouldn't return to Nativo. One has to do with its decor--which probably sounds silly, but consistently set my teeth on edge. The place is so filled with "Native American" kitsch [dream-catchers, enormous "moderne"/spiritual statues, a 24/7 video in the lobby featuring the highly acclaimed but hopelessly corny Native American musician/entertainer Robert Mirabal, who reportedly helped to design the place] that it looks like an "Indian" casino, NOT the sort of place where I'd normally spend an hour, let alone four nights. But, to be fair, a lot of people obviously do enjoy this decorative scheme; again, this is a very personal reaction. The other reason why I wouldn't return to Nativo is geographical. I always go to Albuquerque to do work at the university, and I prefer not to rent a car. I used to stay at a place within walking distance of campus, but that neighborhood has gone downhill.... The Nativo's too far from the school--there's no convenient public transportation (it's the southwest, after all), and taxis are extremely expensive. Next time I plan to investigate the other local property owned by the Nativo people: the [very different-looking] Hotel Albuquerque, which is in Old Town, close to the Central Avenue bus, which goes right by the university. But of course most people visiting Albuquerque will have cars, so whether or not you decide to stay at the Nativo really depends on whether or not you'll feel comfortable living inside a Disney-esque "Indian" fantasy.

Room Tip: Avoid the upper floors (they tend to be hot), and try to get a room that does NOT overlook the hotel...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Nancy H
Thank you for your honest review. Nativo Lodge is a member of Heritage Hotels and Resorts and has a mission to preserve and promote the culture of New Mexico, specifically the Native American culture found in the state. We do so by displaying Native American art withing our lobby, donating to rising Native American artists, and partnering with champions for the same cause such as Robert Mirabal and SWAIA. We understand this may not be your cup of tea, however I encourage you to visit our sister properties who have taken up cultural causes of their own that may interest you instead. For more information please visit www.hhandr.com. Thank you again for your review and best of luck on your future travels.
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Drawn in by a BOGO night stay....POSITIVES: The SW decor really gives the feel of ABQ if you seek a cultural feeling style. We stayed in a room with 2 double beds facing towards the Sandia Mts (you can request this in your reservation) which also had a lg balcony, so traffic noise wasn't bad until 8-9 am when the business complex across street opened. The room was very clean and yes the beds were VERY COMFORTABLE. Decent water pressure in shower. We enjoyed the well maintained indoor/outdoor pool and the indoor spa in the mornings. Location was convenient immediately off highway, fresh strawberry/cucumber water in main lobby (we refilled our water bottles numerous times!) Staff was friendly. NEGATIVES: Only 1 mirror over the single small sink (not good for 3 women in the room), No mini fridge, No exhaust fan in the bathroom, AC unit did not keep room very cool (a ceiling fan would have been great). Overall, not a poor stay just a few comfort issues. Well worth the BOGO for the pool, beds, and decor.

Room Tip: Ask for the mountain view! Other rooms face the highway.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank sonnyrene
Thank you for your review. Your feedback will be used to better the guest experience for travelers such as yourself. Best of luck on your future travels.
Richardson, Texas
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We had a large group stay at Nativo for a family event. The staff was very helpful and the lodge provided us with a good meeting place and okay rooms. The room we had was nice, but there was a little problem with noise from the room next door, mostly through the locked connecting door. Restaurant was okay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind words. Our banquet and catering service are top notch in the city. Because we are a small property we are able to provide a level of attention to detail to our events that is second to none. We hope to have you back again soon for your next event. Take care.