“Very Disappointing”

Ranked #10 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Sunnyvale, ca
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This hotel has lousy amenities. The hot tub has been closed for two of the last three nights, including one time when the staff dumped a bunch of chemicals in it while it should have been available for guests' use. You also have to walk in your bathing suit through convention gatherings to get to the pool. Where the refrigerator should be in the room there is a large cutout in the cabinet for the refrigerator but nothing is in there. When I inquired at the front desk where the refigerator was I was told that you had to ask for it when you made the reservation, but this was not mentioned when I made the reservation, so how are you supposed to know that? They do not even provide a pen and paper in the room! The maids pick up used towels but seem reluctant to replace them, we started with 3 hand towels and are now down to 1 for the two of us. I also found a large cockroach. I will say that the beds are comfy and the front desk staff are excellent. I would suggest that you stay at the local Econolodge and save over half of what this place costs, at least they include a free microwave, refridgerator, and complimentary breakfast. Or just go to another "luxury" hotel that actually includes some luxury!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Marc G
Gretchen G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Marc G, we appreciate your feedback and are glad to hear you enjoyed our comfortable accommodations and that the staff were excellent. We strive to provide customer service excellence in all departments of the property. We do apologize for any inconvenience you might have had during your stay with us as this is definitely not the norm and we take great pride in the style, comfort and affordability of our guestrooms and are upgrading each room with a mini-fridge very soon. Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town in the future to enjoy our refreshing sparkling pool.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed June 13, 2013

After several visits to Albuquerque, we finally stayed in Old Town and were pleasantly surprised by the convenience and comfort delivered by the Hotel Albuquerque. The temps outside were 100+ both days and there was a minor construction project underway in the courtyard but our room was huge and comfortable. We enjoyed the close proximity to the shops and restaurants in Old Town and the quick access to I-40 and the airport. A very pleasant stay and a very nice property we will return to on our next visit!

Room Tip: A higher floor will give you a better room! Bring your own beverages to the pool area, there's n...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Gretchen G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear GOmaha, thank you for choosing to stay with is during, your time here in Albuquerque, New Mexico and are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. The location of our property is especially great to enjoy the convenient historic Old Town Plaza and we are happy to know you were able to experience the surrounding areas. Thank you for taking time to write a review of your recent stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town for another excellent stay, and to relax by the sparkling, cool pool.
Las Vegas
Reviewed June 10, 2013

First of all the nicest part of the hotel was the lobby, when I checked in surprise my room wasn't ready,I booked a mini suite and called 48 hours in advance to make sure I could check in early
I wasn't told upon availability, I was told of course and there was also another unhappy guest who was told the same thing, I was told I could take a standard king instead lets see I had my 6 foot 16 year old son with me and my husband and myself,( I took a mini suite so I could get a rollaway bed) a rollaway bed wouldn't fit (comfortably in a king room) so it would mean three of us in a bed, so we had to wait for a room to be cleaned, which didnt take as long as I thought, the room is set up poorly if you are in bed you can't watch tv because the cabinet is set up at an awkward angle and if you are sitting in the living area you see the side of the tv cabinet not the tv, not that I'm here to watch tv, but the room isn't functional, the tv is one of those old 100 pound zenith clunkers, the bathroom is horribly designed there isn't an a/c vent in there so its always hot and stuffy in there
hard to do hair or makeup, there isn't any counter space, oh there is a 3 inch shelf directly above the camode,that really doesn't do it, the mattress had a "sinkhole" in the middle and the a/c was so loud it sounded like a 747 jet, it kept us all up, the staff was all very pleasant but most New Mexicans are (I'm a local) I have to mention I currently reside in Las Vegas and have pretty much stayed in every hotel on the strip both in regular and suite rooms its a hobby, its basically holiday in express quality,what I paid here I paid for suits at the Venetian and other nicer hotels, I was really unimpressed, I think it's over hyped and average, for the money it's not worth it,and if I could avoid the early checkout fee (one nights stay) I would leave now,an in room coffee maker, hair dryer and aveda soap shouldn't be selling points,I give it a FAIL.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear thebetterjewler, we do appreciate you providing us your feedback and are glad to hear you enjoyed our lobby. Being a locally owned hotel we pride ourselves in presenting the southwestern décor in a proper and well-kept manner. We do apologize for any inconvenience you might have had during your stay with us as this is definitely not the norm and we take great pride in the style, comfort and affordability of our guestrooms and are upgrading our TV’s to Flat-screens very soon. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Hotel Albuquerque in the future to enjoy our excellent location and facilities.
Hermosa Beach, California
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stayed here recently for a work conference and was very impressed. The proximity to old town is the best part about it, just a short walk to the shops and park. The room I had was also quite large, with a balcony that had an excellent view of the property. There was some construction going on at the restaurant while I was there, but it caused very little disruption. It's also not terribly far from the downtown area, all in all a great place to stay in Albuquerque.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Gretchen G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear phil1985, thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We are happy to hear you had an excellent stay with us. Our location is definitely one of our best assets. It allows guests a very short walk to the historic Old Town as well as to choose from two great views of either the Plaza or a panoramic view of the Sandia Mountains. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our deluxe accommodations and were comfortable in spaciousness of the room. We appreciate your five star feedback and hope to welcome you back to Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town to check out our newly renovated dining options very soon.
Port Washington, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I booked this hotel for a 2 day mini vacation for my wife and I because of the proximity to Old Town. I was not impressed. While the location is great the room left a lot to be desired. The shower in the bathroom was poor with the pipe facing the wall and the shower head about 50% clogged. My wife said there were cob webs in the corners. We decided that we would have been better off staying at one of the major chains and driving into Old Town.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Gretchen G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Gary P, we appreciate you taking the time to write a review on your recent stay and thank you for choosing to stay with us at Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town during your time in New Mexico. The location of our property is one of the most appreciated aspects of our hotel because of its proximity to the historic Old Town, as well as the exceptional views from the rooms of the Plaza or the Sandia Mountains. We do apologize for any inconvenience you might have had during your stay with us as this is definitely not the norm and we take great pride in the style, comfort and affordability of our guestrooms and and are constantly upgrading. Thank you for your feedback, and we hope to welcome you back to Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town in the future.
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Free internet, coffee makers in the room, nice staff, good location to Old Town and close to the airport. The rooms are done with a Southwest motif, which if not done well, can feel worn and tired. Unfortunately, the décor just misses. Nonetheless, the virtues well make up for the lack of décor.

Room Tip: The hotel does not have much street noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear ishkabibl, thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We are glad to know you enjoyed your stay overall and that the amenities were appreciated. Being a locally owned hotel we pride ourselves in presenting the southwestern décor in a proper and well-kept manner and we do appreciate your feedback on this aspect. Thank you once more for your review, and we hope to welcome you back to Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town to enjoy our newly renovated restaurant, Gardunos at Old Town.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I thought I would be a lot more impressed, but I found myself rather underwhelmed throughout the stay.

I grew up in Albuquerque, and it felt weird returning to the place I called home till I was 18 and staying in a hotel. So I reasoned, if it had to be that way, I'd at least stay at a hotel I always wanted to stay at.

We arrive Friday night to what looks like a wannabe Vegas. People in club clothes everywhere you look. When we check in, we come to find out that somehow, Hotel Albuquerque is now part of the club scene in Albuquerque. As a result, everywhere you went, there were loud and drunk people. Whatevs.

The other big downside was the service around the hotel. The woman at check in was nice, despite the fact they didn't have the room we requested. We arrived later in the evening, that I get, but we'd had the reservation for months- it was just a little surprising. Each day we were there, it was a struggle to get our room cleaned. Each day, by 3:30 pm, no one had arrived. On the second day, when they showed up, we told them we'd be heading out again and decided to play it safe and ask the front desk to get the room cleaned.

So here's how I'd break it down:

1. Pros

- Close to Old Town, as in, walk to it in under 3 minutes close.
- Rooms were nice, Aveda soap and shampoo- don't mind if I do!
- Free Parking and Free Wifi

2. Cons
- Where the heck are the cleaning folks?
- When did this little hotel located next to nothing popular become the popular club scene?
- Thin walls. The child next door was very unhappy with his mom- so were we. =(
- Slow elevators.

It's a fine enough place, but I'd try and stay elsewhere next time around!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Patrick F, we appreciate you taking the time to write a review, and are glad to hear you enjoyed our deluxe accommodations and amenities provided. We do apologize for any inconvenience you might have had during your stay with us as this is definitely not the norm. Our hotel does host Casa Esencia on Friday nights as well as the QBar, and they do bring in a good size crowd. It is definitely a popular spot at night time as well as a great spot to relax and enjoy the southwest charm of the property. Thank you once again for your feedback. We do hope to welcome you back to Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town for a relaxing stay and to enjoy our pool, a summer time favorite.