“Horrible Service ... that continued after stay”

Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town
Ranked #10 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Horrible Service ... that continued after stay”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed here one night before flying out of Albuquerque after a trip to Santa Fe. Check in was fast and easy (although came back to bite us later). The room was average. Problems with room: 1) dark long hair was stuck all over the inside of the shower curtain; 2) drain was slow and you stood in water while showering; 3) shower release didn't work so most of the shower water still came out of spout; 4) bedside lamp did not work; 5) TV was old and you had to prop the doors open on the TV cabinet to watch it; 6) beds were very old and had no support.

But the real issue was customer service. We wanted to get some iced tea or juice and there was no where to get any (the little gift shop was closed because it was Christmas). We asked a waitress at the restaurant/bar and she told us we would have to sit in the bar to get anything. We did not want to sit at the bar and asked where we could get something or if there were vending machines. She said no, only the bar. We left the property and wandered around the area (on Christmas) in our rental car until finding an open store. We later saw in guest information that there were vending machines near the bar area, but we never saw them and the girl either didn't know or want to tell us.

We ordered room service for dinner and nearly an hour later called down again asking were our food was. The girl on the phone apologized and said it was on the way. 20 minutes later it arrived. It as delicious and they comped the meal because of the delay.

The next morning when we went to check out the man at the desk could not find our reservation and seemed confused when I asked to pay for the night in cash. Still it went okay and off we went. Later that day I received several e-mails from the hotel saying 1) our reservations had been changed; 2) we were no-shows and subject to a cancellatiion fee. HUH?

As soon as I arrived home I called the hotel and was told there was some confusion and that the manager had been working on it. No kidding! It seems the man who checked us in did something wrong. Our reservations got changed to 2 nights instead of just the one and we were noted as no-shows, which triggered the cancellation fee. The man I spoke to on the phone at first claimed I must have done something wrong when I made the reservation online. I remembered clearly making the reservation on the phone. Also I checked our original reservation receipt and it was for only 1 night, not two, and told him so. Then and only then did he admit to the error being done on their end at check-in. It seems we're okay now, but I'm watching to make sure the charge on my credit card disappears in the next few days.

We stayed at a sister property in Santa Fe and while the hotel was much nicer, guest services were horrible. This company needs to retrain their people!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Shannon L, Manager at Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Thank you for your review. I apologize about the issues in the room. We have corrected all areas and will also be replacing the TV's in the near future. Customer service is important to us and we will continue to work with our staff to make them more knowledgeable, helpful, and courteous to our guests. Thank you for sharing your experience, we appreciate the feedback and will use it for training purposes. We hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We travel to ABQ all the time but this was our first stay at this hotel. From the front desk checkin to checkout this was a great experience! Staff was attentive and helpful. The common areas were beautiful and well kept. Hotel has the ambiance of Old Town ABQ. Our room was awesome! Corner room on 9th floor had million dollar views of Sandia Peak and 180 degrees. Beautiful! Lovely SW furnishings and lots of room in Jr. Suite. A great amount of service and ambiance for a really fair price! Restaurant was excellent for breakfast and afternoon drinks. Did not have dinner here but am sure it would be done well. We will definitely return to this lovely and efficient hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for any rooms on floors 9-12. 918 was awesome! Quiet with amazing views of the city.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
We're glad you chose to stay with us and that you had a great experience. Hotel Albuquerque is a truly unique property that embodies the culture and history of our local community as you saw in our guest rooms and common areas. We support our culture by providing a portion of the hotels room revenue to help with the construction of an alter in the Gaspari Chapel at San Felipe de Neri Church in Old Town. By staying with us, you have helped to support this cause. Thank you for the great review. We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to Albuquerque.
Derwood, Maryland
Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

Classy hotel with several good restaurants and bars on premises, short walk to all the sights and charms of old town Albuquerque. Get your shopping done here: stuff costs less than at
Santa Fe. Albuquerque also houses the National Museum of Nuclear Science and Pueblo Indian Cultural Center, both of which are a short drive from the hotel. Great place for a base camp in Albuquerque.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank APalan
Thank you for your review. Our location is a great advantage in Old Town and a short distance to several museums and other local attractions. Thanks for staying with us.
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed December 24, 2012

So enjoyed this hotel. Felt there was much pride by all who work here. Max was lovely at check in and I so appreciated the short walk to Old Town. Walking into Painted Sky in Old Town was a special treat. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us, we would enjoy having you back as our guest.
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I was there on a discount coupon with specials. One of the specials was "receive a bottle of New Mexico wine with each nights stay". We received a Mondavi white zinfandel and when we tried to exchange the bottles, around in circles they sent us. Later finding out it was reservation who was to get the wine to us.Very disappointing since I was excited to try the New Mexico wine. The room was spacious with great views of the city. They had Starbuck in the room!!! Coffee with some flavor, but not enough sugar and cream to go with it. Something caught my eye on the floor, I wish it had not. Instantly grossed out. Along the floor board it looked like it had never been vacuumed. The underside of the toilet was gross and never looked like it had been wiped down. I had found a pubic hair on the sheets and a longer black hair, I am blond, in the folded towels.The water in the shower took forever to get warm and by the time the water was warm, the bath tub had six inches of water in it. Very slow drainage in the tub. Also, there was construction going on and could be heard until 8pm. Went into the bar for Happy Hour, the bartender was the most unattentive bartender I have ever seen. I could have run circle around him to get people served, as well as the waitress. People had ordered food and ended up pulling it off the counter where it was waiting to be picked up by the waitress. The only good thing was the happy hour had great pricing and great food, service SUCKED. Breakfast was wonderful and so was our server. The hotel was located close to the freeway, but far enough away to not hear it and close to Old Town ABQ. I bring tours to town and thought this would be a great place to bring a group, will really have to think twice...

Room Tip: The rooms on the southside of the building are good and come with a balcony.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
We appreciate you completing a review to let us know how your stay was. I apologize that we did not have the New Mexico wine available upon your arrival. We certainly want our guests to experience a part of New Mexico the package has to offer. We are concerned about the issues you encountered and are addressing each item.
The construction you mentioned is minor vinyl replacement in our hallways as we continue to make improvements. I apologize that this was disruptive, it is our intent to complete work on unoccupied floors and during midday hours so our guests are not inconvenienced. I will personally look into this matter.
We are glad you enjoyed parts of your stay and appreciate you sharing them, such as the food and view from your room. We hold high standards when it comes to customer service so it is disappointing to hear that we did not meet those standards in our bar.
Thank you for providing feedback, we want to hear what we are doing right and what we need to improve on so we appreciate all the reviews we get as it only makes us a better hotel for our guests.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I was very disappointed in my stay at Hotel Albuquerque. My room was not clean when I checked in: there was hair on the wall of the shower, and coffee rings with hair stuck in them on the table with the phone. I informed the front desk of this the next morning, and he assured me the room would receive a thorough "extra" cleaning that day. When I returned about 4 PM, neither of those items had been cleaned even though the room had been "serviced" by housekeeping; the carpet also appeared to not have been vacuumed. I called the front desk and reported this again. A few minutes later, a housekeeping supervisor came to my room; I pointed out these items to her. She was very nice and proceeded to start cleaning the bathroom herself; while we were both there, the original housekeeping woman who had originally "cleaned" it earlier that day came to the room. She became very belligerent and upset with both the supervisor and myself - she was confrontational, insisting she had cleaned the room. I told her I wasn't making these things up & had showed them to her manager, so she obviously hadn't done her job very well - and, she should not have been talking that way to either me or her supervisor. I reported this to the front desk a few minutes later when I went downstairs again. I also told them I did not want that original housekeeping staff member to return to my room for the duration of my stay. That night after returning from dinner, I hardly got any sleep at all; the ABQ firefighters were having their Christmas party that night at the hotel. They and their female guests (who, by the way, made the hotel look like a hooker convention, I've never seen so many skanky, scantily clad women in one hotel) were obviously overserved and it did not appear that their rooms were blocked by management (a mistake and costly oversight by the hotel). Once the bar closed, all those very drunk people moved their parties to their rooms; I could hear yelling, fighting, and parting all around me, in rooms on my floor but also on other floors and even outside in the parking lot and garden area. At 2:15 AM I heard some guys pounding on the door across the hall from me and yelling at the top of their lungs "Amber!!" over and over. I could see 2 of them out the peephole in my door. At one point I yelled "Enough! I'm going to call security!" at which point they started looking around for who said that. They didn't go away, instead they were able to get Amber's door open a crack somehow, but the slide lock was on; they proceeded for several minutes to try to pry the door open and get inside. That's when I did call security; the men ran away when they heard them coming. I told security which way they went, but apparently they didn't catch them, because an hour later one of the guys was back, again pounding on the same door and yelling "Amber let me in!" again. She finally (stupidly) did let him in. But the noise didn't stop; the partying went on until almost 5:00 AM. This was supposed to be a relaxing vacation for me; it was anything but on that night. The next morning at 7:45 AM I heard that same guy once again yelling in the hallway; I looked out the peephole to see him COMPLETELY NAKED walking in the hallway holding a pair of shoes and yelling down the hall at Amber, who had apparently either trashed or taken the rest of his clothes. What kind of establishment is this hotel running? I had always thought of this as a nice hotel when I used to live in ABQ, and this was the first time I'd stayed there; it will be the last as well. Elias at the front desk was nice enough to listen to my complaints the next morning and he did not charge me the $50 early checkout fee; I left and checked into another hotel for my remaining two nights of my vacation. And, as I was checking out early, there were several other people behind me in line that morning who were also livid and complaining about the noise and partying and fights all over the hotel the night before. If I was management, I would never let that group book an event at my hotel again, they probably lost a lot of income as a result of what happened, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who checked out. Also: the bed pillows are extremely uncomfortable, I recommend the hotel invest in better/sturdier ones with more support. The only positive of my room was that it had a nice view of downtown; the hotel is withing walking distance to Old Town, which was also convenient.

Room Tip: Well, apparently don't stay during the holiday season when the firefighters are having their par...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank AntK13
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. My apologies for the concerns you experienced during your stay. I can assure you that we are addressing all matters with our staff. We host many events throughout the year in which we have many guests attending. During peak periods, we take extra measures to ensure that our guests feel safe and comfortable therefore, our Director of Security and his team are reviewing the incidents that were reported and we plan to use them as a tool to improve our operation.
I certainly apologize for what you experienced as it was a rare occurrence. We strive to create a genuinely grand experience for all who stay with us and we'll continue to work hard to ensure our guests have the same wonderful experience Hotel Albuquerque is known for.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I made my reservation over the telephone, (I usually make all my reservations online) and spoke with Laura. Her warm and welcoming demeanor on the phone was more that just pleasant! She was professional, upbeat, helpful, knowledgeable, and a true reflection of this great hotel! She went above and beyond to provide the best customer service! Laura did everything to accommodate my stay there! She truly knows her city, and is very proud to provide information on all the great places to see!
I will admit, I was a little concerned about the "walking distance" to Old Town.... but it truly is! The food at the restaurant was great, the housekeeping staff friendly and helpful, and checking in was so easy. It is a great place to stay. Easy access to the interstate, and easy access to other places within the city.
The room was clean and spacious,the pricing was great, and I had a great view of the city and the mountains. I am planning another trip to Albuquerque, and I will be staying in this great hotel! It is the most warm and welcoming place to stay!

Room Tip: Rooms with a balcony!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Laura is an amazing person. She takes pride in her position with Hotel Albuquerque and we are very fortunate to have her. As a management team, we know it is very important to motivate our staff and there's no better way to motivate them by telling them about a great review they received. It encourages them to always do their best in providing great customer service so thank you for the great compliments about Laura.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you as our guest again.