“Plaza Inn Abq”

Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown
Ranked #68 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed February 7, 2014

The hotel staff was very nice and our room was ready when we arrived; however, the pool was not opened for our whole weekend stay. Nothing looked wrong with it but it was still closed for maintance, very dissapointed in that fact.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
PlazaInn, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry our indoor pool was closed during your visit but there was a mechanical problem with the pump filter which required waiting for a part to be delivered. Because it is such a large pool and over 8 ft. deep, it also takes time to filter and reheat the water. It was one of those problems that can happen unexpectedly but we do appreciate your business and if you - or any guest that was similarly inconvenienced - will call me directly at the hotel, I will do my best to ensure your next visit is a pleasant one.

There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown

Reviewed February 4, 2014

This hotel was falsely advertised....the rooms smelled, the elevator smelled like smoke. Was booked for two nights and barely was able to make it through the first night. Online it was advertised with indoor pool, it wasn't even working.!!!! COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST...TRY POWDERED EGGS AND BISCUITS!!!!!!

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Monica F
HoJoSalesManager, General Manager at Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2015

Good afternoon.

Thank you for staying at our property. I am so sorry about your experience at the property. We strive for our guest to have the best experience possible and we dropped the ball with your stay. We are a 100% non smoking hotel since i have started as GM. I am also very bothered by smoke and cannot stay in a room that smells of it. We are under new management and ownership and are cleaning up our hotel. It is no longer the Plaza Inn and is now the New Howard Johnson Hotel Midtown.

For that I am so sorry. We train our staff every week in cleaning our rooms as we would our homes. We also concentrate on training our team with excellent customer service. I hope that you can give us a second chance int he near future.

Our hotel is under going some amazing renovations in all of the public areas and the guest rooms, however the guests rooms may not be done until September of 2015. We would love for you to come and stay with us again and see our growing changes.

Our breakfast is our proudest growth and is totally amazing. We have a full hot breakfast buffet with scrambled eggs, cheese omelets, bacon, sausage, cinnamon rolls, french toast, gluten free bagels, boiled eggs, Otis Spunkmeyer Freshly baked muffins, Biscuits & Gravy, Yogurts , ...etc so much more. Also, from 4pm-8pm daily we have freshly baked cookies, iced lemon tea and hot coffee.

We also have a free local shuttle that goes within city limits and to the airport . Flat screen TV's in all guests rooms. A newly renovated Pool and hot tub, Pet Friendly, Wyndham reward program, Free USA Today newspapers & onsite catering for meetings and banquets. We have also transformed our lobby and have knocked down some walls to open it up and create a more open feeling. We also have Chalk Board paint on all of our breakfast tables where guests can draw and play games. This has been a huge success and we invite you to come and give us a second try. For Kids we have a Treasure chest, where every kid gets a toy and we have a designated kids Zone with toys and books. We are also transforming 20 rooms to Kid themed rooms with batman, Spiderman, minions, beauty and the beasts, Frozen, cinderella & many more. As you can see, like any aged diamond in the rough, with a little TLC, we are looking better and creating memorable stays for the better!

When you stay with us its better than staying with family! Were one of the cleanest properties in new mexico and we won't nag you.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Friendly people , service was great, very clean, room was awesome, loved the shower! The pool is nice also! Gym came in handy too! Beds are so comfortable! Breakfast was good too, and the cookies were awesome! However it would be great to get more towels in the bathroom, and some chairs for the balcony! But other than that I will be coming back , the hotel is awesome it self! Very nice and affordable!! Great service ft less the money!

• Stayed: January 2014

Reviewed December 26, 2013

The parking lot was almost empty and the exterior appearance was so run-down at first we thought the place was closed up. Cigarette butts and garbage littered the entrance and parking lot. The employee was at the door talking to someone and although he said he'd be with me in a minute, 5-10 minutes later he was still chatting. It was an older woman who seemed to need to go on and on, so I understand it was hard for him to get away to help me.

If I hadn't pre-purchased the room on a Hotwire hot rate, I would have left, but I did start the check-in process since I had already paid. I mentioned how the kids were looking forward to swimming, when he informed me that the pool heater wasn't working. The pool area was quite a bit older and run-down than the photo online suggests. Plus the water was ice-cold and truly not fit for little children to swim in. Very graciously he indicated he would approve a refund through Hotwire to get us to a place with a working pool. I appreciated his honesty and willingness to rectify the situation through a refund. If the hotel were remodeled and cleaned up I would consider staying there because of that kind young man at the desk, but not in the hotel's current condition.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DenverMomof3

Reviewed December 18, 2013

pictures looked nothing like the place. i was initially excited to find such a cheap place in close range to the hospital, that also had free breakfast. when i pulled up to the hotel, i wasnt sure if i was at the right place or not. the sign was flickering and it looked nothing like what i had expected. when checking in, there were two people in the back office, that could see me clear as day, but continued to conversate about personal business. lobby was nice and they do have a computer that is open to the public. short elevator wait was nice. i stayed on 2nd floor, hallway was filthy with food and debris on the floor, which never was vacuumed during my 3 day stay. the room was smaller than i expected, but bed was comfy and i loved having my own balcony. house keeping might not do the best at keeping the hallway, but room was very clean. sadly my room had a conjoining door to the people next to me, who didnt realize that there constant smoking of weed was overpowering the smell in my room- thankfully i wasnt spending much time in my room. located next to the interstate so it made getting to my destination easy, but take into mind that this does mean traffic noise. breakfast was fair, i definetly would not recommend the eggs...my stomach curls even thinking about them. night desk people were very nice and check out was quick. many places to eat in the area. my stay really wasnt that bad, but i just expected much different.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Tasha J

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Both my wife and I are here on business. Staying here was our best choice made. Pros: staff was helpful and friendly. Rooms were clean and beds were very comfortable. The heated pool was wonderful. Cleaning staff was friendly. Free breakfast. Great price I can go on and on.....Cons: older hotel. Not a nationwide hotel name. Only one washer and dryer for the whole hotel. Now considering all that...we stayed there and were not dissatisfied once. I would not only recommend, I will stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: November 2013

Reviewed November 13, 2013

I want to thank Joanne (director of sales) for her attentiveness, friendliness, and customer service. We stayed at the Plaza Inn during the Balloon Fiesta and when we had any issues, Joanne was there to answer any concerns. Any hotel would be fortunate to have her on staff! She set the bar high for customer care...thanks for all you do Joanne!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family