“Only okay”

Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown
Ranked #68 of 143 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed May 29, 2013

15 years ago, this may have been a nice hotel, but not so much now! There were holes in the carpet, the pillows were flat and lumpy, the 'luxurious duvet covers' were basically a giant pillow case, and there wasn't a plug for the bath tub. Additionally, the breakfast was disgusting! The eggs were inedible, as was the gravy. Our second morning, they were out of several things, including jelly. I will not stay here again, no matter how cheap, and I will caution my friends and family against staying there.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Our stay at the Plaza Inn was great. The rooms were nice the beds were comfortable and being able to control the temperature in the room was awesome. The pool was nice it was warm and fun. Being able to stand out on the balcony and see the view especially the hot air balloons in the morning was excellent. I would recommend that anyone who is staying overnight in Albuquerque stay at the Plaza Inn. As well the people that work there are amazing as well and friendly and do everything they can to get you what you ask for if they are able. Thank You Plaza Inn staff for excellent service and a great place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I really wish I would have read the reviews before booking here. It was extremely filthy. It smelled extremely bad. The cheap price Isn't worth it. The Pictures online look like they were taken 15 years ago. There was a roach in the breakfast area. This is the most disgusting hotel that I have evee stayed in. Lesson learned you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank gmo40095024
PlazaInn, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

If a guest has a bad stay, I try to investigate their report and communicate what I find - but in cases such as this - there is no information as to who the reviewer is so I will respond in general. It is summer in Albuquerque - and you will find bugs just about everywhere - but we have the hotel PROFESSIONALLY sprayed on a two weeks schedule - which is more than . My office is right next to the breakfast area and I have never seen or had a report of "roaches" in this area. I also do not understand the complaint of the "smells" . I walk the hotel daily and as with any place where there are many people - you will experience an occassion unpleasant odor- but as for the hotel itself smelling? That I don't understand. As for reading the other reviews, I've never understood how one review can be so positive and the very next one so negative - but that seems to be the way of things - not just with our hotel - but with all of them.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Very nice staff, easy access to my training facility. Nice size room and clean. Didn't have time to see if there was a pool. Would stay again. Breakfast was good and was what to be expected for a continental breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
PlazaInn, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel. The staff at the Plaza Inn are the most accommodating and hospitable I have ever worked with - and it is always nice to hear they are appreciated. We do get alot of individuals who are "traveling alone" - for various reasons - and the staff goes out of it's way to make sure the guests know there is someone available at all times to take care of their needs. I do hope you do have occassion to return to Albuquerque and stay with us again.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

We thought the service was excellent. The shuttle took us anywhere and the staff were so friendly and helpful. The hotel is an older style but very clean. It's central to everywhere but not walking distance. We went to the Gathering of Nations which was excellent and caught a taxi back to hotel which cost about $15.00 with a tip.

Room Tip: Probably doesn't matter. Pool and spa on 1st floor but we were on 5th. Quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank normam854
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Like others, I was a little skeptical because of the reasonable-ness of the rates. I was happily surprised. All the staff were pleasant and helpful. The room was a nice size (I was happy that it wasn't too big, as I was traveling alone), clean, and comfortable. There was a clean fridge and microwave in the room, which was very convenient. Free hot breakfast every morning. Very convenient shuttle service. If I were to return to Albuquerque, I'd happily stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This is not the worst hotel I have stayed in but its in my top five. I asked for a non-smoking room and I got one. At least no one that day had smoked in it. I could smell the stale odor of cigarretts and see the burn spots on the table. There used to be a restaurant attached to the hotel but as the front desk person put it "I think it was shut down back in February". Ok no big deal because I went out and found a great Mexican-Greek Restaurant called Ceasar's. I went to use the exercise "room" only to find out that it was two barely working bikes and a bowflex type piece of equipment and oh yeah don't forget the roach. I think the roach got more of a workout than me, he was looking for a way out, I kind of felt bad for him, but then I remembered he was a good inch and half roach and was a little creeped out. Then it dawned on me why the restaurant was no longer there, I dont know if it was shut down for this reason but I think it could be a reason. I went back to my room after a bike ride and ate my meal. My room was antiquated and small but thats ok I don't take up much room. The bed spread looked like someone had been jumping on it with dirty shoes. So I didn't dig any further and just slept under a sheet on the stripped down bed. In the morning I woke up and had a visitor, another roach, this one was dead however or maybe playing dead. That was enough for me I packed up my stuff and I didn't even stop for breakfast, because I didn't know if any more visitors had been there to sample the cuisine. The best part of my experience was checking out. If possible I would give this half a circle only because of the ambiance of the property. It had a nice view and as drove away I could see hot air balloons on the horizon. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone except very eager entomologist or if you dont have enough money for Motel 6 or 8 or even a road side motel.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business