“Very efficient and friendly”

Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown
Ranked #70 of 143 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We thought the service was excellent. The shuttle took us anywhere and the staff were so friendly and helpful. The hotel is an older style but very clean. It's central to everywhere but not walking distance. We went to the Gathering of Nations which was excellent and caught a taxi back to hotel which cost about $15.00 with a tip.

Room Tip: Probably doesn't matter. Pool and spa on 1st floor but we were on 5th. Quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank normam854

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Like others, I was a little skeptical because of the reasonable-ness of the rates. I was happily surprised. All the staff were pleasant and helpful. The room was a nice size (I was happy that it wasn't too big, as I was traveling alone), clean, and comfortable. There was a clean fridge and microwave in the room, which was very convenient. Free hot breakfast every morning. Very convenient shuttle service. If I were to return to Albuquerque, I'd happily stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This is not the worst hotel I have stayed in but its in my top five. I asked for a non-smoking room and I got one. At least no one that day had smoked in it. I could smell the stale odor of cigarretts and see the burn spots on the table. There used to be a restaurant attached to the hotel but as the front desk person put it "I think it was shut down back in February". Ok no big deal because I went out and found a great Mexican-Greek Restaurant called Ceasar's. I went to use the exercise "room" only to find out that it was two barely working bikes and a bowflex type piece of equipment and oh yeah don't forget the roach. I think the roach got more of a workout than me, he was looking for a way out, I kind of felt bad for him, but then I remembered he was a good inch and half roach and was a little creeped out. Then it dawned on me why the restaurant was no longer there, I dont know if it was shut down for this reason but I think it could be a reason. I went back to my room after a bike ride and ate my meal. My room was antiquated and small but thats ok I don't take up much room. The bed spread looked like someone had been jumping on it with dirty shoes. So I didn't dig any further and just slept under a sheet on the stripped down bed. In the morning I woke up and had a visitor, another roach, this one was dead however or maybe playing dead. That was enough for me I packed up my stuff and I didn't even stop for breakfast, because I didn't know if any more visitors had been there to sample the cuisine. The best part of my experience was checking out. If possible I would give this half a circle only because of the ambiance of the property. It had a nice view and as drove away I could see hot air balloons on the horizon. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone except very eager entomologist or if you dont have enough money for Motel 6 or 8 or even a road side motel.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

I agree with the previous comments of the manager. The price was so reasonable we were pretty sceptical of what we would find. The room was clean and big. There was a microwave and refrigerator. The bed was comfortable. The only suggestion we would have is to improve the lighting. The 2 lamps and overhead light was very low wattage making it a little difficult to read.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed March 29, 2013

My husband and I were forced to stay at this discusting hotel as they would not honor our cancellation after booking through Hotels.Com (don't believe what they tell you about how GREAT their hotels are.). After driving 16 hours, We did not have the energy to argue. Room are outdated, and dirty. Breakfast looked inedible. Coffee horrible. Don't waste your money on this place in less you are renting by the HOUR. No more needs to be said.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Have stayed at the Plaza Inn several times since 2009. My daughters live in ABQ. The staff is always friendly and accommodating. This time I asked for a room change because the first room had a broken lock on the slider to the balcony. Yes, it's unlikely that anyone would climb up to a 3rd floor room but still. The front desk guy changed my room immediately. This is not the newest property in town for sure so if you are looking for plush, modern appointments this isn't the place.

If you are looking for a very affordable, conveniently located motel, give it a try. It's clean, breakfast is okay (eggs and sausage & gravy plus the usual continental stuff), the beds are pretty good and the staff responds to requests for assistance quickly and with a friendly manner.

Also, sometimes I bring my dogs with me and we stay on the "garden level" with access to the courtyard on the west side. That works very well and my dogs enjoy exploring!

I do wish they would fix their signs. The one on the front near the doors has said " laza" - the "P" is broken - since I first came in 2009!

Room Tip: Rooms on the freeway side have a nice view of the city which pretty at night and you might see hot a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
PlazaInn, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you like our use of the "Garden" level rooms for our pet rooms so that you have direct access to the courtyard without having to go back through the hotel. It does work very well, and our regular guests are incredibly courteous about managing their pets, which we appreciate. As for our signs, we are very excited about renovations planned for the outside of the hotel this summer. Thanks again for staying with us!

Reviewed March 7, 2013

The rooms, lobby and parking lot are clean and well cared for. The front desk and housekeeping employees are friendly, If there is something that you need they do their best to accommodate you. It is conveniently located to the freeway. There is freshly brewed coffee in the morning.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
PlazaInn, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review. Our staff truly does do their best to take care of our guests. Being an independant hotel, our goal is to provide a nice, clean place to stay at a very affordable price and we appreciate your taking the time to let us know you enjoyed your stay .