“My home away from home in ABQ”

Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown
Ranked #70 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Farmington, New Mexico
“My home away from home in ABQ”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Have stayed at the Plaza Inn several times since 2009. My daughters live in ABQ. The staff is always friendly and accommodating. This time I asked for a room change because the first room had a broken lock on the slider to the balcony. Yes, it's unlikely that anyone would climb up to a 3rd floor room but still. The front desk guy changed my room immediately. This is not the newest property in town for sure so if you are looking for plush, modern appointments this isn't the place.

If you are looking for a very affordable, conveniently located motel, give it a try. It's clean, breakfast is okay (eggs and sausage & gravy plus the usual continental stuff), the beds are pretty good and the staff responds to requests for assistance quickly and with a friendly manner.

Also, sometimes I bring my dogs with me and we stay on the "garden level" with access to the courtyard on the west side. That works very well and my dogs enjoy exploring!

I do wish they would fix their signs. The one on the front near the doors has said " laza" - the "P" is broken - since I first came in 2009!

Room Tip: Rooms on the freeway side have a nice view of the city which pretty at night and you might see hot a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
PlazaInn, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you like our use of the "Garden" level rooms for our pet rooms so that you have direct access to the courtyard without having to go back through the hotel. It does work very well, and our regular guests are incredibly courteous about managing their pets, which we appreciate. As for our signs, we are very excited about renovations planned for the outside of the hotel this summer. Thanks again for staying with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
La Verne
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The rooms, lobby and parking lot are clean and well cared for. The front desk and housekeeping employees are friendly, If there is something that you need they do their best to accommodate you. It is conveniently located to the freeway. There is freshly brewed coffee in the morning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
PlazaInn, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review. Our staff truly does do their best to take care of our guests. Being an independant hotel, our goal is to provide a nice, clean place to stay at a very affordable price and we appreciate your taking the time to let us know you enjoyed your stay .
Taos NM
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I came to Albuquerque because two elderly friends (87 & 89) had a medical emergency. The hospital recommended this motel, and we didn't check in until late - too late at night to change. My room, on the first floor, had an obscured patio with a sliding glass door. I was so terrified that I barricaded the sliding glass door with two chairs & an ironing board, and put the luggage rack against the hall door which didn't have a chain or bar. I have never in my life done this before - a first. The mattress was uncomfortable, the pillows terrible. I didn't sleep more than 2 hours, nor did my friend. The next morning we changed hotels before even going to the hospital. The rooms were old & tired, but they were clean, and the staff very nice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review and I'm very sorry you had an unpleasant stay at our hotel. Had you mentioned to the front desk that you didn't feel secure on the first floor because of the patio outside of your sliding glass door, they would have gladly moved you to a higher floor. I assure you, the first floor is secure. All of our hallway doors do have bolt locks and the sliding glass doors to the patio (or balcony on higher floors) all have have double locks at the handle and a bar which makes it impossible to open when it is in place. I always check the member profile of our reviewers and I can't help but notice that you have always choosen much, much more expensive hotels than the Plaza Inn, and that being the case, I am pleasantly surprized that your only complaint was the security issue.

Travelers are raving about these Albuquerque hotels

North Long Beach, California, United States
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My daughters and I felt welcomed from the moment we arrivied. The room was clean, roomy and met our expectations. The housekeeper offered her services daily with courtesy.
Thanks to all at the Plaza Inn In Albuquerque, N.M

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Clovis, New Mexico
Reviewed February 20, 2013

If you're looking for a cheap place to stay, then this is it...Cheap! Upon check in, which is at 3:00pm, and we checked in at 3:45ish, our rooms were not ready. Had to check in to one room and wait for the other one to be cleaned. Waited, and waited. Had to call front desk at 5:00 to see if room was finally ready and it was so we moved half our stuff WAY down the hall as the hotel could not accomodate side by side rooms! Hotel is very noisy due to facing I-25 traffic!
But if you have ear plugs and are looking for a cheap place then youve found the right place!
Cheap, noisy and unaccomodating!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We found a coupon book when we stopped for gas and got a great rate!. The outside could use a face lift but for everything you get - who cares? The bed was so comfortable and clean and we got breakfast included. The minute we walked in the lobby we felt welcome and from someone who has spend alot of time on the road, that isn't something you take for granted. We will come back when we have time to stay longer and see the local sites the staff was good enough to tell us about. I've never put in a review before but the Plaza Inn and the people who work there deserve a good review for going above and beyond to make sure we had a good stay,

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor and it was really quite.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mike K
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 29, 2012

This hotel is old and dreary, the first clue is the scary, slow and shabby elevator. Their website claims "decorated with warm tones to embrace the senses. Amenities and small touches such as dimmable mood setting lights" is completely false, as is the claim that "you’ll experience double sided pillow top beds, luxurious duvet covers and exquisite pillows to match." There were 2 lamps in the room, so old they had switches in the cord instead of on the lamps, and one ceiling light by the patio door. The patio door was not secured and had no lock, but I was on the 5th floor, so I risked it. The bed had an ancient foam mattress that creaked when you laid on it, completely uncomfortable, and the bedspread was one of those dingy old quilted things that are never washed. NO LUXURIOUS DUVETS as shown in their pictures. In fact the room I was given was so bad that I went back to the front desk and requested to be moved to one of the rooms pictured online. No such room existed. I was moved to an "updated room" that was identical to the first. Tiny and cramped, the mini fridge sat next to the bed and also doubled as an end table. The bathroom had mold on the grout and the shower was equipped with a tub spout mounted high up with a shower head screwed into it. A ragged rusted hole served as a drain. I did not shower. Also, there was no "leather executive desk chair and desk" as advertised, instead there was a fabric chair with very nasty suspicious stains on it. There was a notice taped to the front desk counter that said, "Pool closed today for maintenance" but it was old and ragged, so no telling how long it was there. I only stayed because I was in town for one night, it was prepaid via hotwire.com, and it was late when I checked in, otherwise I would have gone elsewhere. I will not ever stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
PlazaInn, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
I vividly remember this guest, as my front desk agent came to my office to ask for my help in accommodating her. She was unhappy with the king room she had checked inot because it did not "look like the picture on the website". As I had recently taken down the pictures of our Executive Suite, which confused people, I was the one confused! She showed me a picture of the double queen room on her cell phone and I instructed the front desk agent to put her in that room - and to give her the Executive Suite if she wasn't happy with that...at no extra cost... or cancel her reservation without penalty so she could stay at another hotel. I questioned the front desk agent before writing this review and he advised me that she did not want the two double beds and insisted on a king - but, as shown on the website, our king rooms all have colored duvets (which are the EXACT duvets the high priced franchised hotel across from us has in their rooms). He said she went back to the king room and said nothing else so he didn't have a chance to offer her the suite or a refund.

This guest was very unhappy and I'm confident that nothing we could have done would change that. For anyone reading this review, please feel free to ask for me personally if you are unhappy with our accommodations, as I am available to the front desk staff, at all times and assure you that our staff will do anything we can - up to and including cancelling your reservation without charge. Thank you for considering both sides of the review.