“false advertising at its best”

Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown
Ranked #69 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
MESA
“false advertising at its best”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

room had straws, napkins, and several other items that housekeeping "missed" making me wonder if the sheets were actually changed. The breakfast at the neighboring canary cafe was absolutely unacceptable. I don't have words to describe it. They would be far better off not offering the free breakfast than offering the poor excuse for a meal that we received.

Room Tip: the lowest rating for the breakfast was 1 (terrible). This is deceiving, as the service at the resta...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Checked in Sat. Night the 6th of October. The place was gross. Nasty carpet with stained furniture. Carpet was old and torn with cockroach dust around the baseboard. . Sheets had stains blanketswere gross and worn out. Water leaks on the ceiling. Hallways nasty. Grounds were dirty. My son and I looked at the place and even though I had paid $100 we left. No way would I stay the night there. Later review showed someone had been murdered there.Not for a family. None of the pictures look like the real McCoy. pictures aren't even close. BEWARE.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank monte d

Travelers are raving about these Albuquerque hotels

Colorado, United States
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I wasn't sure if this hotel was going up or down. The rooms were clean enough, linens and towels need to be replaced, but were clean. The workout room was closed for maintenance and didn't have a treadmill. The indoor pool and hot tub was ready for new paint. Paint was peeling throughout and the bathroom in the pool area was not working. The restaurant was basic with few choices for breakfast. The furniture in the hall lobby's on our floor were stained. The deck had peeling paint. An outside hot tub was boarded up. The price was too high for the dilapidated state the hotel was in, although it is in a great location. Our room was noisy due to the interstate. I was charged twice for my room and now have to deal with that. The housekeeper knocked on our door at 7:30 because they had switched our room and she wasn't sure we were in there. Everyone was friendly and helpful. The clerk lowered our rate since I had reserved online, and didn't get the conference rate. We were in ABQ for a conference going on at Embassy Suites, but didn't want to pay their rate. I do hope this hotel gets renovated, since I would then stay there again, but not until.

Room Tip: Get a room on the side away from the expressway.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Great location overlooking downtown, rooms are okay. One towel had nasty stains on it. One of the smoke detectors in the hall kept chirping with a low battery. Overall the place is just rundown. Breakfast was free and good--better than most. Free parking and free wi-fi. Overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2012

This hotel is not what they advertise the pictures don't look anything like the hotel after walking in I would have been happy to stay at a motel 6! The sheets were stained. The halls had dead bugs. Prostitutes were walking in and out. The "balcony" is joined with everyones anyone has access to your door. The front desk lady was very nice to not charge us even though we had reservations we left immediately. Later after we left we found out a maid was murdered in march by a Occupant. Creepy... Do not stay here.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Lolojua
PlazaInn, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
I understand reviews from guests that feel like our hotel is not what they wanted - but I do not understand why anyone would go out of there way to do a review such as this one. There might have been a bug in the hallway. We are professionally sprayed each week - and this is New Mexico...but to say "the balconies are joined with everyones anyone has access to your door" is simply not true. And to make reverance to the random act of violence we experienced when one our housekeepers was attacked is not only insensitive but juvenille. The person that was arrested for the incident was not a guest here - and the police arrested him the next day when he killed another victim in the same way that was unfortunate enough to meet him at a bus stop. Was it the theatres fault in Aurora because a man opened fire on the patrons there - or the subway's fault in NY - not to mention all the schools that have experienced such unpredictable acts of violence. If you didn't like the hotel - fine - we refunded your money....but there is no need to make such ridiculous claims about murderers being occupants here or prostitues walking in and out.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I should have known when I pulled in the hotel. It looked run down and a little scary in the dark. But I went inside anyway, thinking about the beautiful pictures I saw on the website. Well, the lobby didn't look anything like the website pic, but I checked in anyway, thinking surely the rooms were glorious.
I went into the elevator and pressed the button marked Basement, thinking that was odd...maybe I didn't hear the desk clerk very well. But, no, when the doors opened, I saw the sign pointing me in the direction of my room. So I trudged on, but by now I'm thinking maybe I am at the wrong hotel.
When I opened the door to my room, I could see the stains on the bedcovers and another stain on the upholstered chair from the door. And the carpet looked like a herd of elephants had recently held a dance contest there. Ok, so I think to myself, it's close to midnight, I'm tired from driving all day. I will stay tonight and find another hotel in the morning.
When I pulled back the covers on the bed to check for bedbugs (as everyone should do in any hotel!!), I happened to glance over to the fridge. I thought, well that's a plus, I can keep a few beverages in there. Then I saw the 2" cockroach lying there on the floor. Hmmmm...I didn't see any of those in the website pictures. Needless to say, that did it for me.
I went back to the front desk, told the guy I won't be staying there and to cancel my charge card, that I didn't even want to see Plaza Inn on my statement at all. Then I got in my car, drove to a safe, well-lit area and got out my pc. Ten minutes later I was checked into the Candlewood Suites, which looked exactly like its website pics. Five minutes after that, I sent an email to my colleagues and told them under no circumstances should they stay at Plaza Inn when they come to Albuquerque next week.
Shame on you, Plaza Inn, for showing such wonderful rooms and the lobby on your website. Tell the truth when you advertise....either show the real stuff or update your hotel. What a disappointment. I am still mad a whole week later! I will say that the desk clerk was very nice when I checked in. I could tell he was aggravated when I left ten minutes later, but he remained professional throughout.

Room Tip: Stay with the larger chain hotels if you are not familiar with an area. Stay one night, then ask ar...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Sheila C
PlazaInn, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
As I have stated in the past, the pictures on the website include our Executive Suite, which is available for guests to rent. The outside hot tub is only available for private parties. The website also shows out meeting and banquet rooms, which are also rented seperately. All of the things the hotel offers is under "professional photos". There are pictures of individual guest rooms on the sites, as well. Some guests have been kind enough to post actual pictures of their own which include the room they are in, the view and other amenities under the section for "traveler photos". Please look at those, as well.

I do want to apologize for this particular guest being assigned to a room on the basement level. Those rooms have not been renovated, except for the new mattresses. A few of them are pet rooms, which actually open out to the courtyard. We are professionally managed for pests but once in a while on the ground level we do find insects. I did locate this guests information and made sure she was not charged.
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I have a daughter with a disability, and we travel to Albuquerque at least once a month for her drs. appointments. We have been coming here for 9 years now. We won't ever stay anywhere else! The staff is so friendly and everyone goes out of their way to make sure they remain our home away from home. We have never experienced any difficulties with anything here. They now have free breakfast at the restaurant next door, and dinner in the lobby on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays! Who can beat that with their rates?! I wouldn't change a thing here! It may be old but it is beautiful, clean, and definetly homey. My daughter refers to it as "Her Hotel." She wants me to add that it is Terrific! Look no further for the perfect place to stay in Albuquerque!

• Stayed August 2012