“Disappointing. Don't believe their website!”

Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown
Ranked #69 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Denver, Colorado
“Disappointing. Don't believe their website!”
Reviewed June 19, 2011

The hotel website makes this hotel look almost elegant. ABSOLUTELY UNTRUE. While the lobby and breakfast area are newly decorated and well maintained, the hotel rooms are a disaster! Ours was furnished in what I can only call "Retro Salvation Army," and that's being generous: peeling wallpaper, curtain sliding off the rod, cracked and crumpled lampshade, dirty armchair with sagging cushion held in place with velcro! Lighting in the room was terrible. No lamp to sit and read by; had to stand up to turn off the over-bed lights, and the bathroom fixture flickered like a strobe. I'm told they are in the process of rennovating. If true, I can only say: not a moment too soon! The staff, on the other hand, were cheerful, attentive, and eager to help where they could (not to mention apologetic.) The condition of the rooms appears to be lack of concern by the ownership, not the staff. Breakfast is nice, and we found the free shuttle service to and from town and the airport to be extremely helpful, particularly since there are NO shops or restaurants anywhere nearby (again, don't trust the website!!)

Room Tip: Double rooms face the highway. Take a single!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed June 16, 2011

The plaza was super convenient to everything in Albuquerque. The airport, old town, nob hill and UNM are all right there.

Room Tip: Just call them and they will take care of everyth.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Roswell, New Mexico
Reviewed June 8, 2011

I had not stayed at the Plaza Inn for over 2 years. It wasn't bad back then although the rooms were old and showing wear.

This trip was horrible! Short list: mis-booking of room (I used the website and instead of 1 room, was told I booked 3; they graciously removed 2), my confirmed room was not available (not 1 of 3) and I was told the hotel was overbooked as the excuse (this was 1 1/2 hours after check-in time), 8 door keys that did not work, website is out of date and misleading (NO restaurant as advertized, rooms have not been updated in years, room chair had hole in it, and there was trash under the bed and armoire), roaches in the hallway, stink throughout the hotel, open holes in the elevators ceiling, and lastly room charges removed AND THEN rebilled 3 days later (without explanation).

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else! There are other places.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank CTAWilson
PlazaInn, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown, responded to this review, June 16, 2011
I realize that responding after the fact doesn't do anything for the guest who had the problem, but I would like to at least clarify and offer explanations. Our elevators are under renovation and we have a sign just outside the door asking for our guests patience and understanding. This also accounts for the unpleasant metalic smell permeating the lower level of the hotel. The new chairs and lampshades just arrived this week - so that problem has already been corrected. As for the "dead roach", we have a professional exterminator scheduled every two weeks, and as our ground level upons onto grass courtyards, it is possible - anywhere in Albuquerque. The restaraunt next door did close - but we are at the contract stage with another to open soon. Until that time, we have redesigned our breakfast area to add more hot entrees - and our shuttle would have gladly taken you to any restaurant - or picked up your order if you didn't want to go out. We pride ourself in excellant service and would have done what ever was needed to accommodate your needs.
There isn't much I can say concerning the duplicate reservations (for three different room types) - as they were made on the internet - and Guest Services can only put in the information they receive. The same holds true with the charges - we reversed them from our terminal but are not in control of the bank or how long they hold your funds. All I can do is apologize for your inconvenience and hope those reading this will contact me personally if you have ANY troubles while at the Plaza Inn.

Travelers are raving about these Albuquerque hotels

Clovis, NM
Reviewed May 27, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel several times when I have traveled to Albuquerque. This trip is the first trip that I wasnt impressed with the accommodations. First I was placed in the basement level which absolutely stunk of cigarette smoke when I asked for a non-smoking room. Both of my children and myself have severe allergies and asthma which was worsen by the smell and air quality. Second when we got in the room there was no couch bed even though the person at the front desk said there was and typically for the room type in past experience there has been. The keys stopped working to the room several times. Overall very disappointing stay at a hotel I have grown very fond of.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
PlazaInn, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
I am so sorry tyour accomodations weren't what you have come to expect. As with all hotels, some rooms are nicer than others, and when we are sold-out, as we were during your stay, people tend to smoke where they shouldn't. Had you notified the frontdesk, I'm sure they would have moved you and your children to a more appropriate room. I have retrieved your information from your reservation and will notify you personally to make amends for your inconvenience, and hope that you will continue to stay with us.

All of our staff, including myself, are always available and will do our utmost to make sure our guests have a great time at the PLAZA, so please let us know about your concerns so we have a chance to correct them.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed May 5, 2011

I've never taken the time to write a review for any business, but the service and accommodations that i received at the Plaza Inn was exceptional. It seems that one of the things that i miss most in our society today is the lack of civility, and pride in ones work. The staff here went above and beyond to make my stay comfortable. My room was spotless, the staff very professional, even the shuttle rides that the hotel offers was a pleasant experience. This hotel has EARNED my business.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Cortez, Colorado
Reviewed May 5, 2011

Now I understand why I was asked to put my compliments on this website rather than the Comment Card I always fill-out in the room. I have to fly to Albuquerque at least once a month (and have for the past year and a half) for medical reasons. Finding the Plaza Inn was the best thing that ever happened! Not only do I save a bundle on a nice room which is ALWAYS CLEAN & COMFORTABLE (and always has a pillowtop mattress) - but now I don't have to rent a car for the three or four days I'm there. Their shuttle picks me up at the airport - takes me to my appointments - and even to shopping & or out to a show... and with downtown on one side and a beautiful lush neighborhood on the other, I even love walking around the area and if it's too cold or windy - there's a GREAT exercise center on the bottom floor. One of the reviews was actually complaining about the outdoor hot tub & picnic area - it's only APRIL...and those are for the summer...and the "$5 plastic chairs on the balcony"- she should have looked a little closer at the Embassy Suites across the road (which is where I was staying when I discovered the Plaza). They have the same chairs - just a different color!! All I can say is if you want to pay $179 for a more luxurious hotel - do it - but as for me I'll take the outstanding personal service, the clean & comfy room, and the nice breakfast I get at the Plaza any day!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank coloradocody93
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed April 26, 2011

I thought the hotel itself wasn't very nice. The hallways smelled a lot like cigarrette and we stayed on the non smoking area. The bathroom tub got stopped up and we didnt get enough towels. The room was nice, comfty bed. The pool was not in service so that was a bummer too. I guess you get what you paid for since the rate is cheap.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple