“Clean, Safe, Inexpensive” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #85 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Clean, Safe, Inexpensive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

I've been using tripadvisor to pick my hotels on my cross-country trip and decided I've been mooching so heavily on the reviews and have benefited so greatly that I really needed to contribute. Last night was my first hotel stay, at this Motel 6 (don't confuse it with the older one across the road; this one is at 6015 Iliff Rd. NW) and I'm afraid it has ruined me for all remaining hotels on this trip. The room was clean, big, newly decorated (in a crisp contemporary/retro style known to savvy decorators as Ikea Chic), and easily accessed to my car, parked 20 feet away. When I arrived at the hotel, exhausted from a long day, I was greeted by a very helpful employee named Courtney who, along with her male coworker, worked to select a room for me that would be private and quiet. Once I entered it, I literally did not leave the room until morning so I appreciated the selection. For somewhere around 40 bucks, I got a clean, safe and peaceful stay right off the highway (I-40) where I would gladly stay again. Note, I wasn't going there to swim. If I had been, their 3.5' deep pool (formerly a jacuzzi when the hotel was its old brand) would have disappointed me. Likewise if I hadn't read here in other reviews about the disclaimer they would have me sign relating to being kicked out if I get arrested or something like that, I might have been put off. I wasn't. I got courteous, professional treatment and a real value hotel.

My ultimate mark of comfort in a hotel room is whether or not I will sit or lay on the bedspread. (Seriously... germs, people. Eww.) This bed's cover stayed on all night.

Sleep Quality gets dinged due to the odd creeks, cracks & thuds that woke me up a few times during the night. Overall rating based on category (budget hotel) & my expectation (low).

Room Tip: If you have a lot of bags to bring in, ask if they'll give you a ground floor room. They were ha...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank BetteBlue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

We have stayed in Motel 6s en route through Albuquerque many times, and were happy when they upgraded the rooms in this one since the one across the street is horrible. However, this time was the straw that broke the camel's back for us, and we won't stay here again. Yes, it's cheap, and we only needed a place to sleep, but this neighborhood is awful and we didn't feel safe. Our room was on the back side of the motel close to the freeway, and when we arrived there was a woman 10 feet from our door sitting on the sidewalk smoking and talking to herself. My sons and I found the environment creepy, and adding that to the extremely low-budget feeling of the room made us feel like we never wanted to come back again. The beds were very uncomfortable, and none of us slept much.

It may be that with a room location closer to the front of the hotel it would have been acceptable, but it's still not a neighborhood you want to spend any time in, and there are lots of other budget motels in Albuquerque.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Anonymous mom

Travelers are raving about these Albuquerque hotels

Blackfalds, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

Ok place to stay, nothing special but adequite for short stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank richarda855
Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

I was traveling through New Mexico and just needed a place to sleep for the evening. I was very surprised with the quality of the motel considering the extremely low rate. Check in and check out was easy and fast. The staff was helpful in suggesting late night places to eat (the motel is surrounded by fast food chains). This motel has been recently upgraded. My room was really large and had a king size bed as well as a table and chairs, flat screen TV. Overall the room had a modern feel to it with wood flooring and bright colored paint. I was really impressed with the stay and would recommend it if you need a cheap bed to sleep in.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank GoChIpSgO
Erickson
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

This is one of the upgraded Motel 6's. It is nice to see that the chain is moving forward with its renovations. It is typical Motel 6, offering basic accommodation at a low price. The location offers easy access to the Interstate and has a great buffet next door. Good value.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank EricksonNtp
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2012

Firstly, there are two Motel 6's across from each other. This is much nicer and appears to attract a slightly better crowd. It's nice and new looking and clean but at the end of the day it's still a Motel 6. Walls are paper thing and I could hear next door and upstairs having showers and stomping around the floors. Convenient location and not too noisy.
Caution, if you're under 21 they won't let you check in. So make sure you have a good fake i.d :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ET8
St. Louis
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

Bed wasn't very comfy, decor was modern and nice, but the room smelled like body odor. Yuck. We only had one washcloth and some horrible soap that I later found out I was allergic to. We woke up to a sandstorm the next morning. That was interesting. Other than that, it's Motel 6 and you get what you pay for. It's ok for an overnighter.

Room Tip: Smell your room before agreeing to the room,.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple