“Pretty Average All Around”

Albuquerque Marriott
Ranked #52 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Pretty Average All Around”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I stay here pretty much every year and will be coming back in a few weeks. Mainly, I come here 'cause I'm Marriott Platinum and am not all that enthusiastic about other ABQ hotel options. Unfortunately, this was another pretty so-so stay following up on one last fall that was unexceptional, too. This time, the front desk staff member didn't seem to know what to do with a Platinum check-in (even though I presented my card, she had to ask me what level I was, said she'd never seen "one of those cards" before, and couldn't find a place for me on the concierge floor). I ended up in a room that's clearly in need of renovation -- lots of scuffs on the walls, a door that didn't quite close properly, and peeling wallpaper/paint in the bathroom. Rooms here are also on the small side (what was once "standard" for a business Marriott, but many years ago when this one was built). This time, there was a concerted staff effort to be friendly - frankly, I've never seen quite so many staff members just standing around in the lobby and outside the elevators. One actually practically screamed "HELLO!" to me at one point. Another wanted to jump in the elevator and push my floor button for me. Another tried to grab my luggage from me and help me into the elevator. Several of us in my group who were visiting actually found all this pretty darn annoying. It was just way beyond "helpful" and really didn't leave a positive impression.

2 Thank FlyGuy47
AlbuquerqueMarriott, Director of Sales at Albuquerque Marriott, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for posting this review of our property. Guest feedback is the best source we have to use to show us what we need to improve upon. I want to apologize for your arrival experience. This is not a Marriott standard and I understand how frustrating that was for you. I also want to apologize for the condition of your guest room. I have shown the respective departments the details of your stay. This will assist every department in focusing on these issues to keep them from occurring in the future. We do want to thank you for your business and we look forward to your next visit. Enjoy this lovely day. Take care.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Virginia
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Strangely enough this 17 story hotel is not really near downtown Albuquerque. It's about 5 miles to the east in the Uptown area. This provides lots of shopping and dining opportunities within walking distance of the hotel. Not really a family venue there are lots of staff in the lobby and the bar area always seemed busy. I didn't grow up with such hotels so I am always a bit put off by the obsequious atmosphere. Marriott Rewards guest will probably find the concierge lounge pleasant but the refreshments were disappointing

Room Tip: Even number rooms seem to face the Interstate and so are a bit noisy
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate your review of our hotel. We apologize that you were not satisfied with the overall hotel stay. Our goal is for every guest to leave happy and I am sorry that you did not feel that way upon your departure. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your business is truly appreciated.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 16, 2013

In planning a business/anniversary trip, I contacted the hotel to assist my husband and I with preparation. Not only were they willing to assist me with general hotel requests, they were quite timely and the manager personally contacted me to assure me that my special requests were being addressed. We ultimately had to cancel our trip due to unforeseen reasons, however, this establishment has certainly set a high standard! Based on the hands-on approach shown, we are sure to visit in the future. I believe we will experience a VERY good visit at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
AlbuquerqueMarriott, Director of Sales at Albuquerque Marriott, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you so much for posting this review of our property. We are so glad our staff's brilliant customer service met all of your expectations. We look forward to your next arrival. Again, thank you for your review and enjoy this lovely day. Take care.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Good Marriott property - my concierge level room were nice. Pool area good, breakfast was typical Marriott. Handy location right off I-40. The staff went out of their way to accommodate my requests. Would stay here again if in ABQ.

Room Tip: High floor, facing the mountains
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ansh100
AlbuquerqueMarriott, Director of Sales at Albuquerque Marriott, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and that you received Marriott's brilliant service. Your business is greatly appreciated. Take care.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 24, 2013

This is not the most charming Marriott I've ever seen, but it's a reasonable business hotel, easy to find and not too far from the airport and the northern part of town. Across the street from Target and a few fast food places, if you want to eat out without having to drive: just walk (something few people ever do in New Mexico!)

Good service, nice lobby bar/restaurant with limited menu but good quality offerings for both food and drink.

Rooms are tidy, have the standard of comfort you can expect, though nothing to write home about.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank FernandoLanzer
AlbuquerqueMarriott, Director of Sales at Albuquerque Marriott, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for posting this review of our property. Guest feedback helps us better understand what our guests are experiencing. We truly appreciate your business and hope to have the pleasure of providing you with Marriott's brilliant customer service, again, in the future.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed here one night on our way from Colorado to Oklahoma. This is a nice place. Great bar, clean rooms, nice people. Good place for the money. Right off Interstate 40. Lots of things to do in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
AlbuquerqueMarriott, Director of Sales at Albuquerque Marriott, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you so much for posting this review of our property. We are so pleased to hear you were able to experience Marriott's brilliant customer service, great bar and clean rooms! Your business is greatly appreciated. Again, thanks for the feedback. Take care.
Pittsboro, North Carolina
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed at the Albuquery...Albuteroly...Albuqueeny...dang it.

I stayed at this hotel while on a business trip, visiting for a week and a half. I found the facility to be very welcoming and well appointed, despite there being TWO wedding receptions at the hotel the weekend I checked in, and a full national convention there the week I was there as well. The staff was well prepared for the influx of guests. The service I received was as good as if I were the only guest on the property.

The room itself was very clean and nicely presented, including chocolates on the pillow. The television was new and worked perfectly, with a wide channel selection (no premium cable though). I was impressed with the desk's amenities, as well. An input panel allowed for my computer to connect to the TV via HDMI, VGA, or other inputs, and a cable was provided for same. A cable was also provided for the internet connectivity, which was a nice touch.

The view is definitely a selling point. My room faced west overlooking the pool, and each morning of my stay there were at least two hot air balloons hanging in the sky when I opened the curtains in the morning. Albuquerque is known for its hot air ballooning, and hosts an annual festival of hundreds of them. I recommend if you're in town for a holiday that you find a hot air balloon company to fly with.

The hotel offers internet service via WiFi as well as direct connection. However, the internet service costs 14.95 per 24 hour period, which is frankly outrageous for a hotel room costing as much as these do. A two dollar breakfast at McDonald's would get the same internet access. In 2013 I don't think that internet service is a "luxury" at a hotel as nice and as expensive as this. Internet service should be (and very often is) an assumed and included service, the same as maid service or a functioning television. The staff was very attentive to my (gentle) complaints in this regard, and explained that it was simply the hotel's policy. I will say that I was told that "most" Marriots have a similar policy, which in my not inconsiderable experience is not the case. However, it did not ruin my stay by any means, and as I said my complaint was heard and passed on to higher management, and was satisfied as best they were able.

There is a very well stocked gift shop/convenience store in the lobby, which is not affiliated with the hotel, but stays open till ten o'clock pm every night. The prices are not exactly what you'd find in a grocery store, but are not as inflated as, say, an airport. An ATM is also available, if you feel like spending three dollars to get cash.

A very nice and affordable breakfast is offered in the restaurant area off the lobby, and the lobby bar stays open late and is pretty well frequented, for those looking to tip a few back.

The pool is a very nice feature, and I was quite impressed. It is an indoor/outdoor pool, with passage allowing you to swim between the two. There is a seat to allow handicapped members of your family to take a dip easily as well. The gym looked well stocked but I, to my shame, did not partake of its benefits. I was a little disappointed with the lack of seating, though. There appears to be a lot more space than there are chairs, and more than once I found myself spreading a towel on the concrete for want of a place to sit.

I very much enjoyed my stay at the Albuquerque Marriott, and would not hesitate to visit again.

Room Tip: Rooms with windows facing east will light up like a furnace when the sun hits them. Get a westward...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank bzkarasek
AlbuquerqueMarriott, Director of Sales at Albuquerque Marriott, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you so much for posting this review of our property. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. The photos you took in your guest room and in other areas of the hotel are beautiful. I do apologize for the WiFi charges; however, I will share your disappointment with the corporate office. We look forward to your next stay with us and hope to see you soon! Your business is truly appreciated.