“One of my favorites in Albuquerque”

Albuquerque Marriott
Ranked #48 of 143 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed November 7, 2011

This is one of the nicer properties in Albuquerque. It is centrally located, close to the malls and the interstate, with many restaurants within walking distance. The pool area is especially well done. One can swim under a wall and end up in an outdoor pool! There is a sauna and a hot tub. Be sure to get the sauna started before you get in for a sweat. The staff is personable. The beds are comfy. There are no true luxury hotels in Albuquerque, but this Marriott is comfortable and reasonably clean.
The halls leading to the rooms could use some attention and the plates from our neighbor's dinner were still there when we checked out. Also, they had a lovely water setup, complete with pineapple and melon infused water. However, they remove it at 7:30 pm. Why? I like water at all hours, especially at night after I have been out on the town.
Still, it's a good choice for Abq!

Room Tip: Get a room facing east for an amazing view of sunrise above the Sandia Mountains.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 2, 2011

We were on the road all day and would like more than just a bed in a strange city. We would like a hotel to feel like home ~ a little like home, anyway. While bell boys to carry in our luggage are nice, they don't make up for smiling, caring faces, spacious rooms or free innernet.
In this day and age when even McDonald's and Denny's lets me use thier innernet for free, I would expect the same from a large upscale hotel chain. My husband did pay the $9.99 to use the innernet, after calling the front desk to confirm that he was REALLY getting charged for it, but guess what, if I wanted to use my computer I would have to pay the $9.99 too.
Also, there were only a couple of handicap parking spaces in front of the hotel, others were reservered for gold or platinum card holders. They offered no breakfast, not even doughnuts. Next time I am making reservations, I will read my hotel guide more carefully and ask more questions.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lms1950
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I stayed here for two nights at the tail end of my Southwest vacation.
The beds are VERY comfortable. I got a corner room with one king and it was very spacious and comfortable. I was on a lower floor with not much of a view. I personally prefer to stay in a hotel that has a small refrigerator, but these were not offered. The staff was friendly, the restaurant was so-so. I thought that the breakfast was too expensive for what they offered. All and all not a bad place. I would recommend it for business or for a short stay.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are spacious.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 16, 2011

I've stayed at this hotel for 2-3 days every fall for at least the past 20 years, maybe even more like 30 years. Unlike one of the other reviews I read here, over the years I've found that their front desk personnel are generally above average. Though I can't say they ever did anything extraordinary, I also can't say that I've ever had a major problem with a stay here... which is what I want most from a stay at a Marriott --- predictability!

One suggestion, in case the hotel management is reading this... if/when you resurface your parking lot, it really is time to re-stripe the spaces! They're way too narrow and, although many are labeled "compact" (thus acknowledging their narrowness), this doesn't help us find a workable parking space on a high-occupancy night. And, it's Albuquerque, so you've got lots of pickup trucks and large SUV's that people park in your lot. That makes it particularly challenging for most of us to get in and out of our standard rental car sedan when there's only a foot and a half on each side of the car! :-)

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 15, 2011

We stayed 2 nights during the balloon fiesta. The rooms were nice and clean plus we had a great view of the mountains. The staff were helpful. My only complaints were the price of the internet and the sound proofing. The kid across the hall cried and screamed at all hours.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I've stayed at this hotel on three previous occasions whilst visiting the Balloon Fiesta and agree with other recent contributors about the location and staff, my experience of check in couldn't have been better. However, where I can't agree is my experience of the restaurant this time, having eaten both dinner and breakfast on past trips I thought this would be a safe bet for dinner. Unfortunately I hate to have to say this but the service was poor and the food even worse,

I decided to have the filet mignon and "Yukon Gold" mash. The filet was excellent but the Yukon Gold mash was just about luke warm, this was accompanied by a single baby carrot approximately 4" long 3/8" in diameter cut in half and also luke warm. After bringing my food the server disappeared and didn't come around .to ask if was everything was ok with the meal, which is unusual for the US, so it was only when I'd finished did she ask if everything was ok with the meal, probably due to virtually all the Yukon Gold mash still being on my plate.
I said that the mash was cold, for which she apologised and took away the plate, when she returned she offered a free desert which I refused. She then came back with the bill and said that 20% had been deducted, a gesture but I would much rather have had a decent meal. It might sound strange but I don't blame the server, I suggest this is a management issue because at no time did I see anyone who resembled a restaurant manager present even when an issue was apparent they left it to the young server to face up.

This may have been a one off, or perhaps I was just unlucky especially as a lot of the events at this years fiesta were impacted by poor weather.

To finish on a positive note, as an elite member I used the concierge lounge, the regular staff both in the evenings and at breakfast were highly efficient and pleasant, there was a reasonable selection of food and beverages to be had at breakfast.

I used the internet in the room and found it to be very quick.

Overall the service was very good, would I return yes but avoid the restaurant most certainly.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 7, 2011

Check in was a nightmare. The manager on duty said he had only been there two weeks and didn't know how to check me in or find my reservation. So, my company sent a credit card with a 2014 expiration date and the manager said the card was expired :( He said the computer was down anyway so I could stand at the front desk for 15 minutes while the computer finishes its accounting or I could give him a personal credit card and he could check me in plus precharge it for incidentals. I waited the 15 minutes but it was a waste. He said I'll put you in a room but put it on your card and you can straighten it all out with the next manager ????? (There is still more to the nightmare)

So, I go to the room finally, start to unpack and change clothes and I get a phone call. The manager says I found your reservation but you have to change rooms. If you come back to the front desk I'll put you in a different room and charge your corporate account, otherwise, I'll charge your personal credit card. So, I had to repack, get back into my other clothes and go to the front desk to get a new room.

I'm truly speechless that this is a Marriott.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business