“excellent stay”

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Reviewed June 3, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My wife and I went here one weekend just to get away and see something different. Needless to say we were pleasantly surprised. The hotel was of course the La Quinta Inn and was good for the price. Located close to the Airport, and the Air Force Base.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Reviewed May 17, 2013

The first time I came here, I had a good experience, which I wrote about already. The second time, we were stuck in a smoker's room because there was an event in the area and the staff claimed that I didn't specify non-smoking in my reservation (not true). The room they gave us wasn't even cleaned and had been used (trash not emptied, bed rumpled), so we asked that they switch us out, which they did. But the new room was absolutely vile and disgusting with terrible ventilation and smoke permeating everything, and my clothing and luggage needed to be cleaned several times afterward to get the smell out.

I called LaQuinta and did get a refund for this stay, but the hotel should have done something for me on the spot. I let go of the money and time lost on cleaning.

I am a reasonable person and decided it was probably a fluke, and to give them another chance this last trip, booking another reservation online. However, I noticed that even though I specified non-smoking while booking (it was an option as a check-off), that it did not turn up anywhere on the print-out, so I was sure to call La Quinta (both the hotel and HQ) to make extra triple sure that we were guaranteed a non-smoking room.

Well, I was finally informed by the very polite agent at the National HQ that La Quinta DOES NOT GUARANTEE NON-SMOKING ROOMS, and that they only pass on the request as a SUGGESTION. When I asked them why, they gave a lame excuse that it's because they don't charge the credit card when taking the reservation, and that is only to hold a reservation. That is absolutey outrageous to me and completely unacceptable. They should, at the very least, offer an option to have the card charged in advance to guarantee the non-smoking room, but in my opinion, that is still not acceptable.

I immediately cancelled my reservation and booked the Days Inn, which is right nearby. Not only did I get a deal which was $20 cheaper than my La Quinta reservation (thanks to a sale on Expedia), but apparently this Days Inn is a completely smoke-free hotel. It also has a pool and hot tub, which you don't, so eat that, La Quinta.

In fact, there are plenty of comparable hotels in the area that are 100% smoke free, as I found out. Next time I book any hotel reservation, I will be extra careful about this issue.

2  Thank K80NYC
Reviewed May 16, 2013

At check-in, seeing a security guard and high fencing on one side made me a little nervous. The area has hotels and restaurants and the hotel has homes along one border. It didn't look sketchy but the midtown pet-friendly hotel was fully booked so we tried this one. The room was comfortable, quiet and clean - no complaints. Travelling with a dog so they put us next to the grassy dog exercise area which we appreciated. Breakfast was minimal - but ok. Friendly check-in fellow.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The best room for the money I've ever found. La Quinta provided a high end Samsung TV, great bed/pillows and a real desk. A/C worked perfectly and the room was quiet. The location worked great as I was consulting at the University of New Mexico, plus five restaurants within a block. This hotel is now my place to stay in Albuquerque.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business