“A thoroughly romantic weekend stay in Albuquerque!”
Review of Hotel Andaluz

Hotel Andaluz
Ranked #7 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York, NY
“A thoroughly romantic weekend stay in Albuquerque!”
Reviewed January 26, 2010

The Hotel Andaluz delivered on every promise made in its advertising! The hotel's stunning decor grabs you immediately in a a lobby which features semi-private gathering/drinking/conversation areas. The South Western art throughout the hotel was very impressive. The rooms are comfortable and well laid out. Our bed was especially plush and restful. We truly appreciated all the room amenities including a roomy shower, bath robes, signature soap and lotion, and ample closet space. Though there were a host of great restaurant options in the city, we only ate in hotel restaurant. The service was first rate and the food, at two breakfasts and a dinner made our romantic visit more than worthwhile. I was especially impressed with The Andaluz' reception area, where you actually sit at a desk and check in. We found the staff to be very knowledgeable and helpful. I would recommend the Andaluz to anyone looking for a memorable stay in Albuquerque!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NYMDL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
Newberg, OR
Reviewed January 26, 2010

I arrived at the Hotel Andaluz in a tizzy... A nearby pharmacy had dropped the ball on a prescription renewal I thought would be ready for pick up...it was rush hour on the freeway...and I managed to find the hotel with only minutes to spare before a dinner meeting with clients.

...and at the front desk I discovered that my reservation had been made for the wrong date...Could have been a train wreck ! But instead the hotel's Teresa Reyes managed to calm me down with assurances that a comfortable room awaited in any event. Her steady charm put me at ease. She recommended a reliable pharmacy that would deliver said prescription in the morning...and even followed through to be sure her colleague on the morning shift checked in to insure I had what I needed for a successful stay.

Service beyond the call of duty...to be remembered for the next time I visit Albuquerque !
Thanks Teresa !

1 Thank DATNewberg
Midland, Texas
Reviewed January 25, 2010

I'm writing this review from my room at the Hotel Andaluz. It's a pretty cool place. Old downtown hotel that has been extensively remodeled in a very nice updated style that still keeps remnants of the old place (which I'd never seen, but can catch glimpses of in the architecture and details). Some very cool design details. Lobby is fantastic with cool little nooks which would be great for hanging out with drinks and friends. Room is very nicely appointed. Bathroom is fairly tiny as might be expected in an older hotel, but it's also very nicely appointed. Great huge Samsung LCD HD TV (I hate it when hotels have nice TVs but don't get the HD service to go with it, no such problem here, picture is great). WIFI is very fast and FREE! Staff may not be the smoothest I've ever seen, but boy are they eager to please. You can tell they are very proud of the place and want you to like it. It's working - I like it. I'll be back.

Oh yeah, had dinner in the restaurant. Very nice. Good not great food, but certainly above average and I would gladly return. Would definitely enjoy the patio in warmer weather and would also enjoy having drinks in the cool lobby sometime.

I've only stayed at a couple of Albuquerque hotels, but I'd definitely put this at the top so far, particularly if you want to be close to downtown.

1 Thank Midlandcat
Seattle
Reviewed January 24, 2010

The $40 million, 4-year restoration has once again made this historic hotel elegant. Our accomodations, with a separate sitting room, were impecable and spacious. The staff was professional and attentive. The food fabulous. We enjoyed our week stay and highly reccomend the Hotel Andaluz to anyone considering a stay in Albuquerque. The downtown location is central and conveniently located for many area attractions.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HolidaysAndSun
Rochester
Reviewed January 22, 2010

I stayed at hotel Andaluz for a period of three days and enjoyed my stay very much. The hotel staffs were very nice and courteous and it seemed they were always glad to help in any way they could. I am especially thankful to Brian Rael for giving me a ride to the airport. Brian saw me waiting for the taxi, which for some reason did not turn up on time. Realizing that I was getting late for my flight, Brian offered to give me a ride up to the airport which I gladly accepted. I really appreciated Brian’s help in this situation, because of which I was able to catch my flight on time. I gladly recommend hotel Andaluz to anyone coming to Albuquerque.

1 Thank jgd-abq
California
Reviewed January 20, 2010

We booked the smallest room (the Classic?) and were upgraded to the Andaluz, a beautiful spacious room. We took a tour of the rooms on our last morning and the Classic was pretty small. I'm not sure I would book it in a busier season when I could be assured of an upgrade. The Andaluz is truly beautiful in a very unique way. Its Moroccan theme is based on the Spanish Moors who came to New Mexico early in its history. The mezzanine floor is a small museum with lots of information on local museums, theaters, dance, etc., everything a visitor needs to know. There is also a library downstairs with two computers with a printer for complimentary use. There was live music on weekend nights. The room was very quiet, although there was some street noise on Saturday night. The hotel does not have its own fitness room, but offers complimentary admission to the fitness club a block away. We were able to take a free yoga class there, which was wonderful. I will definitely stay at the Andaluz again.

Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank SKLN
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed January 20, 2010

This recently restored hotel (it was originally built in 1939 by Conrad Hilton -- supposedly his first) has gorgeous decor in the common areas: stained glass, chandeliers, colors, and four or five private reservable rooms on one side of the lobby. The small rooms are blocked with a curtain when in use. Each had a distinct theme, with muted lights and stunning decorations. One had a waterfall flowing over colored tiles, another a recessed area with pottery, each one beautiful and soothing. There's a library with books, newspapers, and magazine, as well as a computer with free internet access. I booked a "standard" room, which was beautifully appointed but almost too small for two people. The space between the foot of the bed and the wall was about 2 feet. I realized after looking at the hotel map on the door that the room we were in was the smallest type in the hotel.

The bathroom was very small, and the toilet was behind the door, requiring the door to be shut to access it. The hotel brags that it's "eco-friendly", and has bottles of shampoo, lotion, and soap mounted on the shower wall and next to the sink instead of individual bottles. The two bottles on the sink were both lotion instead of one of them being soap, which the hotel staff corrected after we wondered why our hands were getting soft but not clean. The check-in process is a bit strange. Instead of going to a reception desk, there's a small room with two people at desks with computers to check people in and out. If there's a crowd, it's very slow. At checkout, I suggested to the clerk that because the hotel was not nearly full, they could have put us in a bigger room rather than the tiny one that was in the class we booked. I received an apology and an offer of a free night's stay in a future visit. Nice people, beautiful surroundings, and within walking distance of lots of restaurants and bars.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple