“Great experience!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
“Great experience!”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Beautiful hotel, rooftop bar/restaurant with live music, though it ended a little early for a Saturday night @ 9. Food and service, both in the rooftop and downstairs restaurants, was very good. Valet parking, friendly and courteous staff. Highly recommend.

Monica S, Manager at Hotel Andaluz, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear ChuburnaFound,
Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and had the opportunity to experience Ibiza and the live entertainment we offer on the weekends. We hope to see you back soon!

Assistant Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Now I know why Conde Nast made this one of its #1 hotels. And the AAA has this as a four Diamond hotel. This place is fabulous!
I've been watching for this hotel to open for 3 years, driving by and sneaking a peek through the windows. I am so thrilled.
Conrad Hilton built this hotel and now it has been totally refurbished with LEED standards and updates. This old hotel, a block from the railroad station was beautiful then, but is extraordinary now! Whoever did the work and decorated, did a spectacular job. When you walk in, you look around and go WOW! There is an indoor fountain bubbling in the middle of the lobby.Sculpture and craftsmanship is everywhere you look and the old and the new is seamless. I loved the library on the first floor and it has art, too. On the second floor, which overhangs the lobby, there is even more lovely things to look at. Down the two walkways to the center are murals with historical references to New Mexico.
Our room was an ADA room and we loved it. It was quiet and cozy with plenty of room. Comfortable beds and pillows will give you a good sleep. Sliding glass door to the bath are great and you never have to bring shampoo, conditioner, shower wash, soap or moisturizer because they have it for you in large dispensers (also buyable from the hotel shop, which I did)
I didn't get to go into the pool or exercise room, but they have both. I will do that on the next visit, however.
I did go to Lucia for breakfast and the menu is wonderful. The waitress was a star and I would go again, which I plan on doing as soon as I can.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Monica S, Manager at Hotel Andaluz, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear SantaFeDiva,
Thank you for such a kind review. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit as well as the property and all of our history. We are happy to hear you will be returning soon and are looking forward to your next stay! See you soon.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 6 nights while visiting our son who lives in Albuquerque. We chose it, based on reviews here. It was one of the most wonderful hotels we've ever been to! And we've been to our share. It's charming, beautiful, and the rooms are updated and quite comfortable. The service was all very friendly and accommodating. By the end of our second day there, we already felt "at home."

We stayed in a Conrad King, which was plenty of room for the 6 days. Our room had 2 windows, with a view of the mountains. The bed was very cozy, with fine linens. The furniture was very comfortable, as well. The desk area was extra large, with plenty of plug-ins for all our devices. Never had a problem with the hotel's wifi. The decor was very tasteful, and had a southwest feel without being overdone. The bathroom had 2 sinks (so nice!) and a large area for storage, closet, etc. There was a separate little room with the toilet (1/2 flush or whole flush choice--never seen that in a hotel before), and shower, which took a little getting used to, because it has only half a glass door to it. But it was roomy, and we eventually figured out how to take a shower without getting water all over the floor. They provide shampoo, conditioner, and liquid soap in large containers--also something new for us--so practical. And lotion by the sinks, because you do get rather dry in New Mexico. Housekeeping was never intrusive (we've been to some hotels where they're knocking on the door at 10 am). When we checked in, we asked for a coffeemaker for the room, and it was delivered within 20 minutes, and refreshed with coffee each day (although they did forget to check the sugar).

And now for the rest of the hotel--oh my! We had breakfast in the restaurant several times; always good. And one evening, on our anniversary, we had dinner there also. Excellent food and service. On our first afternoon, we spent some time in the bar next to the restaurant. (If you have the margarita, stick to ONE! They're amazing, but potent!) Another evening, we spent in one of the casbahs (so fun!) with our son, having drinks. A couple of other evenings, we went to the rooftop bar--just beautiful. And if you want an appetizer, you MUST try the bacon-wrapped dates--wow! Then there's the mezzanine, where we ended up a couple of times, just sitting and people-watching. On the weekends, they have live music either in the atrium or on the rooftop bar--just very nice touches. Every where you look, there's something beautiful to see in this hotel!

This hotel was one of Conrad Hilton's originals, and apparently many celebs stayed here in its day. It was the first hotel in NM to have a/c and an elevator. In 2005 someone bought it and made renovations to the tune of millions of dollars. And whoever did it, did it right. They kept the charm and authenticity of the hotel, while still providing updates and comfort.

As far as feeling unsafe--some reviewers alluded to homeless people outside--we never, ever felt unsafe here during our 6 days. And while there's no pool, we certainly didn't care. There are plenty of other lovely places in the hotel. Please don't write this place off due to a few intolerant people; you would be missing a great place!

Room Tip: The Conrad King is a good choice if you're staying more than one night.
1 Thank purplehatartist
Dear purplehatartist,
Thank you for such a kind review. We are thrilled to hear you had the opportunity to not only enjoy every detail and every outlet our property has to offer but also learn about our history. You are welcome to your new home away from home anytime! We hope to see you back soon!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My wife and I decided to try this hotel, for our anniversary. We live in Santa Fe, and had never heard of this hotel, until we were looking for nice hotels, in our area, on the Internet. Everyone had positive things to say about this hotel, so we decided to try it. Nobodies review even came close to how nice this hotel really is. Upon check in, the staff found out it was our anniversary. Everyone took such good care of us. The room was beautiful, and we were so happy. We had a great dinner at the hotels restaurant, Cafe Lucia. When we got back to the room, we were surprised with a bottle of champagne, and chocolate covered strawberries. The staff really went out of their way to make sure we were cared for, and that we had the great time we expected. They also had the most comfortable bed we have ever had at a hotel. We are so happy, and will be going back.

Room Tip: We had the romance suite
Dear cheesyfiend,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are thrilled to hear you experienced true Andaluz Culture during your visit. Helping our guests celebrate special occasions is our favorite thing. Congratulations! We hope to see you back for many more celebrations to come!

Washington, DC
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I stayed at the property last Summer and loved it - wrote a glowing review. I spend another 10 days there last month and enjoyed my stay, but had a few problems. I specifically requested a quiet room as I am aware that there are lots of bars and clubs on central avenue, but when I checked in I was on the central avenue side. There was nothing else available when I checked in (midnight) so I put up with it. The front desk pointed out that there were ear plugs in the amenities kit in the room. I stayed in the room for 6 nights, checked out, went to Santa Fe for a few days, but planned to return. When I checked out I noted that I had a reservation to return in a few days, and could they please put me in a room on the quiet side of the hotel - away from central avenue. The desk clerk said no problem, she would take care of it. When I returned for night 7-10 of my stay (again, late at night) the desk clerk gave me the same room as before! I pointed out my request, but she said it was the only thing available. Its a lovely property, but a little more attention to detail would be nice...

Room Tip: Make sure you are not on the central avenue side - its like Mardi Gras over there!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank B G
Dear B G,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate your patronage and only hope to continue to see you! I apologize for the disconnect on your room requests, our front office staff works hard to ensure we meet all guest requests but it seems we skipped a beat here. However, if you would like to contact me directly at 505.242.9090 or if email is more convenient msanchez@hotelandaluz.com with your information I would be happy to ensure we add your requests to your guest profile for the future. Thank you again, we hope to see you soon!

Lombard, Illinois
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I was led to the Andaluz by its proximity to the Amtrak station and the reports about it on TripAdvisor. It proved to be one of the most beautiful hotels I've ever stayed in. The lobby is a rich, dark blend of Spanish and Moroccan styles with touches of Native American art and decor, all gracefully blended. Several small alcoves extend from the lobby, each about the size of a small living room, and each decorated in a different style. When I arrived, I was given a free upgrade to a suite. The room was done in earth tones, though in a more modern style than the lobby, and was attractive and comfortable. The bed had all feather pillows, which I appreciated. There was a pop-up panel on the desk with outlets for convenient recharging of electronics, and free wife. The hotel also boasts a remarkably thorough commitment to green practices; my shower water, for instance, was heated by solar panels on the roof. The staff both in the hotel and the Lucia restaurant were pleasant and helpful. The Andaluz was a real find. I'd be happy to stay here in the future, especially if I again come to Albuquerque by train.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Lance W
Monica S, Manager at Hotel Andaluz, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear LanceWilcox,
Thank you for your kind review. We are glad to hear you had the opportunity to enjoy multiple hotel outlets while taking in the attention to details which makes our hotel so unique. We are also glad to hear our friendly staff was able to enhance your overall experience as well. We hope to see you back soon!

Safe Travels,
Maryland
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I arrived with a group and everyone raved about the size of the room and bathroom. Me? I ‎got a postage size room, no luggage rack in the room - and none available, I was told. ‎Bathroom that could not contain my toilette kit!‎
Once I complained about it, I was ushered to one of the rooms you see in the pix: sitting area, ‎long desk along the wall, bathroom with SHOWER (all hotels should ban the wretched and ‎slippery bathtubs), and an extra bed OR luggage rack!‎
Is it really necessary to ASK for a good room if you have them and the prices (group rate) are ‎all the same?‎
It’s an old hotel with old charm. If you like this kind of ‘charm’ – you will like the quaintness. ‎Just keep in mind to ask for: ironing board, iron, coffee/tea tray, etc. No laundry facility, no ‎pool. And it’s hot in Albuquerque in June!‎

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Monica S, Manager at Hotel Andaluz, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear IL-2013
Thank you for your review. We are honored to have your group stay with us and I am happy to hear our staff was able to accommodate you with a room that better suits your needs. As you mentioned, iron and ironing boards along with coffee makers and ice are delivered 24hours upon request for all our guests. These requests can be made prior to your arrival and our staff will gladly have these amenities available in your room for your convenience. The hotel is also affiliated with the full service gym only feet away from our main entrance. The Downtown Sports and Wellness center is fully equipped with a pool, hot tub and sauna. All our hotel guests also have complimentary access to all their equipment, facilities and fitness classes. I do apologize this was not communicated to you upon arrival with the group.
Thank you again for taking the time share your experience. We hope to see you back soon!