“History Balanced With Everything Modern”
Review of Hotel Andaluz

Hotel Andaluz
Ranked #8 of 143 Hotels in Albuquerque
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Spent 3 nights at the Hotel Andaluz for a conference held at the convention center. The hotel is within walking distance of the convention center. The studio room was modern, clean and the staff were first rate. The hotel has a history and art to take in, the outside patio appeared to be a great place to hang out, enjoy friends and a drink. The restaurant had a nice variety of choices, good and offered at a fair price. The Andaluz is close to Old Town, though to far to walk. The Andaluz has an upscale unique feel to it..very relaxing.

Dislikes: Parking, and many items such as coffee pots, irons have to be requested.

Room Tip: Elevator noise.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank 6jellybeans
Monica S, Manager at Hotel Andaluz, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Dear 6jellybeans,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are thrilled to hear you had the opportunity to experience multiple outlets of the hotel, while learning about our history and enjoying some local art work. We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed October 30, 2012

This beautiful old hotel (the 4th built by Conrad Hilton) has been completely renovated and it preserves the best of the old while layering on the best of the new. In the public spaces, elevators, and even in the rooms, you'll find lovely and unique details including murals, woodwork, and archways that were part of the original design. Every single new element has been carefully chosen so that the artwork, lighting, and furnishings are all unusual and very aesthetically pleasing. While this is a green hotel it has none of the crunchy granola sensibility that you sometimes find in sustainable properties. The quality of the air is lovely and the scent of the toiletries devine. While we had a small room and bathroom we didn't mind because overall this hotel was such a pleasure to stay at. Service was helpful and accomodating. Our favorite feature: The little alcoves (all different) off the lobby where you could relax and have a drink in private.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SashaHodes

Dear SashaHodes,
Thank you for your review! We are so pleased you had the opportunity to learn about our history and appreciate the architecture and green initiatives our hotel has to offer.
I would have to agree with you, the private casbahs are definitely one of my favorite parts as well, it gives our lobby a unique feature.
Thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel. We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

The rooms are clearly updated and the whole hotel is very modern. We unfortunately stayed in room 601 which was right next to the elevator; it was noisy. Steer clear from that room.

The staff is extremely nice and room service is fast to respond. You can request just about any type of pillow, free of charge. The rooms are of good size with large bathrooms. The don't have a fitness room, but they do give you a pass to a gym right across the street.

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear Adam-Margaux,
Thank you for your review! We are glad to hear you were able to take advantage of the many guest amenities the hotel has to offer. The pillow menu is one of my favorite features in the guest rooms!
Thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel. We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

October 8th, 2012 - Family Vacation Road Trip ... After searching on a hotel accommodations purveyor and reading their Reviews, I booked this hotel on-line, while my Uncle & I started our road trip, from Phoenix to Ft. Sill, US Army base. After driving from PHX to ABQ in one day, we rolled into ABQ that night, located AndaLuz in the down town district, easy access from I-25. First thing, we noticed upon arrival, right away was the outstanding Curb side SERVICE, then, the EZ Check-in process, by the professional Staff (they were Fantastic).
* The Room was a Double and I have to point out that the Spanish-Moorish decor is just perfect! Everything in the Room has been given forethought to the Care & Comfort Needs of any traveler, from a HD Samsung large screen TV, FREE Internet (wired & Wireless), and Upscale, modern Furniture.
* The Beds - High quality linens, pillows (soft & firm), and one of the most comfortable Beds in the Universe (similar to CourtYard/Marriot). Plenty of direct and indirect Lighting.
* The Bathroom - well-appointed with generous towels, large Dispensers of Liquid soap, Lotions, Shampoo, Conditioner & Bodywash, and Including Bathrobes. There was also other often overlooked Amenities, like ear plugs, sewing kit, etc, etc. Length of stay - initially, it was just for one Night, but we booked a larger Suite for our return trip ... it IS that Good!
* The Restaurant & Bar - Again, high-quality, SouthWest & standard cuisine, on-site dining and/or, Room-service, which we did both, with excellent results. Coffee is very Good and I should know, as I live in Kona, Hawaii!
* The Staff - well-trained from the Maids, to Parking, to Front Office, to the Restaurant, and to the Bar, they are friendly, engaging, knowledgeable, and professionals! Oh, btw, I left my toothbrush, paste and mouthwash locked in the car, on our return trip, so I went down to the Gift shop to purchase some, but, one of the Night staff member's, just pulled out all three and told me that it was completely Free! How can anyone in their Right & Sound Mind, not understand this LEVEL of Service & Amenities?
* The Summary - I was at first hesitant to write this review, mainly because I didn't want Any One else to know about one of ABQ's Hotel "Jewels", in the City of The Duke! Safe Travels! ... TravelZar, Kona, Hawaii ... Aloha!

* PS - Check out my hotel & bar photo's ... then you'll Get It!

Room Tip: See photo's ...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank whitetiger
Monica S, Manager at Hotel Andaluz, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Dear whitetiger,
It was a pleasure receiving your email today and reading your lovely review, thank you! As I have already mentioned to you, we enjoy hearing about all of our guests experiences and are so glad to hear you enjoyed your visit! Thank you again for such a kind review. We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed October 26, 2012

This hotel is a little gem in Albuquerque. Built in the 1930s, it has been lovingly restored and modernized, keeping the charm of its original Spanish colonial style while adding modern fixtures and obtaining LEED certification.

The lobby/atrium is unlike any I've seen in the US, much more like a hotel I visited in Antigua, Guatemala. In addition to seating and a fountain in the open atrium area, there are semi-private nooks with artistic treatment.

The staff, including cleaners, were cheerful and friendly. I suspect some poor reviews online hurt their reputation, and they are bending over backward to regain it. I messed up my pre-paid reservation and arrived a day late, but they gave me a better room at a lower rate than I'd gotten through Travelocity.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Monica S, Manager at Hotel Andaluz, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Dear Laurence K,
Thank you for your kind review! We are glad to hear your stay was pleasant and that you had the opportunity to learn about not only our history but our Green initiatives as well. We truly enjoy hearing about our guest’s experiences and we hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I had concerns about New Mexico...mainly because I had never been there and really didn't know what to expect. The conference I was attending had sold out down the street around the corner, but I think I got the better deal here. When I opened my door I fell in love. I had a small room, compared to some there, but that did not matter. When I read about all of the renovations, and how they had/are using sustainable practices to operate the hotel, I appreciated it even more. They use solar technology to operate their hot water, my HVAC, had a sensor to come on and bring the room to a comfortable temperature , and the toiletries are in full size bottles, use what you need...and they smelled terrific, very nice.......no waste. Also my toilet had two controls for water savings, with a 1/2 flush and a full flush ( too much info right...lol). All of the building materials were of rubber tree wood or bamboo products and the lighting, the blinds, etc I could go on. .............. I absolutely loved it. I had a view of Historical Route 66, and the murals on the buildings across the way..(I wouldn't have had a view in the other place) , I actually got a picture of 4 balloons that were practicing for the weekend, though I wasn't there for the festival. When I had to go to my conference the morning walk around the corner down the street to the Hyatt was nothing............I still feel that I got the better deal. The art throughout the place was perfect, I didn't have to go to a museum there were 2 floors of local artwork, the lobby and the mezzanine. The lobby was quite enchanting..the indoor cabanas...what nice atmosphere...the 4-7 happy hour "5 for $5" ...try the sangria..local wine, and very, very tasty!! The staff were all very nice. Front desk, day and night, the house keeper, my maintenance man, my bartenders, the room service attendants, the bellmen, and the valet (I didn't have a car) they were nice to me anyway..LOL....I think in my future I will seek out Historical Buildings as my place of choice to stay, the Ahwahnee at Yosemite is next for me. I really enjoyed The Andaluz. Everything was great......one suggestion..if you are a late night snacker...have something in your room, they are limited with the selection they have at the small shop by the lobby, and room service does not operate too late in the evening. The place is really really fabulous!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Benita M,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We are thrilled to hear your visit was filled with positive interactions and that you had the opportunity to experience the Andaluz Culture! We hope to see you back soon. Safe Travels.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

The Andaluz is, I suppose, a "boutique" hotel that takes pride in being 'green'. (Forgive the quotation marks, but you know . . .) The lobby is beautiful, quiet, elegant, with little 'casbahs' (there I go again!) or open nooks along the edges, where a small group can have a more private conversation. The woman who checked us in was helpfulness itself. The room, while on the small side, was complete; the decor was Asian and uncluttered. The desk had a docking station for several electronic devices --- those things with which we can no longer travel, and in older hotels, have trouble finding enough outlets to recharge them. Not here. There was an easy chair as well.

The bathroom, small too, but also big enough, has full-size bottles of shampoo, conditioner and bath gel on the shower wall. Use as much or as little as you like, but take comfort in the fact that those little plastic bottles we get in most hotels won't be adding to landfill. Hand soap and lotion on the sink are similar. Same brand.

And the bill was less than $100!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear JKFinNYC,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your visit and had the opportunity to learn about our green initiatives. The owner of our property put lots of thought into each guest room and I'm glad to hear you were able to experience the little details. Thanks again! We hope to see you back soon.