“Crazy Loud”

Hotel Andaluz
Ranked #8 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 4, 2011

I would agree with the other reviewers of this hotel. The hotel is lovely and stylish. The restaurant is good and priced well. The only issue is the noise. I should have known it would be an issue when I spotted the ear plugs provided by the hotel. We were on the seventh floor, directly above the night club. The music and partying went on until 2am. Getting up 4am for Balloon Fiesta was a challange. I didn't mention it to the staff. What are they going to do?
There was absolutely no noise from the hall or other rooms. The nightclub is the issue. It seems they need to decide, hotel or night club. They don't go together well.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,436)

Reviewed October 4, 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Andaluz during the first weekend of the 2011 Balloon Fiesta and would have a really tough time staying anywhere else in this city. The beautifully renovated, thoroughly "green" building is warm, inviting, and full of character. So comfortable that we hated to leave. The lobby lounge with its secluded nooks is a fantastic place for cocktails or just conversation, the restaurant produces delicious meals, and every single person on the staff was welcoming and helpful--it seems rare these days to find staff who all achieve the perfect balance of professional and warm.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 2, 2011

The Hotel Andaluz is rated at Albuquerque's only AAA 4 Diamond Hotel and is a historical property which always offers added appeal. We were at the Andaluz during the city's famed Balloon Fiesta which meant all of Albuquerque's hotels were sold out and at peak rates.

Room

We booked the highest category of room available for $289 per night plus tax. It was a junior suite sort of configuration with a small living room and a bedroom separated by a sliding door. The overall size of the room was around 450 square foot which was adequate but not overly spacious. The room was not luxurious. It was simple, basic and pleasant.

Room decor was pleasant but somewhat lacking. Plastic or vinyl baseboards? I couldn't quite figure that out. Why not use wood? The baseboards looked so tacky and cheap. Wood blinds with no curtains look ok but they let a lot of light into the room early morning.

Furniture was rather nondescript yet functional in a modern bland sort of way.

Linens were Frette and there was a great pillow menu on offer. Very 5 star offerings in an otherwise ordinary guest room.

No coffee maker was present in the room. Huge pet peeve especially at $289 per night. Upon check out I complained and was told that coffee makers were available upon request. I can see why they aren't present in the rooms because there really isn't sufficient space to put them in the rooms. Even our high category of room lacked space for a coffee maker. To the hotels' credit the very kind and highly professional front desk agent removed our room service coffee charges.

The extreme water saving shower was the biggest irritant during our stay. The showers are green "eco friendly" water savers. The shower mixes air with water to create a spray type of mist which I absolutely despise. I like a good shower with great water flow and pressure to quickly rinse the soap off of my body. The shower was a real disappointment. I fully support green initiatives and admire hotel management and owners who take the initiative to suppport serious green efforts. But the showers at the Andaluz go too far and negatively impact the guest experience.

Windows are not sound proofed and even on the seventh floor we experienced a lot of noise problems.

Gym / Spa / Fitness

Absent. None. The hotel does have an agreement with a large gym next door though.

Friendly and casual can sum it up. Front desk staff are superb.

Overall this is a lovely historic hotel to visit for the public areas, bar and dining. Guest rooms are a dissapointment lacking coffee makers and lacking sound proofing. This added with the miserable showers make it impossible for me to rate the Hotel Andaluz any higher then 3 stars. It certainly isn't worth the $289 per night plus tax that we paid!

Room Tip: Rooms are very small here. Book the largest room your budget can allow.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Darrell S
Reviewed September 27, 2011

There is really nowhere downtown that offers something for the hipster crowd. It's right across the street from the sunshine theater -- perfect if you're seeing a show. Great rooftop bar with good dj's on the weekends... I was in a suite which was still small but nicely done.. Did not try the restaurants. Only place I will stay when I visit abq!

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Every aspect of our stay at the Hotel Andaluz was exquisite. Our room was small but the details made it perfect. Our beds were very comfortable, pillows were perfect, sheets were cozy and soft ... room service for breakfast was fast, hot, and delicious. The casbah siderooms in the lobby were lovely, service was excellent; lunch at the hotel restaurant was excellent; and even the disco upstairs that night was enjoyable -- not too noisy. I would return to Albuquerque just to stay at the Andaluz again. It was not over the top luxurious but exquisite and gracious in every way.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 23, 2011

This hotel lives up to all the great reviews on Trip Advisor. The new owners did a fabulous job of renovating this wonderful old hotel. We had a Romance Suite, which was spacious, and oh so comfortable. I loved the soaking tub! My husband and I were impressed by how comfortable the bed was. We were traveling with another couple, and they also loved staying at this gracious hotel. We loved having cocktails at the roof top bar. We get to Albuquerque about twice a year, so we will definitely stay at the Hotel Andaluz again.

Room Tip: The Romance suites are very roomy. We had friends over for cocktails, and the room was not crowded.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2011

The hotel was amazing. The common areas were charming and the guest room was modern, clean, and green. The bed and linens were very comfortable. The staff was very attentive. I was at the hotel to celebrate my birthday and was surprised to find a cake and a card when I returned to my room one evening.

Debbie R