“Perhaps only worth it if you get a great rate”

Hyatt Regency Albuquerque
Ranked #29 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
DC area
“Perhaps only worth it if you get a great rate”
Reviewed May 5, 2009

It's been years since I stayed in this hotel; I began staying there in the early 1990s, and it was THE quality hotel in ABQ. I used to see movie stars there (they came in from Santa Fe). Given that it's a five-star hotel, I have to point out some physical flaws and I question the value of the regular rate (I got a per diem rate). But generally speaking, it's a good hotel -- great service, centrally located, beautiful huge lobby. I like to sit down there and read the free newspapers and people watch, and the shops have beautiful but expensive things (clothes, jewelry, crafts, etc.). On lengthy, solo business trips I like the bustle of this lobby; it lessens the sense of isolation.

I requested a quiet room, high up, and they accommodated me, but I ended up facing an ugly HVAC unit and the side of a building. A real shame given the height, the nearly floor-to-ceiling windows, and the potential for beautiful views. According to the website, the king rooms are lower than double rooms, so if you want height and a view, ask about that. I could hear loud voices during an argument in the room next door, and other people's phones, but I think this hotel is quieter than some newer hotels. The concierge service is excellent, the front desk staff are very friendly and responsive, and the housekeeping staff honored my requests for privacy. If I'd been able to get a beautiful view, I would have really loved my stay. But somebody has to stay in those rooms without a view and I guess at the per diem rate it was me.

My double room had good lighting, a comfy leisure chair as well as an ergonomic desk chair; good heat/AC; and plenty of space. I like having two phones with speakerphone options. Amenities included books and magazines for tourists; an iPOD docking station; gaming console; very comfortable mattress. The bathtub had a little shelf where you can sit or rest your head, and the bathroom was very clean. Toiletries included shampoo, conditioner, lotion and toothpaste. The usual iron and ironing board and hair dryer. For a tall building, the elevator is very fast. Good room service and the restaurants are OK but not cheap. Plenty of parking in the underground garage. You can often find two-hour parking on the street neaby, so if you're running in and out of the hotel, it only costs you about a dollar to park. Old town is about a 10-minute drive, but be warned that the shops tend to close around 6pm. Santa Fe is about an hour north; take the Turquoise Trail and go the back way.

There are signs of wear. The bathroom plumbing made occasional loud gurgling noises; an engineer responded within an hour of my call to check it out and assure me it was "routine for Albuquerque." It continued to gurgle, apparently because of air pockets. The hallway carpet looks either stained or very worn. Bizarrely, almost all the vending machines have been removed, at least on the four floors I checked. The one I found gave me an incorrect item. The (expensive) wireless Internet service was clumsy to connect to and dropped out once or twice each day; however I was always able to get great tech support the minute I called and get back online. Central Avenue (RT 66) is about a block away, and there are several blocks of cool restaurants and bars along Central. The famous old Kimo theater is nearby and is an entertainment venue. There's also a 7-11 a block away; if you're uncomfortable around homeless people, ask the concierge how to walk around them to get to the 7-11 and Central. Try Lindy's for old-fashioned all-day breakfast -- there aren't a lot of breakfast places open on the weekends.

For me the weaknesses, compared to other hotels, are: expensive Wifi; pay parking (you can park yourself but it costs); no fridge or microwave in the room; no vending; no sundries after the shops close around suppertime; too few TV channels, although there is HBO.

I think that if I cannot get the per diem rate at the Hyatt, I will try another hotel next business trip.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Titusville, Florida
Reviewed April 25, 2009

Stayed one night in connection with a conference where my wife was a speaker. Hotel had great service and a very friendly staff

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
LizonMorton
Reviewed March 22, 2009

I booked this hotel without knowing what hotel I was booking on Hotwire, and was worried when I saw some of the 1- and 2-star reviews. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find a very clean, comfortable hotel, with large rooms, for a great price (I stayed on 2 occasions, paid $94 once and $64 the other time). For a downtown urban hotel, the parking was cheap too at $12/day.

The rooms were enormous (I stayed on both the 10th and 5th floor), the beds comfortable, bathrooms large, and amenities nice. Check-in was very fast and the front desk staff helpful about recommending good restaurants in the area. On the 10th floor we couldn't hear a thing, but we could hear some city noise from the 5th-floor room facing the plaza.

Downtown Albuquerque does leave a little to be desired unless you're going to the convention center. But I don't think there's any ideal neighborhood in Alb - If you stay in the Old Town, you'd still need to drive to get to major attractions, the university, and Nob Hill, so I didn't find it inconvenient to be in downtown - an easy 10 minute drive from the airport, too.

As someone else noted, the decor is 1980s, and it's a chain so it doesn't have any of the trendy or quirky liitle things you find in boutique hotels, except for the Ipod docs. But it's still a Hyatt Regency, and I wasn't disappointed at all by the rooms or service.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma
Reviewed March 19, 2009

Every hotel in Albuquerque - even the cheap little ones - offers free wifi. The Hyatt downtown charged us $10 per 24 hours to have internet access. That's not five-star treatment. In addition, there was no mini bar/frige in the room, the dinky litle one-cup coffee maker didn't work, no pre-order breakfast was available, and room service took forever. The hotel is located downtown where you really can't walk alone after dark without concern. During the day, panhandlers were everywhere. No drug store or grocery store is within walking distance and the little shops in the lobby don't carry much in the way of essentials if you need something. We were very uncomfortable. The Doubletree one block away is where we'll stay next time we attend a conference in Albuquerque.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Canandaigua, NY
Reviewed January 30, 2009

I was at the Hyatt for 5 days for a conference. The staff was very friendly at every turn. My luggage didn't make it the first day and the young lady at the front desk brought me an assortment of toiletries and had a robe sent to my room. The restaurant had terrific breakfasts every day. The restaurant staff actually seemed happy to see you in the morning! There were a few shops nearby but you do have to travel to get to most attractions.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — not too much to do within walking distance
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Marriott_Man
Reviewed January 10, 2009

We stayed at this hotel a few months ago to go to the zoo in Albuquerque and enjoy the sites. We chose this hotel because of its location and because it was a Hyatt. Everyone at this location was very friendly, and we found nothing wrong with rooms except for the general fact that they were small. There were no major issues here, nor was there a huge WOW factor either.

• Liked — The friendly employees and the Starbucks located in the lobby
  • Disliked — The small rooms
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Malden, MA
Reviewed January 9, 2009

Pros: Friendly staff, clean room, decent room service (actually, shockingly excellent salmon), iPod dock in room, newly renovated/decorated rooms, great room layout (no bathroom door swinging into toilet sort of thing).

Cons: Disorganized check-in for one of my coworkers (they didn't have the room key ready), disappointing neighborhood (I expected better from "downtown"). Maids weren't very detail-oriented, left room service items IN my room one day.

All in all, I would stay here again, but I also want to try the Hyatt Place at the Marriott (which I've heard is the best) on subsequent work trips.

• Liked — The iPod dock and cute striped carpet
  • Disliked — it's in Albuquerque, which I suppose can't be helped
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)