“Mixed Reviews of the Hyatt” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hyatt Regency Albuquerque

Hyatt Regency Albuquerque
Ranked #32 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
San Diego
“Mixed Reviews of the Hyatt”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2008

I came away from the Alb. Hyatt with very mixed feelings. As previous reviewers noted, the hotel is undergoing extensive and loud renovations. My reservation confirmation DID indicate that I would be walking into this situation. And indeed, I needed no alarm clock--the drilling at 8am was all I needed.

I received a renovated room and the furnishings and bathroom fixtures are quite nice. The bed was comfy except that the linens provided few options--one sheet and a thick down comforter. The comforter was cozy but made me really hot. I couldn't quite ever get my comfort level just right. Despite the construction noise, the hotel seemed pretty quiet.

Others have given negative reviews of the staff. My experience was that the staff was fairly nice, but rather incompetent. My reservation was never correct and never corrected upon twice discussing the dates of my stay.

The Restaurant (McGraths): overpriced and outfitted with inexperienced (but friendly) waitstaff. Service is slow. Menu is fair and food is okay. Food options are sparce within walking distance which is a shame since the convention center brings in so many people. This, then, causes cab lines to form which is a poor use of time.

Sundries shop: Hours are not convenient. It closes no later than 7pm. What makes matters worse is that vending machines on guest room floors do not have bottled water.

Hint: I found a 7-11 convenience store about a block south of the hotel.

If returning to Albuquerque in the future, I will opt to stay somewhere else, unless my business is at the convention center. Even so, I will look into other choices before choosing this hotel.

In closing, I think part of my challenge with my experience at this hotel is that there isn't much around it. Downtown seemed really dead, despite this one area dedicated to celebrating Route 66. I walked a few blocks to where I thought I'd see fun restaurants, etc, but found the street to be revved up with loud motorcycles--not fun or really safe for a single traveler.

• Liked — nice room furniture, comfortable bed
  • Disliked — restaurant
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank delledge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2008

I was in town for an event that this was the host hotel for so you would think it would be first class, Wrong!!! When we first arrived we found that the hotel was under renovation which we were not told about when we booked. At check in we were told that due to the renovation we would have to switch rooms after our first night. The next morning comes and the old room has no hot water at all, the front dest arranges to move us to our new room after 2 hours when they said it would be about 15 minutes. We get all set in the new room and still no hot water and the pipes sounded as if they were going to explode. The event we were in town for called for us to be out late so sleeping in was important, this was not possible due to the power tools going from 9-5 everyday including weekends. We also wanted to visit the casino in town and were told they have a shuttle, however it was not running this weekend due to a convention that was taking place out there. I can list a few other things but this is long enough and i think you get the point, STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!!!!!

• Liked — my departure
  • Disliked — the entire stay
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank jch0922
Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2008

I recently stayed at the Hyatt Regency Albuquerque for a conference. I just knew this would be a fabulous hotel based on Hyatt's reputation for quality AND based on the fact that the conference organizers recommended this as the *premier* hotel to use for the conference. Boy was I WRONG!!

I arrived on a Wednesday to find that the hotel was under massive construction and that you could hear the workers jackhammering tiles of the bathroom floors quite loudly no matter where you were in the hotel. I called the front desk and they told me that they had "tried to contact everyone," when in fact they hadn't; in the months leading up to my stay, they did not once try to call, write, or e-mail me to inform me of this. Believe me, I would have stayed elsewhere had I been given that option. They offered us a measly $25 restaurant credit for our trouble, but this does not go far when split among 4 people. They refused to even give us EACH $25 to have a nice meal in the restaurant, much less anything off our room (which we ended up being overcharged for). From talking to other Hyatt customers, this was how everyone else was treated too... "ha ha, you're stuck here and there's nothing you can do about it!!"

The concierge service was quite incompetent as well; with 5,000 or so people at this conference, a large percentage of which stayed at the Hyatt (remember, this is supposed to be *the* place to stay), there were nights in which 50-75 people at a time would be lined up outside the hotel waiting for cabs, and the concierge service would only call 1-2 cabs at a time. This translates to waiting almost 45 minutes for a stinking cab when it ought to take 5 minutes. It just makes no sense.

Overall, the staff is extremely rude and do not care about the well-being of their customers. I just couldn't believe how everyone was treated.

• Liked — The rooms were clean.
  • Disliked — The staff is AWFUL and they do not care about anything but making money off of you.
1 Thank platypusofdeath
Peoria, IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for a conference in February, 2008. Let me begin by saying that this was the worst experience I have EVER had at a hotel.

There were four of staying in a room. We arrived on a Wednesday afternoon and checked in. Upon reaching our room, we were greeted with what sounded like a jackhammer hammering the floor above us. It was SO loud that a nap, or conversation rather, were out of the question.

We called the front desk immediately and said we needed to move to another room. We were told there were no other rooms available in the hotel (which was a complete lie).

There was a sheet of paper lying on the desk in the room, explaining that the entire hotel was under major renovations. Work would take place between around 8:3 a.m. every morning till 8 pm at night, even on weekends.

The next morning we awoke bright and early to pounding, drilling, and whatever else you could imagine. We did some investigating, assuming that the construction must be taking place directly over our head. We were wrong. The construction was more like 10 floors above our head, and all over the hotel . I can't imagine how the people in the floors above us must have been suffering.

We called the front desk again, but the manager was supposedly out to lunch and would call us back. Of course, that didn't happen so we went down to the front desk. We could hear the staff on the phone with other customers, who were also apparently complaining about the noise. Everyone was miserable.

The front desk would do nothing for us. At one point, they tried to tell us that they attempted to alert us of the construction before we came. Considering they had our address and phone number, yet still didn't get ahold us, my guess is they didn't try. Besides, what hotel is going to call 2,000 guests every week to tell them they might not want to stay there? Right.

We demanded some money back, but they wouldn't budge. Finally, we went back to our room and received a call from the head honco manager guy, I'm not sure who he was. We talked to him for about a half hour, explaining that we couldn't sleep, couldn't watch TV, couldnt' do anything because there was an incessant drilling going on above our heads.

Basically, he said he wasn't going to do anything, that if he did something for us, he'd have to do it for everyone else staying at the hotel. It seems obvious that the hotel knows people are miserable, but once they get there, it's too late to find anywhere else. And instead of compensating people, they're going to rely on the fact that we're out of town and not coming back anyway.

To make a long story short, we were stuck at this hotel for four nights. They told us that even if we moved to a lower floor, we'd still be able to hear the noise. Everyone was miserable.

This looks to be a pretty major construction project, so my guess is that it won't be done for at least a few months, if not longer.

To top it all of, when we had checked into the hotel, the four of us gave them our credit cards to split up the payment, and they told us it would be something like $130 a night. Then, when we checked out, they told us we would be charged an additional $300!! because we had four people staying in the room, even though they knew this all along. You can imagine our shock, as we felt we shouldn't have paid anything for this stay at all.

Don't stay here if your live depends on it. Go to the Doubletree down the street instead.

1 Thank Kitties102
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2008

We were looking for a stopover on the way to Tempe to attend the Insight Bowl. I found a price that was hard to resist on this hotel and decided to give it a try. For the most part, I was not disappointed. Parking is either self parking in the garage behind the hotel or valet which is $16.00 I believe. I decided to self park and it still cost $10.00 which is collected when leaving the parking garage. Not too pleased with that but not a deal breaker either. Because we arrived at 8:30 pm, we didn't want to get back out after unloading and after driving all day so we ate at the hotel restaurant. The food was good and the waiter was excellent. It was a little pricey but not out of line for a restaurant in a hotel like the Hyatt. I believe our ticket came to $24.00 with tip for the two of us. Our room was on the 12th floor and it was at least average size. We had a king size bed and the bed was excellent. The only complaint here was the bed had a sheet and a down comforter. I would rather have a sheet, a blanket and then the comforter if I wished to use it. The bathroom is very large for a hotel and I think the counter was granite. The only complaint here was that there was a very large hair ball in the bathroom. How the cleaning crew missed this huge hair ball is beyond me. There was a whine coming from the room and I finally tracked it down to the air conditioner/heater fan. When I turned the fan off, the whine ceased and when I turned the fan back on, the whine didn't start again so that was good. The whine wasn't that loud to begin with but it was nice that it didn't begin again when the fan was turned back on. There was no free breakfast at this hotel but I'm not a breakfast eater anyway so that wasn't a big deal to me. The soft drink machines don't accept dollar bills, just coins so unless you have $1.25 in coins, you will have to make a trip to the front desk to get change. That is a little annoying. Even after all of the little areas that could be improved, I was glad we stayed here for the night. The check in was fast and the employee was nice. The room was above average and the bed was great. I wouldn't pay $100.00 for a night there but for $65.00 to $80.00, it's worth it. All in all, I agree with the 4 star rating it has.

• Liked — Great Bed; Quiet Room; Large Bathroom
  • Disliked — Coke machine not taking dollar bills; only sheet and comforter on bed.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ProPoke
Central CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2007

I stayed at the Hyatt in Downtown Albuquerque for a recent conference I attended there. I arranged for late check in and when we arrived, there were no more non-smoking rooms. We were offered a $50 credit to stay in a smoking room and then moved to a non-smoking room the next night, which was an improvement in more ways than one because the wall paper was peeling and the shower tile was stained in the smoking room. The non-smoking room also had a nice view of the city and mountains. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and there was a nicely equipped gym on site. There is a Starbucks in the lobby though it was closed in the afternoons and evenings. The on site restaurant was ok though a bit pricey. There was a reasonably priced gift shop and other shops in the lobby as well. The conference rooms were spread out and a tad confusing, but there seemed to be ample space. The hotel is in walking distance to many restaurants and to old Route 66. The staff was helpful and they ended up comping our parking too.

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — no non-smoking rooms initially available
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank CentralCATraveler
Portland OR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2007

This hotel is in a good location for shopping and eating. I was there for work and the location proved to be good for a short drive to Sandia Peak as well. The staff in the hotel are VERY good. They actually care about what you want and need. I even had a waiter be proactive with getting me allergen free meals during the mass group feedings. Thank you you Newsome! As far as the hotel rooms they are of average US size and kept 95% clean. I am very picky about cleanliness and I would go back to this hotel. I was also pleased how the hotel maid stopped my husband from getting into my room until he showed proof he belonged there (room key I gave him). I was there alone all week until my husband suprised me and showed up at the end. The maid impressed me with her observation of only a female being in that room all week and was willing to challenge a stranger that showed up. ;o)

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business