“Hotels we love”

Ranked #73 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Shalimar, Florida
“Hotels we love”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2010

We loved this hotel, everything you want, but could use extra elevators

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2010

My stay here on business in May, 2010 was fine; it met all of the elements of the Marriott brand standard and I ran into no problems. The room was clean and comfortable, the bed was great, and the room service was speedy and tasted good. The fitness center was adequate, as was the business center. The parking was convenient. Access was okay (although the hotel is off a one-way frontage road that requires some looping back and forth depending on where you're coming from). The service, while not fantastic, was polite enough and responsive to my needs (although the front desk could be a little slow). However, I found myself wanting more from the hotel -- perhaps I expected something that felt more luxe given the hotel's large atrium, or perhaps I wanted design that seemed a little less bland and better representative of Albuquerque, which has a unique design sensibility. I also was disappointed to see that the multi-story fountain that was once the centerpiece of the atrium had mostly been walled off. This made the section between the glass elevators look sort of ugly and took out a lot of character. I was surprised that the atrium wasn't better-used -- most of the area beneath it was empty, and what could have been a lobby filled with energy seemed kind of flat. The hotel's certainly adequate and met my needs for business, but it wasn't fabulous. I'd stay there again, but I'd also investigate other options before making the reservation.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Washington, D.C.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2010

Road warriors will find much to like at the Marriott Pyramid North in Albuquerque. It's an easy drive from the airport to the hotel via I-25, and once you get there the neighborhood features numerous restaurants and amenities. Parking is plentiful and free, and if you're lugging a ton 'o stuff the automatic doors are a nice touch. Check in and front desk staff are gracious and helpful in the typical way of Marriotts everywhere.

I stayed in 810, which was a single king. It was spacious and well designed. Even though this is not a newly-constructed hotel, I didn't see any evidence of wear or tear. On the contrary, my room was well-appointed and spotlessly clean. The bathroom was large for a property of this vintage, and there was a little nook in the hallway with a minifridge, a coffee maker, and some free supplies (including tea).

Business travelers will particularly like the work area, which features a novel two-desk arrangement. There is a standard desk like you'd see in any hotel. But there is also a second desk under the standard desk, which rolls out on casters. It is just the right height for your laptop, and between the two desks there is gobs of room to spread out your work. There are plenty of outlets and the Ethernet connection to the Internet was blazingly fast.

The flat screen TV featured a number of high definition channels with amazing picture quality, and the side chair with ottoman were perfect for relaxing after work. I didn't use any of the hotel amenities, so I can't comment on those. I did call down to the front desk once and ask for the housekeeper to make up my room rather late in the day. This request was cheerfully accommodated.

In the nitpick category: The air conditioning is not the strongest. If you really enjoy a frosty room or you're visiting during a heat wave take note. The water softening was erratic. One shower it was just fine and I finished "squeaky clean." On another occasion I felt like no matter how hard I scrubbed the soap never came off.

All in all this place is just what I expect when I stay in a Marriott during a business trip. I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2010

The hotel was not too good. The outside of the hotel looks like it was from the 70's, needs a facelift. Albuquerque has very picturesque mountains and the hotel was set up horribly for this. The side of the building that faces the mountains has NO windows, so you won’t have direct view of them. Concierge lounge was packed (could be because we were there during the week) and needs renovation. The pool is terrible! The pictures are deceiving as it’s a very small pool and there is plastic drape thingy separating indoor and outdoor. The drapes looked slimy and the pool was dirty. The gym was good, they had refrigerated towels in there which was an interesting touch. Other than that, you get the good Marriott linens, old TV, and the elevators take forever! I would recommend staying somewhere else….

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2010

My mother and I stayed there for the St. Andrews Society Robert Burns dinner and to say the least everyone was very welcoming. At check in they granted my mothers request to be near an elevator. After our formal dinner I went to the bar for a drink and the young lady at the bar was very sweet and very chatty...i felt very welcomed there. Then I was surprised to see we had free web tv in the room and very comfy beds. I also liked the "bath and body" items they had for you to use. At check out everything was prompt friendly and quick. Some of the rooms will not have a view due to how the hotel is built like a step pyramid but we went there to relax and stay put.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Orlando
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2009

Stayed with family at this hotel during the first two nights of Balloon Fiesta and found the property to be very accommodating. They had fresh coffee and to-go breakfast bags available at 5am each morning for those of us heading out earlier to see the balloons. They also had little free activities in the afternoons (face painting for kids, ice cream sundae bar, etc.) and the lobby area was decorated with a balloon theme. The hotel is only a 5-10minute drive the the balloon park and a very convenient drive to everywhere else in ABQ since the hotel is right on the main interstate.

The rooms we had (one suite and one standard king) were good, not great, but completely adequate. The property is a little older and you can tell by the layout of the rooms and the bathroom fixtures, etc., but everything was clean and in working order. Nice flat screen TV's and mini fridge in each room. We ate at the hotel restaurant on our first night because it was right there and we didn't feel like going out late and in the dark on our first night. The food was good - standard Marriott burgers, but they also had some local items like green chili cornbread. It was a little pricier than we could have probably found elsewhere, but for the convenience it was well worth it.

The concierge lounge is nice and provided a decent breakfast with scrambled eggs and bacon, etc. during the weekday mornings (also had Starbucks coffee).

I hope to be lucky enough to attend the Balloon Fiesta again sometime and would definitely stay at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank cuffy.fla
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2009

We were there for Balloon Fiesta and arrived late to the hotel. We had called in advance to confirm our 2 rooms (the Romance Package) and to make sure each room had a king bed. We were assured that our reservations and king request would be met. When we arrived at the hotel, totally different story...they only had one room with a king that faced the Balloon grounds, the other was a room with 2 doubles facing the parking lot. And, the room with the king had the champagne and fruit plate that was included in the package, the other did not. But we were told that if another king room became available during our stay, we could move. During this entire time, everyone in our group struggled to hear the front desk attendant, Rachel, speak - that, of course, was between sobs. And, to make this all the worse, none of the other front desk attendents, there were two others, even bothered to assist and they could see we were visibly upset with the whole situation. She ended up telling us that everyone was not happy with thier rooms and were moving around and that she could just not help us. We ended up, after becoming upset ourselves, getting another front desk assistant to miraculously find a king room that had the romance package. We have stayed here before for Balloon Fiesta and were more than pleased - so we are hoping that this is just a fluke.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pmreidler

Travelers are raving about these Albuquerque hotels