“Not like the others”

Ranked #15 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Albuquerque, United States
“Not like the others”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I was very disappointed to find out that I had to pay to have breakfast at your hotel. I was given a voucher, but I still had to pay $5.00. In this modern area, it is very rare to come across a quality hotel that does not provide a free breakfast; AND I stayed at your hotel for business reason in the past, mandatory, and you provided light snacks during the social hour in your small bar area. I was looking forward to have a light dinner snack this time and nothing was provided. Overall, it looks like you are taking away some basic things that can make your hotel more enjoyable and financially motivate me to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

dos1, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Rio Grande Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
We are glad to see an Albuquerque resident spend a night away from home and at our hotel. We do provide a happy hour and light snacks during the week as that is when the vast majority of our corporate guests travel for business. Our weekend guests are usually here for leisure and like to dine in Old Town and experience the atmosphere of the cantinas around the plaza.

Regarding a free breakfast and quality hotels, most if not all limited service hotels provide a complimentary breakfast. Although, we are part of the Best Western family, a brand associated with limited service hotels, we are actually a full-service hotel with a restaurant, bar, conference space and catering services. As you probably know, most full service hotels with restaurants do not offer a complimentary breakfast. Think of Albuquerque's full service hotels located in the downtown and uptown neighborhoods. I won't mention their names as they don't need the free advertising but they are all quality hotels with brands that command rates much higher than ours who do not provide a complimentary breakfast or complimentary parking (we do!) or complimentary Wi-Fi (we do!). We believe that $5 for a full hot meal cooked to order and served by our wait staff is a fair deal but we will continue to listen to our customers.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying here on two different occasions and let me say both times were a treat! The staff was very accomodating and when we asked for a room change so we could watch our bikes it was gladly given.

The beds were amazing. Once I got into mine I never wanted to leave it. In fact we left a couple hours after originally planned just because of the comfy beds.

Second trip my group went to the resturaunt. It was really good. The salsa for the chips needs some work as it was a bit mild for us. They have a wide selection of food from Mexican to Italian and everyone was pleased with their orders. I believe our waiter Was Shannon and he did an outstanding job. We were a loud obnoxious group and he served us well. I had the big burrito and let me say I can see why it is a local favorite.

Thanks for a great stay looking forward to staying here again.

• Stayed July 2013
Thanks for the feedback. I agree with the salsa being too mild but I believe they prepare it that way just to be on the safe side of the majority of folks' "heat' tolerance.
kyle
Reviewed July 21, 2013

The Best Western is a good hotel and I think that you get your monies worth. At the one in Albuquerque N.M. they didn't even offer morning breakfast. All the rest gave breakfast and it was great. Thanks Best Western

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

dos1, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Rio Grande Inn, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Navajo, New Mexico
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Great place to stay. The staff is always professional and friendly, the accommodations are top rate, and the location to Old Town allows for many trips back and forth. Which means lots of shopping so bring your credit cards/checkbook. This was my second stay and I will be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for the kind words and we're glad to hear that you will be back.
Nevada
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Hotel staff was very friendly for our late check-in. She was ready with all paperwork and helped us get to our room quickly. Room was very clean and beds were comfy. Lots of towels. the kids were able to easily connect to internet. I would skip the restaurant next time as the service was slow and food so-so.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Sorry to hear about the restaurant service. Feel free to contact us and let us know if the slow service occurred during breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Orange County, California
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Room smelled stale, neighborhood didn't feel safe, phone and TV didn't work right. The air conditioner did work though. I would rank this as a 2 star hotel not a 3 star and I would not recommend staying here.

• Stayed July 2013
Sorry to hear that you would not recommend to stay here. I hope you reported the problems to the desk so we could fix the issues with your TV and phone. We do not want future guests to experience the same issue and we are unable to determine what room you occupied from your review.
Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Beds are uncomfortable and the room had a funky smell (water damage, mold or previously allowed smoking???) but the ladies at the front desk were friendly and efficient. I can usually sleep for a solid 8 hours, but barely made it 5 in that awful bed. The parking lot is very difficult to get in and out of because they shut the main gate after a certain time (10 pm?) so the only way in and out is the narrow driveway by the lobby. The room was clean enough, but nothing noteworthy.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the property look directly onto a very busy freeway.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
dos1, General Manager at Best Western Plus Rio Grande Inn, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
I am sorry to learn that you did not get a good sleep due to the firmness of the mattress. We do have Serta Presidential Plush mattresses that have received many good reviews from many of our guests. Some guests have gone so far as to ask what they are and how to find this style to purchase. I fully realize that everyone has very unique firmness preferences and I apologize for missing the mark in your case. We do close the side entrance gates @ 10 PM simply to provide better security in our parking lot. The traffic in and out of the hotel normally is at a minimum at this time. We appreciate your comments.