“3 Star Hotel...Really?”

Best Western Plus Rio Grande Inn
Ranked #15 of 143 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I don't know where to start on how bad This hotel is. First of all, they seem to like to leave religious recruitment material in your room. Secondly, their idea of remodelling is adding dark southwestern paint to an already dark room with noisy heating and air conditioning. They market this as an "Old Town" hotel, but the truth is it is a long walk or a short drive to Old Town. I would never stay here again. The staff is nice and the rooms are clean if you are just passing by on the highway. I would rate this hotel as 2 stars.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from freeway side.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Cxbrown
dos1, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Rio Grande Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time and posting a review of our hotel. I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I booked the BW Rio Grande Inn via Hotwire at a competitive rate and stayed here for two nights in mid January. The hotel is close to Old Town Albuquerque, but I would not call it “walking distance” given the area.

Check-in was very friendly and efficient; a pleasure. The room was quite nice with a Western theme. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom nice with a good shower (good water pressure and constant temperature). There was a fridge in the room and a flat screen TV. So, everything was perfectly fine.

The only really significant issue was the noise in the room. My room was facing I-40, so it got a lot of highway noise, but this was even sort of ok and living in a European city and being used to some street noise, this was not really a problem. However, if you need a quiet room to sleep, this might be an issue in itself. However, what was really annoying was the extremely loud heating system (aka a/c system). Due to a cold spell, it was necessary to turn it on during the night, so the room did not cool out completely. However, the heating system was so loud, that it was impossible for me to sleep with the system on. So it was either loud noise from the heater or freezing cold room. Not the perfect choice !

I am not quite sure, how to rate this hotel, as the room as such and the staff were excellent, but the noise during the night was very annoying. However, I realize that there are only a limited number of nights in Albuquerque, when you actually need to have the heater running during the night. So I go with an average 3* because of the good overall room quality and the friendliness of the staff, in spite of the less than perfect sleep experience.

Room Tip: avoid rooms facing I-40 as they have considerable street noise
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
dos1, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Rio Grande Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We stayed overnight and enjoyed the free shuttle to Old Town. The rooms need updating as the decor is somewhat out-dated. Unfortunately our room faced the freeway which was a bit noisy during peak hour traffic. Only one person manning reception so check-in too some time.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
dos1, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Rio Grande Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Reviewed February 11, 2013

After we stayed there I looked at the reviews and notices AntK13 stayed in room 240 and had heater problems, so did we. The heater was noisy and ran all the time. I called the front desk and the maintenance fellow came up and reset it so it did not run all the time. But when it kicked on it was still noisy, and the thermostat was not accurate.

Bought a voucher for a breakfast which was so-so. Go to the nearby Starbucks and get one of their breakfast sandwiches instead,

But the staff was friendly, the room was clean, and the location, just off 40 is great for seeing the sights of ALQ.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
dos1, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Rio Grande Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The staff here was friendly and helpful. Checking in was easy. There is a restaurant on the premises which looked very nice. The room was clean and nicely appointed. The bed was comfortable. The parking was convenient. The hotel was convenient, located just off I-40, but it was very quiet inside. It is also close to the older part of town where the charming shops and restaurants are located.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank CJ B
dos1, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Rio Grande Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Reviewed January 12, 2013

The hotel was great and friendly as usual at any best western. The rooms were very clean and the bed was comfortable. I liked the location of the hotel with easy access from the freeway. I always have a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank KAREN C
dos1, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Rio Grande Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Reviewed December 21, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights in mid-December as part of a vacation; I had been staying for 2 nights in the competing hotel across the street, but had such a bad experience there, I checked in here at the last minute for the remainder of my stay. The hotel is conveniently located, close to Old Town and interstate/freeway; it is average in terms of accommodations, I think a little overpriced (even for the AAA rate I got) for what you get. I asked for a room away from freeway and foot traffic. The room they put me in originally (240) had a heater that did not work on the "auto" setting; I did not discover this until late at night when I was ready for bed, too late to change rooms for the night. It meant that I had to keep getting up many times throughout the night to turn on the heater when it got too cold, and then turn it off when it got too hot; only the manual settings worked, the thermostat function wasn't working. It wouldn't have been a huge issue except it was down to about 20 degrees that night, extremely cold; but the heater would only work on the high setting it seemed, so it would get overwhelmingly warm if you left it on too long. So, once again, did not get much sleep that night due to this problem. Also, there was a very long black hair on the inside of the shower curtain - which freaks me out, I hate when other people's hair is left in the bathroom in any location, it makes the room feel unclean in general. The next morning, I informed the front desk of the heater problem; they said they'd have maintenance fix it that day. When I returned that afternoon, they said it had been repaired; however when I went to the room and checked it, that was not the case; it was still not working. So, they agreed to let me change rooms - this time to 140, where the auto/thermostat function was working (it was a newer model heater than the one in 240). For all this trouble, they only took $10 off my room rate for each night; I guess I'd hoped they would have comp'd one of my nights there. Also, the bed pillows were extremely uncomfortable, and were this small weird square shape. Recommend they invest in some decent pillows. Also, the satellite function on the TV was very slow - changing channels took forever due to slow/spotty signal I guess; and in one of my rooms, the remote was on the wrong setting completely, so I had to call the front desk to have them tell me how to reset it so the TV would work. That shouldn't happen. I did like that they put the TV remotes in "Clean Remote" bags but the bags aren't sealed, how do we know for sure they've even done anything to sanitize or clean the remotes?

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the freeway, it's literally right next to it.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank AntK13
dos1, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Rio Grande Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Thank you for taking the time and posting a review of our hotel. I'm sorry to hear that you were not pleased with either of the Old Town hotels. We will continue to improve the experience for all our guests.