“Make sure you check your heater! Convenient location”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Rio Grande Inn
Ranked #15 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Austin, Texas
“Make sure you check your heater! Convenient location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights in mid-December as part of a vacation; I had been staying for 2 nights in the competing hotel across the street, but had such a bad experience there, I checked in here at the last minute for the remainder of my stay. The hotel is conveniently located, close to Old Town and interstate/freeway; it is average in terms of accommodations, I think a little overpriced (even for the AAA rate I got) for what you get. I asked for a room away from freeway and foot traffic. The room they put me in originally (240) had a heater that did not work on the "auto" setting; I did not discover this until late at night when I was ready for bed, too late to change rooms for the night. It meant that I had to keep getting up many times throughout the night to turn on the heater when it got too cold, and then turn it off when it got too hot; only the manual settings worked, the thermostat function wasn't working. It wouldn't have been a huge issue except it was down to about 20 degrees that night, extremely cold; but the heater would only work on the high setting it seemed, so it would get overwhelmingly warm if you left it on too long. So, once again, did not get much sleep that night due to this problem. Also, there was a very long black hair on the inside of the shower curtain - which freaks me out, I hate when other people's hair is left in the bathroom in any location, it makes the room feel unclean in general. The next morning, I informed the front desk of the heater problem; they said they'd have maintenance fix it that day. When I returned that afternoon, they said it had been repaired; however when I went to the room and checked it, that was not the case; it was still not working. So, they agreed to let me change rooms - this time to 140, where the auto/thermostat function was working (it was a newer model heater than the one in 240). For all this trouble, they only took $10 off my room rate for each night; I guess I'd hoped they would have comp'd one of my nights there. Also, the bed pillows were extremely uncomfortable, and were this small weird square shape. Recommend they invest in some decent pillows. Also, the satellite function on the TV was very slow - changing channels took forever due to slow/spotty signal I guess; and in one of my rooms, the remote was on the wrong setting completely, so I had to call the front desk to have them tell me how to reset it so the TV would work. That shouldn't happen. I did like that they put the TV remotes in "Clean Remote" bags but the bags aren't sealed, how do we know for sure they've even done anything to sanitize or clean the remotes?

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the freeway, it's literally right next to it.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank AntK13
dos1, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Rio Grande Inn, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time and posting a review of our hotel. I'm sorry to hear that you were not pleased with either of the Old Town hotels. We will continue to improve the experience for all our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Santa Fe, NM
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

Recently my boyfriend and I stayed at the Best Western Plus Rio Grande in Albuquerque. We really liked the location of the motel as it was close to Old Town, the biopark, the zoo as well as various businesses and restaurants on Central Avenue. We had a room on the north side of the motel which was next to the freeway. We could hear the noise of the trucks from this room.
I would recommend staying in a room on the south side of this motel. This motel has plenty of rooms, probably over 100. The room was clean and the wi-fi worked great. There is a restaurant in the motel, but we didn't use it. We would probably stay here again, but in a room on the south side.

Room Tip: Get a room on the south side as it will probably eliminate the sound from the freeway.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Soledad2009
dos1, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Rio Grande Inn, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Niceville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

We arrived late here and parking was tight. Easy to find, literally yards from the interstate. The room was nice and clean, bathroom was small but big enough. The girl at the desk directed my wife to an excellent pizza delivery (Pizza 9). We would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Falkirk, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed in this Best Western hotel on a trip across America. The hotel was nicely decorated in South Western style. Staff at reception could not have been more helpful.My bedroom was nicely appointed and very comfortable.
Breakfast, which was part of the package, was served in the restaurant . There was a good selection of food. The waiting staff could have been a little quicker.
The hotel is within 10-15 minutes walking distance of the Old Town and the hotel has a shuttle service which can be used to go further afield.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank WeeNell30
dos1, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Rio Grande Inn, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
santa monica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

highlights: breakfast-must try the Eggs Mornay!, Decor is a colorful new mexican style and features the work of local artist. Rooms: quiet, comfortable and well appointed. easy to find location.
lowlights: would like to have had the local newspaper

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank thewaynester
dos1, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Rio Grande Inn, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Croton-on-Hudson, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

I was in Albuquerque for a conference and chose to stay at this hotel instead of the conference hotel downtown due to it's proximity to Old Town, major roads and attractions. I am so happy that I made that decision. My four day stay turned into six days as a result of superstorm Sandy (I am from New York). I got to know the hotel staff and the neighborhood as a result of my extended stay and availed myself of some of the handy features such as a laundrymat on my floor and the excellent business center. The food in the hotel restaurant is homemade and is very reasonable priced. There is a different delicious soup everyday. It is a short walk to Old Town and there is a Starbucks across the street. The only thing that I found inconvenient was a lack of stair access between the lobby and the floors. There were only firestairs that led directly outside. A small thnig that would not bother most people.... The pool and spa looked clean and inviting though I never had time to try them. I am returning to Albuquerque with my husband in June for a wedding and we will stay here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Maeve Q
dos1, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Rio Grande Inn, responded to this review, November 20, 2012