“Eerie”

Pan American Inn & Suites
Ranked #89 of 143 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed January 3, 2011

Imagine a Soviet era mental health facility. Now imagine it abandoned in the winter. Then imagine being sent to the furthest corner of the compound and going into a room to find it clean and well appointed but resembling a museum display of 3-star American hotel from the late 80's or early 1990's. If you can achieve this, then you will have a good picture of the Albuquerque Clarion Hotel.

We stayed here because we were driving back to Kansas City from Phoenix on New Year's Day and had to take an extra-long route due to roads being closed from a huge winter storm. I had a lot of points and free nights in my Choice Hotels account and we had our dog so had to find a pet-friendly facility. This was the highest-rated place on Trip Advisor in Albuquerque that met our criteria.

I cannot say that this is a bad hotel by any means. It was clean, the beds and bedding were of a good quality and one of my personal measures, the quality of the bath towels was very good. There was just a feeling that something wasn't quite right. This was probably compounded by the fact that there was an unusually cold snap going on so everything seemed bleak. A lot of Clarions are former full-service hotels that could not maintain the standards for certification and I suspect that this may be one of those. It has three cell-blocks, I mean room blocks, that you have to go outside to get to and seeing as we had booked a suite, ours was at the far end of the most distant one. The lobby is a vast expanse of cheap laminate flooring that was a danger signal to me when I entered. As I drove around to our room, I could not help but notice that the lot was surrounded by razor wire and that judging by the few cars, we were almost the only guests. The exterior door to the room block was behind the rough wooden staircase to the second floor that one sees in cheap apartment buildings and the hallway was dimly lit and dated, adding to the Gulag atmosphere.

The hotel seems to be very proud of its breakfast. I wish that I could concur. There were a couple of breakfast cereals, some dedicated bacon and rock hard, cold slabs of what looked like McDonald's hash-browns. The coffee was undrinkable but there was plenty of orange juice and some other juice that looked like dark stale urine. It was not identified so I didn't try it. A very welcome touch though, was that they had real plates and silverware, something that I do not see in much nicer hotels than this.

The room service brochure boasted of a selection of foods available in the store. this turned out to be a half-dozen choices of candy bars and boxes of clothes soap. We dined out at a gem of a restaurant called Tomato Cafe that was nearby.

As I said, the room itself was fine, although dated but we woke in the middle of the night, freezing cold to realize that the humming that we had been hearing was not the heat/air-conditioner which was actually turned off.

I used points to pay for our room so I cannot complain about the value. I don't think that I would pay to stay here and that if my company travel planner booked me in here, I would ask her to switch me after one night. I don't think that I would want to spend more time than that in the Twilight Zone.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chemicalphil
clarionabqdirector, Hotell Director at Pan American Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2011

Dear Guest,

We regret that your stay with us was not up to your standards. Your stay with us was at the end of the year when it is both very cold, and very slow in Albuquerque. The hotel is not very busy at that time. The room type that you opted to stay in was a PET room. The location of this room is at the back of the hotel. We have specially assigned PET rooms to avoid causing problems to any of our guests that may be allergic to PETS.

Regarding the complaints about our breakfast, I am surprised because we do get positive compliments about them. The juices we are serving are orange and apple juice. Im sorry if our apple juice offended you.

We take your comments with great importance and will continue to work on improving our products.

The Clarion Staff

Reviewed January 2, 2011

This is one of the first hotel's with good tripadvisor reviews that I have been disappointed with. I will say I did not do my typical in depth research due to it being last minute travel for a funeral.

Good:
Price
Beds were comfortable
Kids liked the breakfast

Bad:
The place is dirty, especially the hallways & the chair and sofa bed in our room
The hotel attracts some questionable clientele
Funky odor throughout the hotel

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
clarionabqdirector, Hotel Director at Pan American Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2011

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that your stay with us was not up to standard. We pride ourselves on cleanliness and I can assure you have some of the highest scores amongst Clarion Hotels in the Choice Hotels family. I will personally look into the room you stayed and make sure that the room meets our standards. We apologize and hope that you will try us again sometime in the future.

The Hotel Director

Reviewed December 9, 2010

I love hotel rooms that don't have the big, noisy, obnoxious wall units in the rooms. My room had the nice system that you don't have to listen to go off and on all night. You can even select the exact temp you want instead of fiddling around with the High heat low heat dial. I set mine to 66....the perfect sleeping temperature for a man! Nice bed. Wasn't there long enough for anything else just wanted to sleep.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
clarionabqdirector, General Manager at Pan American Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2010

Thank you for you recent stay and review of our property. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our new bedding package and had a comfortable nights rest with us. We look forward to hosting you again on your next trip to Albuquerque.

Reviewed October 28, 2010

Saturday, October 23rd signaled the end of the tourist season in this wonderful city; the Balloon Festival was history and the hotel rates had come down. We checked in on Sunday the 24th to find an extremely large hotel almost totally devoid of guests. Having said that, one would have expected to have been assigned a ground floor room with convenient access, or at least a room convenient to the 1 elevator; and, and maybe one of their nicer rooms as an “lagniappe.” As it was we were assigned a second floor room on the southwest side of this almost vacant building which had been basking in the sun with open drapes and no a/c – it was 84 degrees. We complained to the front desk person who had checked us in. We had remarked on the way to the room that this person hadn’t come across in a very pleasant manner; now we had deal with her with a complaint. She told us that whenever a room was vacant, the a/c was turned off; no apology; and that when we pointed out that they were expecting a guest in that room later in the day didn’t seem to relate to turning on the a/c at some point. It took her forever to assign us another room in this almost empty hotel. Our second room was also on the second floor. This time we had to go through a set of doors, an outside ramp and another set of doors. Our room was the last one on the far end of the building; this was probably punishment because she had had to deal with a complaint. The a/c in this room was on and the temperature was 67 degrees; so much for turning off the a/c in an unoccupied room. We selected this hotel because of the many very positive reviews by Trip Advisor members. However, contrary to their reviews, we found this hotel very inconsistent. For example, lighted make-up mirrors and multiple pillow choices don’t make up for the lack of any grab handles in the tub/shower. The breakfast buffet that so many reviews raved about was mediocre. Yes, there was the complete array of things to eat and drink as noted in previous reviews; however, we found most of it to be tasteless including the waffles so highly rated by others. Our room was quiet (maybe because the hotel was practically empty) reasonably clean, with crisp bed linens and daily towel exchange. Many hotels post water conservation notices relating to towel exchange; this hotel did not post such notices. Ironically, New Mexico was in the midst of a 12 year drought and water is scarce. Anyway, we survived long walks to our room, ate breakfast at Denny’s down the frontage road, and enjoyed 3 days sightseeing in Albuquerque. We are not recommending this hotel to Trip Advisor members/researchers. However, those with low expectations might find it acceptable.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
clarionabqdirector, Hotel Director at Pan American Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2010

Dear Guest,

We regret that we did not meet your high expectations, however, we appreciate you giving us the opportunity to stay with us. I will take the time to address several of your complaints regarding our hotel because we take our guest feedback seriously.

First, the room type that you requested is only available in one part of the hotel. We don't get to pick where we want to put you because that is the way the hotel was designed. I apologize for the room being hot, but keep in mind we are in a desert environment and this does occur. It is a matter of policy for us not to turn on the HVAC system until a guest checks in or a guest calls ahead with an estimated check-in time. Most of our regular guests do request us to turn on the HVAC ahead of their arrival and we are happy to do so. As for the drapes being open, we are required by Choice Hotels to maintain this room standard as such- we must keep the drapes partially open. The front desk agent moved you to another room because you were not satisfied with your room. When you entered that room the HVAC was on, and it should not have been. We try to be conscious about saving energy and water, but there are times when people make mistakes. We have taken note of your advice and working with our staff to implement measures to prevent this from happening in the future. Regarding the water saving notices, as of this month I am pleased to inform you that we have implemented a program in accordance with Choice Hotels standards.

I also understand that you were not pleased with our breakfast. We offer what we feel is one of the best values in Albuquerque. A very nice clean room at an affordable price with a breakfast buffet included. I hope you realize that for the price you paid, the breakfast is a tremendous addtion to the value you receive with us. Most hotels that are at a similar category and rate as our property will only offer a very basic continental breakfast or no breakfast at all, we feel our property offers a much superior product/service to those options and our guests have mentioned this to us in numerous reviews. We know we can never compete with "made to order meals" and we are not trying to. We simply want to give our guests a great option when they stay with us.

While we are disappointed that we did not meet your high expectations, we appreciate your feedback. We are confident in what we offer to our guests but always strive to improve ourselves. Hopefully, as we make improvements to our facility we might be able to exceed even the highest of expectations. Thank you again, for your feedback.

Reviewed October 27, 2010

This was the last hotel of three that my mother and I stayed at while driving across country. I thought I had an idea of what to expect since I had stayed at other choice hotels. When we arrived there was an immediate difference between this hotel and the other two. The lobby just felt inviting with nice hard wood floors, fresh water, and complimentary fruit. I have to highlight the service which was top-notch. David the front desk clerk went above and beyond to be accommodating and Rum the hotel manager took a personal pride it providing exceptional personal service. Something I had never seen before. The rooms were beautifully clean, roomy and most important the beds were exceptionally comfortable. About to leave the next morning I didn't think I could of been any more impressed until I sat down for breakfast. This is not your traditional hotel breakfast. They had sausage eggs bacon waffles biscuits and gravy plus all the usuals. The reason I was as impressed by this hotel was because not only was it by far the best hotel we stayed at but it was also the least expensive. Thank you Rum & David for a great stay.

• Stayed: October 2010

Dear Guest,

Thanks for the positive feedback on our property. We are happy that we could exceed your expectation. Please remember us the next time that you are in Albuquerque.

Reviewed October 19, 2010

We stayed here for Balloon Fiesta. It was close to the field- one exit south. Very clean room, no smell. Nice furnishings. Pleasant staff. Large breakfast with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, hashbrowns, yogurt, cereal, etc. Easy freeway access. And the off peak rate of $65 is a steal for this quality. It felt more like a marriott. Will stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thanks for recognizing the value that we offer to travelers. We also appreciate your compliments regarding our premium breakfast. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and are appreciative that you would recommend us to your friends visiting Albuquerque.

The Clarion Hotel Albuquerque

Reviewed October 19, 2010

Staff was very helpful & polite.Good location for the Balloon Fiesta.Nice breakfast!
Smelled like they sprayed something to cover up the smoke.In serious need of remodeling.Room was clean.Front desk staff was very helpful in telling us what we needed to see in Albuquerque.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate the compliments on our location, service and breakfast. We'll be sure to investigate the smoke smell. We are a smoke-free property, but on occaision people violate our policy and then the smell is very difficult to get out. We make every effort to eliminate the smell and sanitize the room. Due to the sold-out nature of the Balloon Fiesta, we were unable to move guests to a different room. We apologize for this inconvience. Thank you for your feedback.

Regards,