As a general rule I contribute positive hotel reviews. I recognize that an occasional misstep can happen so I just don’t comment at all when a hotel has one. Unfortunately this hotel experience was far from a positive one and the many shortcomings need reporting.
We stayed at the Quality Inn during Balloon Fiesta week. To be sure, there were some positives.
1. The hotel is close enough to Balloon Fiesta Park so guests can see the balloons right outside the front portico. The hotel has placed tables and chairs at the end of the driveway so guests can sit and enjoy the show each morning while they have breakfast or a cup of coffee. The location is close to the park so one needn’t spend lots of time on travel.
2. The staff was very friendly and helpful when asked for advice.
3. Because the Balloon Fiesta begins early each morning the hotel modifies their breakfast service so one can get breakfast from 5 a.m. to 9 a.m. (see photo).
But now the negatives. Most of the items are related to poor maintenance. Items 1 through 6 apply to room 314.
1. The hotel is very close to the highway with its accompanying noise. If you sleep with the windows open and are not a sound sleeper bring along some Ambien. The heating/cooling system is extremely noisy so closing the window was not an option. Tip: Ask for a room as far from the highway as possible.
2. The running water in the sink is the slowest we have ever seen (see photo). We appreciate water conservation but this was ridiculous. We had to use the ice bucket to fill the sink from the bathtub faucet. We complained about it the morning after check-in. Though we were assured something would be done, nothing was. Strangely, there is plenty of water in the shower.
3. The one window in the bedroom with a screen was not seated properly. (See photo)
4. The one window in the parlor room with a window screen could not be held open without a prop. (See photo).
5. That same screened window is cracked. (See photo)
6. The light-blocking curtain is torn. (See photo)
A couple of more negatives that are not related to room 314:
7. Upon checking in, one of our party found a pronounced odor of smoke in her room. Though it was a “No Smoking” room someone had obviously cheated. That’s not the hotel’s fault but whoever serviced the room should have noticed and reported the problem. The room was changed but it took quite a long time to do that.
8. Whoever installed the elevator did not do any favors for guests who use symbols. The symbols are the opposite for their buttons. Hopefully the braille is correct. If not, some of the visually challenged guests are liable to wonder what is happening. (See photo)
Upon checking out the assistant manager apologized and asked why we had not requested a room change. I explained that some of these items were not noticed upon check-in. After unpacking and having a very tight schedule we were mostly too tired at the end of the day to bother. But his response was odd. While that may have corrected our problem, the next guest in room 314 would not enjoy staying there any more than we did. Someone should carefully check that room and take care of the deferred maintenance.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Top rated hotel located near Journal Center in northeast Albuquerque, within close proximity to everything ABQ has to offer. Our upgraded one bedroom suites feature one king bed or two queen sized beds, a separate living area with sofabed, two televisions, microwave and mini refrigerator. Hot breakfast is included, as is WiFi and New York Times. Our upscale hotel features 168 smoke free rooms, business center, seasonal outdoor pool, and fitness center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Pan American Inn & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Country Inn Albuquerque