“Nice Room with Some Issues”

Pan American Inn & Suites
Ranked #82 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Los Angeles, California
“Nice Room with Some Issues”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed here for four nights for the opening weekend of the Balloon Fiesta. Our room was on the second floor of Building Two and faced north, so we got to see the balloons rise over the roof of the hotel next door. This was an added bonus to our 2 days that we spent at the Fiesta. At first staff was friendly and attentive, but when we asked for a safe, we were told they would try to find one for us....we never heard from the front desk about it and never did get a safe. Also, the same response when we reported one of the TV's had a dark screen....it stayed dark our whole visit and again, no word from the front desk. The hotel was full for the Fiesta, but still, a word back would have been appreciated. We had a 1 bedroom suite with a living room, but there was no sink in the bar/kitchen area. The room was clean and the air conditioning did work. This hotel is ideally located for the Fiesta. As someone else noted, there seems to be some landscaping that needs attention. The breakfast room was ample for the number of guests and staff kept the selections fully stocked. There is only one elevator for this large property. Perhaps with the name change, the Choice Hotel chain will make sure this property gets updated.

Room Tip: Ask for an exterior property view rather than looking into a courtyard and the wall of the next buil...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Initially reserved three days at hotel. Room was clean and staff was friendly. Was able to add two additional days and stay in the same room. Breakfast that was included was your typical *free* breakfast, nothing special but served purpose as well.

Chilliwack, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We booked a room at this hotel through the Balloon Fiesta organization. It was one of the few rooms left. At time of booking we were booked into the Clarion, but apparently that changed between our booking and arrival and we were never notified. Luckily I decided to listen to my GPS and not the sign on the building. The recent changeover is obvious from the amount of Clarion items still in use. You would think that if you would change everything when you changed the brand of the hotel. That may speak volumes about how much the current owners/managers care about any aspect of this property. Our room was on the ground floor at the very back of the building, next to the laundry. We assumed that this room was given to us because of the late booking we made and that the hotel was full, we would find out later that this was not the case. Our room was a suite and when we first checked in we did not even go into the bedroom until later in the evening. My son wanted to have a shower so while getting the water ready, I noticed that the enclosure was damaged, and I just assumed that was from someone ripping down the curtain rod. Later while I was turning down the bed my wife commented on the Georgia O'Keffe painting on the wall and then asked me what was wrong with the painting. Closer inspection revealed that there was a bullet hole in the painting and the exit hole was the marble enclosure damage I had seen earlier. I immediatly went down to the front desk to ask them about the bullet hole. The front desk clerk told me she know nothing about it and thanked me for making them aware of it. I was uncomfortable staying in that room, as were the rest of the family so I went back down to the front desk to see if they possibly had another room they could move us to. We were then given a new room, at the front of the hotel on the 3rd floor. We settled in and I was just falling asleep when the phone rang. Thinking it would likely be someone from the hotel calling to apologize again, I answered the phone. Instead of an apology, it was the manager accusing me of causing the damage because he had apparently talked to his staff and the last people who stayed in the room and no one had noticed the damage. How he talked to these people at 10:00 at night, I am not sure. I was upset by this and tossed and turned until 1:30 in the morning when I sent an email to Quality Inns customer service email asking them to call me the next day. I am still waiting for that call four days later. We were up at 5:30 to attend the Balloon Fiesta and when we got back, there was a knock on the door not ten minutes later. It was the manager and one of his staff (body guard?) who told me that the damage was going to be very expensive to repair, which was not a suprise to me. They also told me that they had called the police who had come out and inspected and told them the damage was not recent and therefore it was not likely I had caused it. Based on the size of the hole it is unlikely anyone could have fired a medium calibre handgun in the room without someone hearing anyway. I was still offered no real apology for the assumptions that this manager jumped to and I belive he still thinks that somehow I blew a hole in the wall and no one heard. The rest of the property is not much better than the staff. Two of three bikes in the exercise room do not work and the cable weight machine has seen better days. The coffee cups used in the dining area are left over Clarion items and most of them leaked badly. It was also very difficult to eat breakfast as the dining area was infested with flies. The carpets in the hallway were very dirty. One of the most annoying things was the amount of time the staff spends socializing and eating fast food in the dining area. This is the only hotel I have ever stayed at where the staff used customer areas for their own use. I think the owner/manager needs to rethink this policy. Based on the attitude of the management of this property and the complete lack of response from the Quality Inn organization, I would sleep in my car before staying at another Quality Inn.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank maschmit442
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Jose was nice, friendly and professional. However, hotel appears to be old - probably remodeled about 5plus yrs ago (Booked back in March under Clarion but name changed recently to Quality Inn & Suites). Photos show nice court yard with green grass and foliage - however it is dry and barren with non working fountain. Bedding is inexpensive both mattress and linens. Could hear family in adjacent room and room above. Room clean and free breakfast was fine. Many restaurants close by. However this is no more than a $69 a night hotel (we paid more due to Balloon Fiesta which was fantastic). Would probably stay someone else next time- chose this due to close proximity to Fiesta.

Flagstaff, Arizona, United States
Reviewed October 4, 2013

My family stayed here for two nights last weekend. The rooms are clean and a nice size, perfect for our families needs. The breakfast was great and all the employees seemed very nice and welcoming. Our problem was that the air conditioning didn't work in our room. We checked in Friday night and didn't want to bother anyone until the morning to get it fixed knowing it wouldn't be hot during the night. My husband called the front desk up first thing Saturday morning to see if someone could fix it. He was told they would send someone over right away. Saturday afternoon the sun was shining right in the room and we were dying! We opened all the windows to see if it would help cool it off and it didn't. We called again and asked if someone could fix it or maybe if we could just switch rooms. We were told they would send someone over to fix it and that we could maybe switch rooms, they would call us back. My baby was trying to take a nap and was completely soaked in sweat, hair was wet and everything it was so hot! At 5:30 pm as we were leaving to go to dinner I walked down to the front desk and asked if someone could please fix it and was told they were on their way now to fix it. As we returned that night nothing had been done still. We checked out Sunday morning and I told the guy working how disappointed we had been with our stay because of this and he told me over and over that it was unacceptable and how sorry he was. He told me to call the next day and speak with the manager, Jose. I called the next day and Jose also apologized several times and told me to expect a call from the general manager....it has been 4 days and I have yet to hear back. Unfortunately we would not stay here again because of this. Nice place as long as you don't have a problem that needs to be fixed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Plymouth, WI
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in late October. The hotel has a very friendly staff. All polite, neatly dressed and competent. The young lady that checked us in seemed to enjoy her job and was very welcoming. I didn't catch her name, but she was a taller red head (keep up the good work!)

We had one of 2 room suites. I was expecting a kitchenette but it did not have a sink in any room except the bathroom. The bed was very comfortable, the air conditioner worked well, but is a little loud. The bedroom and living area both had nice flat screen TVs, but had a limited selection of channels. The wifi worked fine.

The hotel is right on a frontage road that runs along hwy 25, the location makes it easy to venture out from the hotel, but you can hear the traffic from the hwy. I like to run in the morning, but this location was not good for that, no sidewalks or trails to accomodate those activities.

My key card needed to be recoded every day, that became a bit annoying.

The hot breakfast was good, the lady working the breakfast area keeps the area nice and clean and the food coming.

The room and halls are all clean, the elevator was a little dirty, but not horrible.

We enjoyed our stay in Albuquerque and would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Golfwis
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We needed a hotel in north Albuerquerque for a night and picked this one. The entrance was nice and the room was clean and comfortable. Importantly, the A/C unit was built in and quiet and the thermostat actually worked properly. The dining area was large and quite pleasant and the breakfast was several cuts above what I have come to expect from the Quality Inn folks. The only knock I would make (and it is a small one) is that the hallways are a warren of turns and finding your room can be a hassel - be SURE to keep the hotel map before heading for your room the first time.

Room Tip: Hard to beat for the price and location
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Qualityinn_ABQ, Manager at Pan American Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Thank you so much for all your kind words. We are always thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We do regret that the property layout was confusing. Please come back and see us soon!