“Hidden charges” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #81 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Hidden charges”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

Made my reservation online which provided an estimated total cost for the room for the number of days we were staying there. When I checked in I received a sheet from the hotel which had the identical estimated charges for the stay. At checkout there was an added charge each day for a safe in the room. My final bill was slipped under the room door with the extra charges. Had I not reviewed it carefully I would not have caught the extra charges. I went to the desk and was told the safe charge was automatically added and I did not have to pay it. I objected to the amount just tacked on the room rate without notice and the desk clerk pointed out a posted sign indicating there was a daily safe charge which could be contested at checkout. The sign was not in the direct line of sight of a guest checking in. There is no doubt in my mind the deception was intentional and it was a blatant attempt to cheat me.. The hotel could have informed me of the extra charge when I checked in and did not and actually provided me with a printed sheet with the estimated cost for the stay which did not include it. Don't stay here - the hotel management is not to be trusted.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
clarionabqdirector, Hotel Director at Quality Inn & Suites North Albuquerque, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear Guest:

While I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel, I strongly object to the accusation that this hotel is involved in a deceptive practice to cheat you.

When you checked into this hotel were notified in three different ways of our safe policies. First, you signed a registration card that details our safe charge policy and also requires your initial next to it to acknowledge that you understand the policy. You were also made aware of policy verbally by the Front Desk Associate. Lastly, there is a sign prominently displayed at the check out desk that states the policy in large letters. I can understand how you might have missed all three of these notifications if you were not paying attention, but to say that we intentionally try to cheat our guests is a strong accusation that 100% false. I encourage you to pay attention to the guest registration card the next time you are checking into a hotel.

It should also be noted, that we credited you the money back. For privacy reasons, we cannot ask if you are using the safe at check-in as that would reveal private information and could raise security issues during your stay. For that reason, we have a "Scout's Honor" type of policy. If you do not use the safe while you stay with us, let us know at check out and we will be happy to remove the charge. You have up until 30 days after you check out to request this.

Many of our guests requested us to put safes in the room. Rather than charge the guests a higher rate to stay with us, we allow the guests to choose whether they want to use the safe and pay for it or not. This is a practice that is common in the industry and perhaps this is your first time encountering.

We regret that you were unhappy about the safe charge, but we are glad that you enjoyed the rest of your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Shamrock, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

I want to start with the good! Breakfast was awesome. Rooms and bathrooms were very clean and fresh and the Turquoise room was adequate for our family reunion (there is no sink however which made things a little difficult). The group room rate they gave us was very good!

Now for the bad experiences. Our family members booked this hotel about 6 months ago for our family reunion and were told that we would get blocked rooms together. That did not happen, we had family spread out all over the hotel from the 1st floor to the 3rd. One of our seniors (77 yr old)ended up on the 2nd floor with stair access only (or walk for a long distance from the one and only elevator in the hotel). Another of our seniors (80 yrs old) was put on the 3rd floor, having to walk (with walker assistance) a long distance (part of the walk outside in the heat). Myself, bad pain from a recent back injury had requested a 1st floor room when I reserved the room. Was asked if I wanted a king or double room, I said that doesn't matter as long as it's on the 1st floor. Was then told that both rooms were the same price so I said go ahead and give me the double room on the 1st floor. I was not told at that time that only kings are on the 1st floor. The room size did not matter at all and I told him this, 1st floor did matter and I told him that also. We get there and our room was on the 2nd floor. Immediately questioned why and we were told I requested a double. My confirmation said 1st floor requested, obviously what you need and request doesn't matter.
One of our seniors asked for a coffee setup the day we had the Turquoise room and was told that wasn't in our contract and it would be $30. Really?? $30 for two pots of coffee?
Also at the time of booking 6 months ago we asked if pets were allowed and were told yes. So one of our family members started their journey to Albuquerque with pet in tow and had to stay elsewhere because now there are no pets allowed. It is still in their welcome booklet inside the rooms that says this hotel is pet friendly.
When asking about all these things the only answer we got from several employees was that a new manager or owner took over a couple of months ago and so basically they didn't know what we were told at time of booking. They "don't block rooms together", "No pets allowed" even though their own list of rules state they do.
ONE elevator in this hotel with many wings, keep that in mind if you are traveling with seniors or you have any kind of handicap. Not acceptable and will not return since what you request at time of booking is not honored.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
, Hotel Director at Quality Inn & Suites North Albuquerque, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast, meeting rooms and our rates.

We are sorry about the parts of your experience at our hotel that you did not quite enjoy. As we tried our best to inform you while you were at our hotel, we changed our pet policy June 0f 2011. We briefly experimented with the idea of allowing pets, but many of our regular customers complained about the policy. Ultimately, we changed back to a no pet policy. The new policy is posted on the Choicehotels.com website and it is on the registration card that you signed & initialed at check-in. We try our best to inform all of our guests of the new policy, however, certain websites and hotel collateral may still show the old policy. It takes time to change all of this and it is expensive. I know you pointed out that the hotel room directory still shows the incorrect pet policy. As I informed you we are in the process of getting new ones printed. Again, we make it a point to inform you in writing and verbally that this is a no-smoking/no-pet property. When guests, visit our hotel that have pets, we always try our best to help them find another hotel that can accommodate them- generally next door. This was the case during your stay as well.

As far as the room blocking is concerned, I do wish that we could have done more for you in this area, however, because the hotel was sold out for the Jehovah Witness Convention it was very difficult to do this. We have guests that are staying different lengths and checking in on different days. It's nearly impossible to guarantee all the rooms in one part of the hotel because of this. When we refer to a "block of rooms," it generally means that we are reserving a specific amount of rooms for your group. This doesn't mean that we are guaranteeing specific rooms in one part of the hotel. I am sorry if this was confusing, but it is standard hotel language. We'll make it a point to be more clear going forward.

In regards to the coffee in the meeting rooms, we would like to point out that there is free coffee 24 hours a day in the lobby adjacent to the meeting room. Just as most hotels do, should you require personalized food and beverage service your your guests there is an additional charge. Our charge is $30 per day for unlimited pots of decaf and regular coffee- not 2 pots as you mentioned.

Since you were disappointed in the location of certain rooms, and you were unhappy about the "no pet policy," we waived the the charge for the meeting room. This saved your group $850, even though the number of rooms you booked under contract was not met. We felt that as an organization this was a very fair and generous approach to customer service. We value every single one of our guests and try to do the best we can to please them. In this case, I understand that we may not have been able to satisfy you, but we certainly did try out best.

Once again, I apologize for the parts of your stay that were unsatisfactory. We hope that you'll consider us again. Safe travels and thanks again for staying at the Clarion Hotel Albuquerque.
Ponca City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

Reserved this hotel room for my daughter and her husband who needed a good nights sleep coming from Tuscon, before driving on home to Wichita. I called and spoke to Gina and she was amazing. She took ownership of making their stay perfect. They were coming with 4 very tired kids arriving around 11pm and she made sure the sofa sleeper was made up and ready to use. She assured me their room would be clean, smell free and hair free (a different hotel they stayed in earlier had hair on everything and smelled of urine). Daughter said it was a wonderful stay. The only thing that would be great to know is that she was told the suites are all located on the ground floor. I forgot to ask for a top floor room. She said it worked out good because there wasn't anyone in the room above so no overhead noises were heard. A glowing report from her was for the breakfast. As stated by another traveler, the hashbrowns with green chilis and cheese was delicious. Thank you Gina for your help, I couldn't have been happier with your service to my daughter and her family.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
, Hotel Director at Quality Inn & Suites North Albuquerque, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the Clarion Hotel Albuquerque. We are happy to hear that you daughter and her family really enjoyed staying with us. Our staff, including Gina, is really service oriented and we try to pay special attention to the needs of our guests. Way to go Gina! We'll give your compliments to the breakfast crew too. They do a great job every morning preparing our hot breakfast buffet, that includes the Green Chile Potato Casserole you spoke about.

Thanks a lot for showing us some love!

Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

Comfortable bed with a great breakfast for this type of hotel (hash browns with cheese and chilis). Seems recently updated and was a good value for the stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
clarionabqdirector, Hotel Director at Quality Inn & Suites North Albuquerque, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for reviewing the Clarion Hotel Albuquerque. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast and found our beds to be comfortable. You're right about the improvements. We have been making improvements to a number of areas around the hotel. Just recently, we renovated our pool. We always are working hard to make our hotel a great place for you to stay.

Thanks again for your feedback and positive comments. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

We booked two rooms for a three-night stay, checking in on Saturday evening after a long, tiring drive. The rooms were not in the newer main building but in one of two older buildings in the rear of the property. I think we may have been the only two inhabitants of this three-story building on that first night, which was kind of eerie. The room itself was small and the furnishings were dated. There was only one chair in the room and that was the office chair at the desk. When we wanted to socialize, we had to roll a chair in from the other room. The ice machine for the building had been out of service for so long that it had cobwebs on it.

I'm a Choice Member and I think I deserved better treatment than this. The hotel did not seem to be filled and I wonder why they couldn't have put us in the newer building. I chose this hotel based on the reviews here but I have a suspicion that none of the reviewers stayed in one of the old buildings. Had the stay been longer, I would have complained and asked for another room.

The only bright spot was the complimentary breakfast which was a cut above what is usually served at hotels like this.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Wayne M
clarionabqdirector, Hotel Director at Quality Inn & Suites North Albuquerque, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear Sir:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We apologize that you did not have the experience that we hoped you would. I understand your displeasure with the location of your room and the size of the room that you booked. The room type that you booked is only located in certain parts of the property, notably in buildings two and three. In the future, please let us know if you are dissatisfied with your room so that we have the opportunity to relocate you to a room that meets your needs. We would be more than happy to offer you different accommodations, in a different location. We pride ourselves in providing clean, well appointed rooms and excellent customer service. The only way we can deliver on this promise to you is if you tell us what we can improve on for your you.

We sincerely value all of our guests, especially our Choice Privileges guests. Please accept our sincerest apologies. I would like to personally invite you back to stay in one of our spacious suites. I am sure that you will be satisfied with them. These rooms all have a separate sitting area, a lounge chair, ottoman, work desk & chair, microwave and refrigerator. These rooms are spacious and are great for entertaining friends and family. These room types come with either one king size bed or two queen size beds. They are our most popular room types.

Thanks again for staying at the Clarion Hotel.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

For our 3-night trip to Albuquerque, my husband and I were looking for a reasonably priced hotel. The Clarion turned out to be exactly what we wanted. When we first entered the building, we were impressed with the clean, neat appearance of the lobby area. The front desk staff, Melanie and Shonda, were welcoming and helpful whenever we had questions. We loved the breakfast area as there were always tables available because of the size of the room. The location of the hotel made it easy for us to get to the University of New Mexico, to the casinos, to the Sandia Mountains and to Old Town. Whenever we needed directions to any of our destinations, the front desk staff provided assistance and printed out directions to make our travels easier.
The only problem was our east-facing room which stayed quite warm. I prefer a cool room and even though we turned on the air conditioning, the room never quite stayed cool enough for my tastes. Had there been a way to fix this problem, I'm sure the staff would have done something, but with the warm temperatures, it was impossible.
I highly recommend this hotel and would stay there again should I need a place in Albuquerque.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
, Hotel Director at Quality Inn & Suites North Albuquerque, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Dear Jan:

I really appreciate you writing about the great experience you had staying at the Clarion Hotel Albuquerque. We really value what our guests have to say. There are so many wonderful things that you wrote about our hotel such as the concern and care our staff members have for our guests. We really try our best to fulfill the needs of our guests. I am also thrilled to hear you enjoyed our breakfast. Its something we take a lot of pride in offering; especially these days when a lot of hotels are cutting back on what they offer for breakfast.

I also wanted to let you know that we are trying looking into the issue with the heat in the room that you mentioned. I am personally going to look into the situation and come up with a solution for this. I appreciate you telling us, because if we didn't hear from you we wouldn't have known about it.

We really care what our guests have to say about their experience and we're always trying to improve on it. Thanks again for staying with us and we're glad to hear that you'll be coming back when you visit Albuquerque.

Albuqeurque
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

My stay at Clarion was one of the best hotel experiences that I have ever had. Gina, the front desk person, made sure that I was comfortable and went out of her way to accomodate me in any way that she could. She was was kind, generous, friendly, nice and went out of her way to assure that I was comfortable and felt safe. I cannot express enough gratitude for a person of her nature. She is one of a kind and should be commended for her generousity. She definitely deserves an expression of appreciation from your corporate offices. Words cannot express how very thankful I am to have met her. She is the KINDEST hotel front desk person that I have ever come accross and I travel quite a bit. The hotel was not 5 star, however that did not matter because Gina made my stay awesome!!! Thank you Gina. I will definitely stay at another Clarion because of you.

In addition, I would like to say thank you to Melanie. When Gina was not at the hotel, Melanie was there. Melanie took good care of me as well. She was friendly and made it clear that she was 'at my service'. She is another employee that you are very fortunate to have. Gina, too, deserves an appreciation from your corporate offices.

Patricia

Room Tip: The hallways are kind of difficult to get around however, I found that the rooms near the stairwell...