“Very well done”

Ming Dynasty
Ranked #236 of 1,826 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

This Chinese restaurant features well prepared dim sum. The Cantonese tradition is honored respectfully in each dish. The prices are reasonable, especially given the availability of dim sum in the area. The atmosphere is mostly sterile. The dining room is large and the decor is simple. Very little ambiance, although the focus is on the food and the dishes are prepared quickly and served hot. The service is average. Bathrooms are disappointing. Overall, if you like dim sum (and really got to have it in Albuquerque), then you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

Albuquerque is not a city known for a well established Chinatown as you might find in San Francisco, Chicago, New York, and Houston.

With only very rare exception, most Chinese restaurants you visit in Albuquerque are the 'dime a dozen' Americanized Chinese cafes which bare no actual resemblance to any real Chinese cuisine, most often toting typical Chow Mein, General Tso's and sweet and sour take out type of fair but Ming Dynasty thankfully is not among these.

I am very happy to say that Ming Dynasty is a single shining gem set apart from the rest of what you find in this city. The one and very likely only place in this entire region where I feel comfortable calling 'Chinese', serving real authentic dim sum as you do in fact find in China and many of those other cities I listed where I hold such fond food memories throughout the years.

The dim sum at Ming Dynasty is excellent and a rare find for this region. The staff always friendly, and service is good and always as expected. Sunday is the best dim sum day though often crowded but still well worth it to go on this day.

I have visited this restaurant many times and in all those many visits, I have only once had any bad experience. That one time, I was served a raw shumai which was definitely an unusual rare incident. I believe the steamer may have malfunctioned that day as I saw them bringing in a new one a little while later and have not had any repeat of that issue that one day it happened.

Typically, experiences are usually vey good and consistent and this place is definitely on my personal 'top ten restaurants that I like to frequent in Albuquerque' and it has also become a Sunday tradition to go for our family to go out for the dim sum at lunch at Ming Dynasty.

Time for yum .. made myself hungry writing this so I think I will head out the door to Ming Dynasty.

1  Thank MattNM
Reviewed December 18, 2013

the staff was very nice but the dim sum was not. we moved to the duke from a larger city with a big china town. My neighbor from china took us to several dim sum places. Maybe Ming Dynasty was just having a bad day but not interested in going back.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

good food, great service. I go here all the time. There are authentic dishes if you know what is what. The Lobster with onions and chives is to die for.

Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

I've had dim sum on vacation in San Francisco a few times and at Won Kow in Chicago's China town at least a dozen times and I would say the dim sum at Ming Dynasty is on par with both. Can't wait for next visit to Albuquerque and this restaurant.