“Unique and delicious”

Golden Crown Bakery
Ranked #1 of 1,831 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Description: Golden Crown Panaderia is a old fashion neighborhood bakery in the Albuquerque old town area. We have had the honor of not only being on the Food Network once in 2004 with the show Food Finds. We are now being featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives : Guy Fieri for our pizzas. We have supplied breads and pastries to many of Albuquerque's finest restaurants and hotels including the Hyatt Hotel, Petroleum Club, Smirolls International Cuisine, Albuquerque Convention Center, Amadoes Pizza, etc. Many of our wholesale and retail customers have been using our baked good for over 25 years.We are now strictly a retail bakery with an amazing coffee bar, We server the first ever New Mexican Style pizza, Our Garden fresh salads come from our indoor garden.The Food Network has featured our New Mexico Green Chile Bread. Empanadas, Pizzas, Our Turkey Bread Sculptures. And Biscochitos. We also carry beer and wine
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My wife and I had read reviews and stopped in for a simple pizza dinner. Our pizza was absolutely delicious and very unique. The crust was made with corn meal and contained green chiles - which may sound strange but worked brilliantly.
We were so impressed that we went out of our way the next morning before our flight out to pick up some empanadas to eat enroute to the airport. They were also terrific.
Golden Crown gets a high recommendation.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stopped at this bakery for lunch on our long drive to Sedona, Arizona. It was a wonderful break from all of the driving. It is located in a cute, artsy area of Albuquerque. The bakery itself has a ton of character and is immediately welcoming. It smells amazing and there are many delicious pastries, sandwiches, pizzas, teas, and coffee to choose from. The owner is very welcoming and offers each guest a cookie. My husband and I decided to split the Golden Crown Combination Pizza with blue corn crust. We ate outside on their patio. It was really delicious and the perfect lunch. You could tell that all the ingredients were very fresh. On our way out, we decided that we couldn't leave without getting a loaf of the New Mexico green chile bread. It smelled and tasted fantastic, but was also beautiful. On the top of the loaf there was a wolf howling at the moon. We felt a little guilty about cutting into it and ruining the beautiful design, but it made some very tasty sandwhiches throughout our week-long trip. This place is definitely a gem and I can't wait to go back the next time we are in Albuquerque.

2  Thank Chicagogrl22
Reviewed May 5, 2013

The short version: Reasonable prices and tasty food - would definitely go back again.

The long version: My wife and I drove to Golden Crown "Panaderia" after visiting the Museum of Natural History & Science. It's a small place, with some cramped indoor tables, as well as several outdoor tables and a fire pit. There was some construction going on while we were there - a man was working on the outdoor patio wall. Luckily, the wind wasn't blowing in our directions while we waited and ate on the patio, but that could have caused a problem. We went in and they gave us a free biscochito - a small, tasty sugar cookie. We decided on ordering a medium (12") sausage pizza (for $11.14 - $9.99 + $1.15 per topping) and an order of cheese garlic bread ($3.99). (It's also worth noting that their 8" personal pizzas were just $4.99 and $0.75 per topping.) They gave us a stand with a number and brought our food out to us when it was ready. When ordering, we noticed shelves of large loaves of fresh-baked bread (including their green chile bread). It turns out that our cheese garlic bread was sliced pieces of these massive loaves - very good. The pizza came on what seemed like a wheat crust, which was also good. Inside, they have trays of baked goods, too. Their cookies looked delicious, as did their empanadas. They had a blueberry one that I wanted to try, but I decided to wait until after my pizza to see if I was still hungry, and the blueberry was all gone by the time I returned. Other empanada flavors included cherry, raspberry, apricot, pumpkin, and lemon. They also had milkshakes, sandwiches, and a tea/coffee selection.

Overall, I am very glad we went (and that decision was based on TripAdvisor reviews). It's a small place with adequate bathrooms, good food, and good portion sizes for reasonable prices. I would highly recommend this place.

3  Thank Nate W
Reviewed May 3, 2013

If you are looking for something different and unique than this is the place. My wife and I came here to try their pizza. We are pizza snobs so decided we had to try what they now refer to as : "New Mexico" Pizza, not to be confused with any other style of pizza. They make pizza with 3 types of crust: Blue corn, Green chile and Peasant ( 15 different grains) crust. You can add whatever toppings you prefer. My wife had the Blue corn pizza with her choice of topping and I had the Green chile crust pizza. We shared and compared. She liked her pizza best and I liked my pizza better. The crust was thin and crispy on the bottom and soft and moist on the topside. We absolutely loved this style of pizza. Different and unique and tasty and well made and we'll definitely will go again when in Albuquerque. We didn't get a chance to try the baked goods, but did have the coffee as our dessert...Good ! I don't doubt that the pastries are quite good as well.
The son and father team are very pleasant and friendly folks quick to help and are very proud of their bakery..and rightly so. We had a long sit down conversation with the father, Pratt. He was proud of his son, Chris, and explained how with love and patience the business was built. There is not enough space to recant our entire conversation, just suffice it to say that Pratt is a very interesting man who knows which way he and his son are heading and what they want their business to be...that is unique to them and their dream. Not to try and copy something, but to lead the way in their own style...BRAVO !! Pratt and Chris.

2  Thank Fred B
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We were fortunate enough to be staying in a condo right across the street from this New Mexico gem. The Golden Crown had already been recommended to us by several people. This place is terrific. Eating one of their hand-tossed pizza with green chile crust was like being transported to another world. Their sweets, cookies and pastries are to die for. Now for the breads. If you go here, you absolutely must try a loaf of their freshly baked breads. Everything is made from scratch and it shows. The green chile bread is outstanding and their multi-grain loaf is right along side it. Both are huge and fabulous. Golden Crown makes the best biscochitos (New Mexico's state cookie) this reviewer ever put in his mouth. The empanadas, available in a variety of fillings, are first rate. Be sure to try the two fillings made from scratch: squash and pumpkin. Don't be put off by the outward appearance of the building. It's an old adobe and looks like it might have seen better days. Go inside and catch the aroma of freshly baked bread. Heaven. Golden Crown also serves a variety of sandwiches served on---whatelse?---their own homemade bread. Closed on Monday. They take phone orders and will hold items for you. Open daily 7 a.m. to 8 p.m., Sunday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Indoor and outdoor seating. Tip: it's often hot inside the building while they are baking, so you might opt to sit out side around one of their shaded tables. Visit them and see the menu: www.goldencrown.biz.

3  Thank mtsrebel