“THE BEST OF EVERYTHING!”

Ranchers Club of New Mexico
Reserve with OpenTable
Ranchers Club of New Mexico is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #204 of 1,819 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Menaul
Reviewed January 20, 2013

THE best food; THE best service; THE best atmosphere. Dined (yes...dined, not just "ate") here last night for our Anniversary and we were so impressed. The menu includes some of the most interesting choices, including wood grilled antelope chop, grilled and braised wild boar osso bucco, two bone kurobuta pork rack, as well as the usual carnivore favorites. I enjoyed the kurobuta...simply melt-in-your-mouth and delicious and enough for an encore meal tonight at home! My husband raved over his prime rib, served with a variety of freshly made dipping sauces. I'm on Weight Watchers, so I passed on the fabulous appetizers like seared fois gras & kobe skewers or the bison sunchoke carpaccio and settled for the house salad...wonderful! My husband loved his lobster bisque so much, he sopped up the rest with his bread (embarassing, but I didn't blame him) The prices are a bit steep for Albuquerque; but after eating here, I can say it was well worth it. Comparable...probably less than some of the nation chain steakhouses like Morton's. You can really drive up the bill if you have drinks and dessert...we passed because I was sticking to my WW points and my husband was being supportive....nice! I can't say enough about The Ranchers Club...we will DEFINITELY be back. p.s. if you want an even more romantic atmosphere, they provide PRIVATE dining rooms for 2 or more...when did you last see that?

Reviewed January 15, 2013

This is not a review of the Rancher's Club restaurant per se but of their banquet facilities.
I recently organized an awards banquet for 100 +. When choosing a venue I look for ample parking, a central location and atmosphere. The Crowne Plaza University had it all. While some may consider this a tired, old place they are wrong and are missing it's true beauty and charm. They have managed to keep a traditional feel to their facility including warm saltillo tile, beautiful chandeliers, flickering wall sconces, heavy dark wood doors. Many meeting spaces are so cold , impersonal and cavernous and why I don't like them. Same Same, but not here ! Management was great to work with, service was excellent and the food was far from industrial. Very tasty and plentiful with a wide variety of choices. If you are thinking about holding an event I would highly recommend the Crowne Plaza Albuquerque.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

This restaurant is expensive, so it's not for every day. But for special occasions, it's a must. Service is attentive, but not intrusive. The restaurant is known for its steaks, but the vegetables are always perfectly prepared, and the desserts are delicious. We started with the Caesar salad prepared at our table. I had the filet mignon and my husband had the prime rib. We were stuffed after our entrees (and didn't finish them), but we didn't want to miss out on dessert, so we took a creme brulee and chocolate bombe with us. Not sure which was the best part of the meal. Everything was delicious. With a glass of wine and tip, the total bill was about $150, but worth it.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I am having a really hard time writing this review. I have been to Rancher's Club many times over the years. I have known it to be a great restaurant with awesome food, impeccable service, terrific atmosphere and fairly healthy prices. I often find that you get what you pay for at establishments in this realm and so you visit with high expectations. Such was the case last week during our visit.

When we arrived, we were seated promptly at a fabulous table. The service was quick and focused. Bottles of water were brought, menus delivered and wine was ordered. The Capitan helped us choose items from the menu he thought we would enjoy and all was well. The wine arrived promptly as did our appetizer. This is where things started to break down.

We both needed water but no waitperson was to be found. They'll be back shortly I said. The appetizer was foie gras and Kobe beef on a skewer. What sounded fabulous on the menu was actually pretty bad. They took both items, ground them together and then deep fried them into little meatballs. Seriously? This is the best you can do with such great ingredients?

Still no water yet and empty wine glasses. Five minutes. Ten minutes. Nothing. A waitperson arrived to clear our appetizer plates and we pleaded for water and access to our bottle of wine so we could pour ourselves some. He apologized. Water arrived. No wine. I finally flagged down another server and begged them to bring our wine or find our server and have them bring it. A few minutes later, wine arrived without comment.

The entrees arrived and they were fabuolous. Lobster tail for me and bison for my wife. Each was cooked perfectly and delicious. One good thing right? Wine? I finally got up, found and retrieved the bottle, filled our glasses and did not relinquish it to anyone after that point. Water? Guess we aren't supposed to need water.

After finishing our entrees, our plates were cleared. The now empty wine bottle removed and we sat there quietly. Ten or fifteen minutes later our server dropped by to see if we might be interested in dessert. He highly recommended the Bananas Foster. Fine but could we PLEASE have some water?

When he returned awhile later to make the Bananas Foster tableside, he first gifted us with water. Yippee! The Bananas Foster were absolutely perfect! Fabulous!! After finishing them, we were hoping for an after dinner drink but frankly we had been there for so long and had such a hard time getting anyone's attention for anything we chose to leave. After another 10 or 15 minutes waiting for the check, it arrived. We paid and left.

This was truly the worst experience we have ever had at the Rancher's Club. Perhaps you'll think that granted the service wasn't great but get over it. And you ordered the appetizer. Not their fault you didn't like it. So why you complaining? When you spend almost $500 on dinner for two, you expect certain things, period. We didn't get them. Their only comment was that "its sure been busy during the holidays". Really? That's it?

I have to say this visit was not indicative of our usual experience at Rancher's Club but it was certainly a memorable one! Honestly, after spending so much money for a fabulous dinner and getting anything but that, I am unsure if we will go back. Really sad it this is what the restaurant has become!

Reviewed December 20, 2012

I've been to the Rancher's Club several times for special occasions--even went there after our very small wedding. It has always been a good, if conservative choice in fine dining.

It's pricey, yes, but the steaks are consistently good. Each time we've been there, the waiters have been kind enough to bring out a couple of different wine samples if we were trying to decide, and this is even when we're only planning on buying by the glass. I've been offered complementary desserts on birthdays and other special occasions, and the service is always impeccable, regardless of how busy they are. (I'm also surprised to be remembered by the wait staff, given that we only visit once a year or so!).

The lobster bisque is always a favorite, with large chunks of lobster. Last time I went (in late Nov.) I had the "wedge" salad, which I was delighted to see was made with romaine and heirloom lettuce, not the "traditional" but lesser quality iceberg lettuce. I had the filet "Oscar" (with bernaise, aspargus and crab) and it was wonderful! The steak was tender and delicious, and cooked perfectly (and even good steak houses sometimes don't seem to be able to get a true medium done right).

I also like the fact that in spite of the very upscale steak house feel, this place did not treat us any differently though I told the waiter, when we came, in that we were using a coupon. In fact, they gave us the complimentary dessert (it was my friend's birthday), and were overall as attentive to two middle aged female diners with a coupon as they were to the anyone else. Great quality service! (And yes, it is leisurely, which is a plus in my book!)

I should also say that you can get many of their menu items in the very lovely bar which is adjacent. They have what looks like wonderful burgers on their bar menu too. Someday we're planning to go in for a less expensive late lunch there!