“2nd stay”

Ranked #42 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Kirtland, New Mexico
“2nd stay”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

this was our 2nd stay at Sandia at it was very nice just like the 1st time we stayed there..the kids loved the pool ! the room and bathroom was very spacious... clean and well kept. I used my players card for great rates

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Amarillo, TX
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Words are not enough to describe the excellence in service, cleanliness, and friendiliness that we experienced at Sandia Resort and Casino.

In fact, when I checked out, I jokingly asked the person helping me if manangement had threatened them with their lives if everything wasn't perfect for their guests.

Checking in was quick and we were met with smiles. They actually got us into our room early.
The Council Room Restaraunt had the best waitresses that we ever had. I didn't care that much for the food but I am extremely picky.
There is a little grill right off of the casino that ran $2 cheeseburger and $2 nacho specials. My husband and I had the cheeseburgers and they were really good for the price. My daughter had the nachos and she said they were good. When you'd rather spend your money gambling than eating, this was a real plus.
The gambling was good and they have a "no smoking section", as well. We didn't play bingo but it looked to always be full.
They have a wonderful spa with all kinds of services offered.
If you like a reasonable room and amenities with employees that take pride in their jobs, this is your place.

Room Tip: If you request a mountain view room you will, most likely, overlook the swimming pool and you can s...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ringgold, Georgia
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We did not stay in the resort so we cannot speak to the hotel. Casino was clean and seemed bigger than it was. Attractive looking spot with a view of nearby mountains. Free parking was ample. Smoking areas appeared well ventilated but for those wanting no smoking there is a room set aside for smoke free players. Saw lots of slots with a range of pricing. We were very pleased to find penny poker machines as well as nickel, quarter, etc. Since we play for fun it was nice to have that option. Also saw a number of penny slots as well as the higher dollar games so it seems there was a decent selection. Table games were $5 and up. There were not a lot of tables but enough to keep up with the interest on the night we visited. No alcoholic beverages are served on the casino floor so only soft drinks and water are complimentary. Drinks can be bought at the bar. Small area was set up for dancing. We did not try the food at any of the venues onsite. Rewards card provided 25 dollars of 'free' play and a coupon for a discounted hotel stay but only for new members.

1 Thank SPN21
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We didn't stay at the hotel, so this review is only for our dinner at Bien Shur. Our boss took us to dinner at the restaurant for the business' 18th anniversary, and the hotel and restaurant are both beautiful, and very upscale. The food was reasonably good, although a little expensive. Unfortunately, the service was not very good. Our waiter (Sean) seemed distracted for most of the meal, and we had to ask twice for refills and a correction to our order. It was very busy that night, so maybe that was the reason for the delays, but for the price of the food we were hoping for better service. Maybe next time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Samantha D
blujan, Front Office Manager at Sandia Resort & Casino, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Samantha D
Thank you for your recent feedback regarding Bien Shur restaurant. I apologize that dinner service did not flow well and we appreciate your candid feedback as it allows us the opportunity to identify areas to improve upon. Though it may have been very busy that evening, as you mention, the volume of business is no excuse for our not properly taking care of business, and we strive to deliver a quality experience through the food, the service and the ambiance. It is when all of these come together that we are able to build loyal guests and lasting relationships. I hope you will give us another chance in the future to regain your confidence in Bien Shur as I am confident that we typically do a better job than this.
Thank you again for your time and constructive input.

David Kohler
Director of Food & Beverage
Sandia Resort and Casino
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We had a room for Saturday night (25th). We decided to take our daughter swimming earlier in the day, take her home and enjoy the Casino later. First, the pool is so nice! Person that checks out the towels was very nice and helpful. Met some nice people and enjoyed the music playing. Better bring money for the food at the bar, expensive and not alot of food. :( Drinks are pricey and chincy on the liquor. Your better off getting a drink inside the bar in the casino then outdoors, service is SLOW.
Our room had a balcony looking over the pool and golf course. Rooms are updated, roomy and have very comfortable beds! The casino was so packed, even at 2 in the morning, hard to get a good machine to play. In the furture we will try to get a non-holiday weekend, but still had a great time!
Oh, I left my pillow in the room, called and a Housekeeping Supervisor (Susan) called me back and had it. She was so nice! Thanks!!! :)
We will definately be back.

1 Thank Poodml
Pahoa, Hawaii
Reviewed May 21, 2013

My wife and I had heard about how nice the Sandia Resort was, so we decided to park our rented RV overnight in their parking lot, and use the facilities. There is a separate RV parking lot for overnight camping. No hook-ups, just a clean, well-lit parking lot with great friendly security staff. There is even a shuttle that will come to your RV and shuttle you in to the Resort with just a call! There is no charge to stay in the lot, and they encourage you to stay, because they know you'll spend some money! I hit all the bars in the resort, and all were excellent, clean, and friendly, and reasonably priced. We ate in the buffet, which was excellent. The entire Resort seemed safe and spotlessly clean. The swimming pool was amazing, with cabanas and bar. We didn't use it, as we felt we should be hotel guests to enjoy it, although we probably could have with no problem. Very friendly staff all through the large resort. Beautiful decor. I have 27 years in casino table games myself, and I can tell you this is a professional operation. A wonderful gift shop is just across the road, behind the gas station. A huge affair, and my wife dropped some cash here. We really enjoyed our time here.

Room Tip: If you come in an RV, stay in the provided RV area, complete with security and free wi-fi!
2 Thank banyannook
Ranchos De Taos, New Mexico
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I chose to stay at Sandia during a recent NM trip and was pleasantly surprised by the spacious, comfortable room, deep soaking tub and upbeat staff. Bed was perfect for deep after-gambling-wee-hours sleep. Overlooking the golf course, I had a fantastic mountain view of the Sandias. Room rate, using my players card, was reasonable.
I agree with others that the buffet quality is lacking. I wanted mostly veggies after "road food" for days and had a hard time finding green veggies on buffet. The Indian Taco at the little snack bar is great (no, no veggies!) but a fat slab of fry bread smothered in chile, cheese, lettuce & tomato...yum.
The casino is OK. The seating at the slots is dated. I found it too low for many of the machines and got a headache from craning my neck to watch the machine. By NM standards, the gaming floor is large with a good assortment of slots and table games. I also stayed at that other casino south of ABQ. Sandia was MUCH better, rooms not even comparable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo