“Pleasantly surprised”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area
Ranked #87 of 143 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed May 25, 2014

This hotel was everything we could expect. The room was larger than most of our other hotel choices in NM. It was clean and comfortable while also having all amenities we wanted. The A/C unit was old and noisy. The staff were generally helpful. The breakfast selections were good and included a pancake making machine! We had not previously stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, but we will certainly do so in the future. The room rates seemed moderate to us. We had earlier in this NM vacation stayed at a Marriot chain in Albuquerque that failed, in our opinion, to meet any of our standards.

Room Tip: Our room was on the third floor. It was quiet and comfortable. The only noise was from a room air...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 20, 2014

This is our 2nd year staying here for 2 different nights at the beginning and end of our vacation trip. The thing I like the most is how accommodating they are with airport transportation, the shuttle runs from 4:30am to midnight which works for most ABQ flights and they even picked us up at 11:55 pm. We have to drive to ABQ & fly out so we leave our vehicle here and it’s just as we left it. It costs about the same as airport parking and it sure is nice to go straight to Hotel after flight delays and all-day travel.
The Hotel is clean and looks updated, the staff was very accommodating and there is restaurant, lounge, coffee bar, store (all open limited hours). It was a little difficult to find our first time but we’ve got it now (exit freeway, left on Sunport Blvd, right lane, left on University Blvd, left on Woodward Rd) you can also see it from freeway.
Both nights our room was above front desk (on different floors), right off hall from ice/vending machines and elevator which is convenient and was unexpectedly quiet. We had a king bed with small couch (nice to have a place for the two of us to sit) and there is also a refrigerator & microwave which we always appreciate. The bed, linens and pillows were all comfortable as well as the overall feel of the room as it has most of the amenities you would want (large TV, desk, Wifi, luggage stool, closet, mirror, iron/board, coffee). The bathroom has a walk-in shower (no bathtub), decent size vanity top and obscured toilet (it’s behind big bathroom door). There is also an indoor pool & Jacuzzi area that is very nice.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Sabina K, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Dear RockinRobin55,

On behalf of our entire team I would like to thank you for taking your time and reviewing your recent stay with us. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoy staying with us! For your information - if you would like a room with a tub instead of a walk in shower - our two queen rooms have a tub and our two-room Suites feature a jetted tub.

We are looking forward to serving you again in the future!

Sabina Khusainova

Reviewed May 13, 2014

I had read how difficult this hotel was to find. That's not exactly accurate. You can see it clearly, but the GPS instructions will lead you astray. When I came off the highway, I made the mistake of thinking the turn was a left, but it was a right. That error led me into the airport. After taking that loop, you still can't enter the hotel parking. I had to make a U turn and take that right. However, coming off the ramp, the GPS said take a left and a left. That put me back on the dead end where I did the U-Turn. You must go past the hotel before turning Left. That said, the hotel looked pretty enough when I entered. Check-in was ok, but I was too early for the grill to have opened. I had to get food off site. The room was pretty, thought the little sofa wasn't very comfortable. The clearance of the bathroom door was tight and the bathroom layout was a little odd. Huge shower but slippery floor inside. The biggest problem I had was the combination fridge/microwave. It rattled intermittently all night. I even tried turning it off, hoping that would stop the noise, but it didn't. I ended up putting the heat/AC on fan only to drown it out. I left very early in the morning and was disappointed to see the Starbuck's counter in the lobby had no one staffing it. All in all, not much different than a more basic hotel. Just disappointing, overall. I would give 2.5 but that's not an option.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank ww13
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Dear ww13 (ww13),

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. I am delighted to hear that you liked our room and that check in was okay. Whilst I am pleased with your good reviews,I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity to improve on our service. I am sorry for the inconvenience you have encountered with the fridge and microwave, not to mention the Starbuck’s counter in the lobby with no staff. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Again, thank you for your review and we hope you do choose to give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.

Kind Regards,

Charisse V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

In a 5am rush to get to the airport, Ieft my tablet on the bed in room 217. I spent a week trying to talk to the general manager and was told over and over again that he was the only one who could deal with lost and found . He was away for 4 days and on 2 hour conference calls. I go to NM quite often will never stay here again. Lock everything up and beware. This incident occurred May 4 th and I have yet to hear from manager after calling many times.
Y

• Stayed: May 2014
Sabina K, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Dear snakegoddess45,

I wanted to let you know, that we did find your tablet - it was turned into the General Manager's office on Tuesday, May 6th. Unfortunately we have no means to contact you as your reservation was made through Priceline and has their phone number. We tried contacting them and they would not provide us with your contact information due to Privacy Act. Please call us at 505-944-2255 and ask to talk to the General Manager. If he is out of the office you can leave him a voicemail with your name and your phone number and he will give you a call back.

I apologize for any inconveniences but we could not contact you due to inadequate information on your reservation.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

On our recent stay we carelessly left a small duffle bag on the sidewalk when we loaded our luggage and it contained all our meds. When we arrived in Santa Fe we called and Monica said they found it so I was going to return to Albuquerque. She offered to deliver it to us in Santa Fe after getting off work late in the afternoon which she did and we compensated her for her gas and time. We have had a lot of courtesies shown us over the years of staying at a Holiday Inn but this was far and beyond anything we would ever expect. We shall always remember her and her kindness.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I will say that it is better than a budget motel, but only slightly. Only worth it if you are getting a VERY good deal. Nothing was quite nice enough, or clean enough. Breakfast was $10 per person (kids free), but not as good as most free breakfasts. I would spend more for a better experience next time.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank C U
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Dear C U,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation. Your comments have been documented and we are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Enjoyed our one night stay at this hotel. It was clean, comfortable, had good in-room lighting, quiet, and the staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was ready and on time. The breakfast area was in a nice section of the lobby and well presented.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple