“hope your reservation is not canceled and check the sheets”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area
Ranked #91 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Phoenix
“hope your reservation is not canceled and check the sheets”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

So I booked my reservation via holidayinn.com - using my priority club profile. Confirmation received. All is good - so I thought.

Check in and the couldn't find my reservation. Gave them my confirmation number - amazingly the reservation was found but cancelled. The credit card on my profile was an old CC so it was declined. the reservation was confirmed but cancel an NO NOTIFICATION!!!! WTW!

Checked in and go to my room. First appearance of the hotel is nice on the outside but not on the inside - it's a bit dated (see hallway pic). When I got to my room - I do as I normally do and pull back the sheets. To my surprise I have a little present in my bed (see bed surprise) - nothing like find human hair in your bed in a hotel.

The night manager came up to talk to me (which I appreciated). And I showed him my surprise. He offered to fix the issue by having housekeeping change the bed which was greatly appreciated. He offered to discount the room and give me a discount for the next stay. Problem is I don't come through and if I were I probably would not stay at this hotel - discount or not.

Just be advise when booking the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Todd T,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best hotel around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations, and I apologize you were not satisfied with the level of service provided and the room conditions. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Pahoa, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

We only stayed here one night, but enjoyed our stay. Very clean room, very comfortable beds. Huge flat-screen TV. I guess we expected more of a suite after staying previously at the Staybridge, this one was not, but we never specified wanting a suite. My mistake, I guess, as I thought the name title meant all suites. There's a great pub-style bar in the lobby, for evening beers and socializing. Try the Isotope tap beer! Friendly front desk staff- Madonna allowed us to check-in early, which was a great help. Convenient, free shuttle to the airport, even to Old Town. Nice, warm, clean indoor pool. Breakfast restaurant was not included in the price, but seemed adequate; we did not eat here. We would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sandra M, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Banyannook,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor regarding your stay at The Holiday Inn & Suites Albuquerque Airport. We are pleased to hear that you were very satisfied with your stay at our hotel. We are one of the few airport hotels to have a lobby bar and we are happy to hear you were able to utilize that amenity as well as our other amenities such as: Indoor pool, Jacuzzi, Sauna, HDTV Flat Screens, and our free shuttle. Thanks again for providing your feedback we truly appreciate it and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

When we arrived, the desk attendant was helpful, and checked us in quickly, made getting a shuttle ride in the morning very easy. When we got to the room it was very nice, the hotel has a bar, and a restaurant, also a starbucks! Nice rooms, nice pool area, with sauna and fitness center!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Nathan2053,

On behalf of our team I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review on The Holiday Inn & Suites Albuquerque Airport Hotel. We truly appreciate your feedback and use all of our guests comments to make improvements to the hotel. We believe in sharing the positive comments with our staff as well and so we thank you for acknowledging our friendly front desk staff as we pride ourselves on hiring great people. Exceeding our guests expectations is what we strive for and we are happy to hear you were able to take advantage and enjoy all of our amenities! Thanks again for the review and we hope to see you again in the near future.
El Paso, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Friday and Saturday nights. There were several things going on that were not at issue when staying there before.
1) The hallway on the 3rd floor was not vacumed or picked up from the time we arrived till noon on sunday when we departed.
2) The elevators are in need of serious inspection and repair. They failed to work twice during our stay forcing us to cling 3 flights of stairs to and from our room. The doors would start to open then close before opening all the way.
3) The magnetic key system failed on the first day of our stay.
Areas that need real help:
1) The bar is not conducive to a calm enviornment. Way to bright and it is understandable why the 2 nights we went there it was just us or one or two other people. There are no bars or night clubs within a couple of miles, so I am thinking the ball is being dropped as to attracting other hotel guests to visit.
2) The menu needs an overhaul in the evenings. The items whch suffer from overkill need to be removed, like the quesadillas. Way too many fillings turning them into a gloppy mess.

Room Tip: Hopefully the service staff on 3rd floor will take it up a notch. Rooms on the front side of the bu...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear TimWW_ELP,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best hotel around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations and I apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

I recently hosted a conference in Albuquerque for 20 people over a weekend in which we used the conference space and stayed for two nights at the hotel. The lobby was decorated really nicely and the hotel room was spacious and clean. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating, and the director of sales was an absolute pleasure to work with. We had many unusual demands, like specific dietary restrictions and snack requirements that were all taken care of without hesitation. The conference room was organized just the way we had requested and even the hotel rooms were quite nice. The location of the hotel is a two minute drive from the hotel so worked out really well as we had people coming in throughout the weekend. Definitely would recommend this place and stay there again!

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Sandra M, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Sheliza_e,

On behalf of our staff I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We truly appreciate your feedback regarding your stay with us at The Holiday Inn & Suites Albuquerque Airport. We are delighted to hear that you had such a great stay and that you were pleased with everything from the lobby, the guest rooms, to the meeting rooms. Thank you for utilizing our hotel for your conference we are very proud of our meeting room space as well as our friendly sales staff who do everything they can to ensure that the meetings run smoothly. I have shared your kind words with our staff and we look forward to serving you again in the future.
Walnut, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

This hotel was chosen for me when I opted for an Express Deal on Priceline. Got a room for one night for $70. For this rate, I wasn't expecting a whole lot which was fine because it was only for one day. I was pleasantly surprised at the appearance of the lobby. The front desk attendants were very pleasant and I was quickly checked in. Admittedly, once you got passed the lobby there were signs of wear and the elevators could definitely use some sprucing up but nothing terribly bad.

My room was very clean and sufficiently appointed. I travel frequently and a pet peeve of mine is there not being a place to charge your cell phone next to the bed. I was happy that there were free outlets on each side of the bed. Surprisingly, my television didn't work although it appeared to be fairly new. The front desk attendant moved me to another similar room and gave me a complimentary drink ticket for my trouble.

The things I was very impressed with was the free in room wifi and wired internet, gym, pool, hot tub and sauna. The only real disappointments were the fact there was no tub (shower only) and the breakfast albeit very good was a little pricey to me. This might just be because I have kind of come to expect to get breakfast free with the room.

Room Tip: Nice view from the 3rd and 4th floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Sabina K, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Courtney C,

On behalf of our team I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts on your experience at our hotel. We are glad you found our staff helpful and accommodating and the rooms to be clean and well-maintained. For you next stay I would recommend you to book a room with two queen beds, as they have a tub or one of our two-room suites which are equipped with a jetted tub. Since we are a full service hotel our breakfast is not complimentary as it is cook-to-order. If you go to book a room directly on our website it will provide an option to book a package with breakfast included in the rate.

Once again, thank you for taking your time to review our property and we are looking forward to having you as our guest again in the future.

Sabina Khusainova
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

I organized a meeting to this hotel and gave them business and 8 of our participants stayed in this hotel in the first week of April. I went to hotel and checke in my room without any problem. I received a call from Director of sales to see the room. I came down and felt that meeting room was excessively hot. I asked her about air-conditioning and she said no one turned on air-conditioning after the cold weather. I asked her when this air-conditioning will be turned on. She was quite and said, I cannot do anything on it. I asked her to call Manager. Manager refused to turn on air-conditioning. Manager came the next day (on Saturday) and thrreatened us to trow us from the facility. There were several winesses when manager insulted me who wrote us letters.
Following are my experience staying in this facility. We had businesses with several other Holiday Inn and we never had problems. Following are my experiences as meeting coordinator, speaker and as a guest of this hotel:
1. No air-conditioning in the meeting room. The temperature inside the room was 85 degrees.
2. Not sufficient light in the room. Several bulb was malfunctional.
3. Only about 5 gallons of water for whole day. Even after repeated request, they failed to provide us water.
4. Bugs on meeting room floor and in my rooms in the second floor
5. Bathrooms are not clean and bad smell in the bathroom
6. Rude behavior of General Manager and he insulted me as well as some of our participants
7. No air-conditioning in the hallway of second floor and excessive noise from some machine in the second floor
8. Not enough parking spot for meeting
9. Manager and front desk people Insulted some of our guests who came to meeting.
10. Bad attitude and false accusation by Manager
11. Manager threatened us to throw out from the facility.

Altogether, it is the first time I had bad experience with Holiday Inn and the manager. I have received several witness to support my bad experiences with this hotel and aggressive behavior and attitude of hotel manager.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Sabina K, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
I am sorry to hear that you feel this way about our staff and our hotel after the lengths which we went to accommodate your meeting. I would like to start by saying that on the day of your arrival I stayed until 8pm to make sure the room was to your liking. I indicated that our heater/conditioner unit is set to a certain temperature which at the time was 75 degrees. I also specified that I will myself open the doors and the windows early in the morning to let the cold air in. Despite all the reassurance the General Manager and I gave you, you proceeded to come to complain to our front desk staff repeatedly. On the morning of your meeting I had maintenance come and lower the temperature in the entire hotel. I had a 40 people meeting in the room next door who actually asked me to turn off the AC unit at some point throughout the day as it was getting too cold for them.

As far as your other concerns go, we have a pest company who does regular inspections and treatments of the facility and our staff is continuously checking public areas and rooms for the presence of pests. If we do find them we block those rooms for treatment. We have reports showing that the meeting room and the guest rooms are pest free and we feel like there is no justification for this accusation. Please note that we did not receive any complaints from other guests regarding pests in the meeting room or in the guestrooms. Once again, I would like to bring your attention to the fact that we were hosting two other meetings on the same day as yours and the hotel was sold out.

Once again, I am very sorry you were so dissatisfied with your stay, despite of the fact that at least two members of management put in extra efforts to accommodate you and your group. The General Manager himself was called and was threatened by you from 8pm to 10pm on Friday night. He came in on Saturday specifically to talk to you and to find out what your concerns were. Our General Manager gave you an option to move to a different hotel as we felt that we could not accommodate your unreasonable demands. We were left no choice but to contact your superiors about your behavior as it had to be brought to their attention.

Here at the Holiday Inn & Suites the satisfaction of every single guest is our number one priority and I strongly believe that our staff beginning with the General Manager went above and beyond to accommodate your stay and we will continue to do so for all our customers.