Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area
Ranked #84 of 143 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I recently hosted a conference in Albuquerque for 20 people over a weekend in which we used the conference space and stayed for two nights at the hotel. The lobby was decorated really nicely and the hotel room was spacious and clean. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating, and the director of sales was an absolute pleasure to work with. We had many unusual demands, like specific dietary restrictions and snack requirements that were all taken care of without hesitation. The conference room was organized just the way we had requested and even the hotel rooms were quite nice. The location of the hotel is a two minute drive from the hotel so worked out really well as we had people coming in throughout the weekend. Definitely would recommend this place and stay there again!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Sandra M, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear Sheliza_e,

On behalf of our staff I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We truly appreciate your feedback regarding your stay with us at The Holiday Inn & Suites Albuquerque Airport. We are delighted to hear that you had such a great stay and that you were pleased with everything from the lobby, the guest rooms, to the meeting rooms. Thank you for utilizing our hotel for your conference we are very proud of our meeting room space as well as our friendly sales staff who do everything they can to ensure that the meetings run smoothly. I have shared your kind words with our staff and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

This hotel was chosen for me when I opted for an Express Deal on Priceline. Got a room for one night for $70. For this rate, I wasn't expecting a whole lot which was fine because it was only for one day. I was pleasantly surprised at the appearance of the lobby. The front desk attendants were very pleasant and I was quickly checked in. Admittedly, once you got passed the lobby there were signs of wear and the elevators could definitely use some sprucing up but nothing terribly bad.

My room was very clean and sufficiently appointed. I travel frequently and a pet peeve of mine is there not being a place to charge your cell phone next to the bed. I was happy that there were free outlets on each side of the bed. Surprisingly, my television didn't work although it appeared to be fairly new. The front desk attendant moved me to another similar room and gave me a complimentary drink ticket for my trouble.

The things I was very impressed with was the free in room wifi and wired internet, gym, pool, hot tub and sauna. The only real disappointments were the fact there was no tub (shower only) and the breakfast albeit very good was a little pricey to me. This might just be because I have kind of come to expect to get breakfast free with the room.

Room Tip: Nice view from the 3rd and 4th floor.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Sabina K, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear Courtney C,

On behalf of our team I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts on your experience at our hotel. We are glad you found our staff helpful and accommodating and the rooms to be clean and well-maintained. For you next stay I would recommend you to book a room with two queen beds, as they have a tub or one of our two-room suites which are equipped with a jetted tub. Since we are a full service hotel our breakfast is not complimentary as it is cook-to-order. If you go to book a room directly on our website it will provide an option to book a package with breakfast included in the rate.

Once again, thank you for taking your time to review our property and we are looking forward to having you as our guest again in the future.

Sabina Khusainova

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I organized a meeting to this hotel and gave them business and 8 of our participants stayed in this hotel in the first week of April. I went to hotel and checke in my room without any problem. I received a call from Director of sales to see the room. I came down and felt that meeting room was excessively hot. I asked her about air-conditioning and she said no one turned on air-conditioning after the cold weather. I asked her when this air-conditioning will be turned on. She was quite and said, I cannot do anything on it. I asked her to call Manager. Manager refused to turn on air-conditioning. Manager came the next day (on Saturday) and thrreatened us to trow us from the facility. There were several winesses when manager insulted me who wrote us letters.
Following are my experience staying in this facility. We had businesses with several other Holiday Inn and we never had problems. Following are my experiences as meeting coordinator, speaker and as a guest of this hotel:
1. No air-conditioning in the meeting room. The temperature inside the room was 85 degrees.
2. Not sufficient light in the room. Several bulb was malfunctional.
3. Only about 5 gallons of water for whole day. Even after repeated request, they failed to provide us water.
4. Bugs on meeting room floor and in my rooms in the second floor
5. Bathrooms are not clean and bad smell in the bathroom
6. Rude behavior of General Manager and he insulted me as well as some of our participants
7. No air-conditioning in the hallway of second floor and excessive noise from some machine in the second floor
8. Not enough parking spot for meeting
9. Manager and front desk people Insulted some of our guests who came to meeting.
10. Bad attitude and false accusation by Manager
11. Manager threatened us to throw out from the facility.

Altogether, it is the first time I had bad experience with Holiday Inn and the manager. I have received several witness to support my bad experiences with this hotel and aggressive behavior and attitude of hotel manager.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Sabina K, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

I am sorry to hear that you feel this way about our staff and our hotel after the lengths which we went to accommodate your meeting. I would like to start by saying that on the day of your arrival I stayed until 8pm to make sure the room was to your liking. I indicated that our heater/conditioner unit is set to a certain temperature which at the time was 75 degrees. I also specified that I will myself open the doors and the windows early in the morning to let the cold air in. Despite all the reassurance the General Manager and I gave you, you proceeded to come to complain to our front desk staff repeatedly. On the morning of your meeting I had maintenance come and lower the temperature in the entire hotel. I had a 40 people meeting in the room next door who actually asked me to turn off the AC unit at some point throughout the day as it was getting too cold for them.

As far as your other concerns go, we have a pest company who does regular inspections and treatments of the facility and our staff is continuously checking public areas and rooms for the presence of pests. If we do find them we block those rooms for treatment. We have reports showing that the meeting room and the guest rooms are pest free and we feel like there is no justification for this accusation. Please note that we did not receive any complaints from other guests regarding pests in the meeting room or in the guestrooms. Once again, I would like to bring your attention to the fact that we were hosting two other meetings on the same day as yours and the hotel was sold out.

Once again, I am very sorry you were so dissatisfied with your stay, despite of the fact that at least two members of management put in extra efforts to accommodate you and your group. The General Manager himself was called and was threatened by you from 8pm to 10pm on Friday night. He came in on Saturday specifically to talk to you and to find out what your concerns were. Our General Manager gave you an option to move to a different hotel as we felt that we could not accommodate your unreasonable demands. We were left no choice but to contact your superiors about your behavior as it had to be brought to their attention.

Here at the Holiday Inn & Suites the satisfaction of every single guest is our number one priority and I strongly believe that our staff beginning with the General Manager went above and beyond to accommodate your stay and we will continue to do so for all our customers.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

So i have stayed at this hotel a couple times before and it was nice! But me and my family went recently. When we walked in I usually inspect the hotel to make sure it's clean. The chair had stains on it and the floor next to the chair did as well. I looked at one of the comforters and it was dirty it was brown. i took it off, then on the other bed i took off the comforter and there was hair on the sheets. You can hear everything the people in the next room are talking about and you can hear people walking upstairs. The sheets didn't fit the bed so you could see the matress and on the mattress there was a huge stain, it looked like dry blood! It was disgusting the towels smelled gross and looked dirty as well. The restraunt in the hotel isn't that good either. There was terrible service and the food was gross!! I do not reccomened staying here, it was disgusting!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ilovehotels01
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear ilovehotels01,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you have experienced and if your stay was negatively affected by the overall cleanliness of our hotel. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service and for that reason, your comments will surely be looked into. I appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention and rest assured your comments will be forwarded to the departments concerned to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

The room smelled of disinfectant. The shower was small. The refrigerator was so noisy we had to unplug it. While this should have been a satisfactory place it really missed the mark. They need to work on maintenance or else lose a star.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Breach21
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear Breach21,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding our housekeeping and the noise caused by the refrigerator. We will address this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Had business in Los Alamos (~2 hour drive from Albuquerque), but departed on an 8:00 AM flight out of ABQ. So after my business in Los Alamos concluded, I drove to Albuquerque and stayed at this hotel for the night before my flight. It was absolutely perfect for this purpose, and it would also be perfect if you arrive ABQ late at night and want to rest before driving out.

This Holiday Inn is very close to the ABQ Sunport -- they have an airport shuttle, and they're also just a 2 minute drive to the rental car return lot. Clean and well-appointed rooms, like I've come to expect from Holiday Inns. Ample parking. Reasonable rates; I think I got about $75/night government rate.

What I would NOT recommend this hotel for is if one wants to explore Albuquerque and the surrounding area over a few day span. There just isn't a whole lot to see and do near the Sunport, so this hotel will work if you just want to get to your room and go to sleep, and are just staying 1 night. But if you're hoping to be able to go on food to restaurants and some sights and some nightlife, you're much better off staying in the Old Town Albuquerque area or near the UNM campus.

Note: This is the ONLY Holiday Inn where the check-in clerk thanked me for being an honors/points member and gave me a little goodie bag with a pen, candy bar, and bottle of water. Really nice touch!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I travel a lot for business and stay in 35 – 40 hotels each year. There are some that are great, and some I would never go back to ever. This hotel is in the great group. For me it is central to my business in Albuquerque and next to the airport so I don’t have to change hotels for my last night. Excellent room, plenty of hot water and pressure in the shower, wired internet and a restaurant in the hotel.

It took me a couple of days to figure out the window air-conditioning unit. The on – off button on the unit does not do anything, so I could not find how the unit kept turning on and off. I finally got it after watching the unit while I was changing channels on the TV. The number 2 button on the TV remote turns the unit on or off. The number 3 button will reduce the temperature setting. The 0 (zero) changes the fan speed. So, when I selected 21 (HBO) on the TV remote, the unit either turned on or off. By selecting 33 (CNN), it got a lot colder in the room.

Excellent staff, good food, in room entertainment (doesn’t take much for this old guy) puts this hotel in the group that I will come back to.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business