“Poor facilities, staff friendly but ultimately not helpful”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area
Ranked #96 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Washington, DC
“Poor facilities, staff friendly but ultimately not helpful”
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Not a nice place to stay unless it gets a full remodel.

First impressions: Room was dark and very worn. Air conditioning was loud and not very strong. Old TVs. Then it got worse. The swimming pool was dirty; the jacuzzi even dirtier. Then when attempting to shower or bathe children back in the room the only option was scalding hot water. The front desk staff came to verify it, and then had no solution.

We had already unpacked suitcases, it was late and kids needed to go to bed for an early morning flight, and our only option was to pack up and move upstairs or use the public showers between the pool and workout room. Those showers were not nice either, but at least the water temperature could be controlled.

Afterwards emailed the manager and the company's customer service and no replies.

The front desk staff were very friendly at check-in, and remained so throughout our stay. They did not seem particularly knowledgeable of places to eat New Mexican food in town though.

Check out one of the neighboring hotels.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank DC2florida

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Parker, CO
Reviewed March 23, 2011

This hotel is the only hotel in the vicinity that does not offer security at night. Break-ins are an on-going problem here. Unfortunately, I was not aware of this and my car got broken into during the night. Management still refuses to hire security. Do not stay in this hotel. There are others which are nice that hire nighttime security right next door.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Albuquerque hotels

Gresham, Oregon
Reviewed February 14, 2011

I've stayed pretty much exclusively at Holiday Inns for the past 2-3 years and only ever experienced a couple minor problems. This particular hotel is nice and my room was gorgeous - however, the Data Port connection was broken and not able to be repaired for my stay - lights were burnt out in the room and most disturbing to me was the limited parking near the front of the hotel. In 10-15 degree weather (surprising for ABQ) I had to park in the back parking lot - and walk all the way around to the front of the hotel - because they do not have even key card access points in the rear of the hotel. I moved to another location.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Elephant Butte, New Mexico
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Good: Tessa at the front desk is awesome!
Lobby is beautiful.
Room looks very nice.
Wait staff is very polite.
Nice business center.
I love the shower except the floor is very slippery. Towels are great!
Not so good: Restaurant is so cold the food doesn't stay warm.
The dinner menu is very very limited; five or six entrees. We both ordered spaghetti...they were out of spaghetti. It took 45 minutes to an hour to get our dinner.
Bed & pillows were very uncomfortable.
My husband and I had very little sleep. We were on the third floor...you could hear every move the people above us made...it was very very loud until 2am and then started again at 5pm.
It took over an hour to get two cheeseburgers via room service..which cost $21.38...2 cheeseburgers and fries!!!
There was a small safe in our room which we didn't use...they charged us $1.00 per day for a safe warranty...we were never told about this charge.
Unless you are familiar with Albuquerque, this hotel is very difficult to find.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Colorado
Reviewed December 29, 2010

This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. There was a party taking place in one of the banquet rooms on the first floor and the music was so loud that our tables were vibrating on the fourth floor. The manager refused to do anything about the noise. Finally, at 2:00 in the morning, we were moved to another room. Seriously, I was traveling with a 6 year old; poor kid did not get any rest that night! The manager promised to refund my money, but the next morning I was told that the money could not be refunded. The desk clerk said that there was nothing I could do about it and that it was just my problem. I asked to speak to the manager again and was told no. I then asked for corporate information so that I could report the problems and was informed that the hotel was privately owned and the owner did not have contact information. The hot tub and the sauna did not work and the staff insisted on leaving all the windows to the pool area open in December so no one could use the pool. They claim to have a Starbucks in the lobby (this is a TOTAL lie). If I go the grocery store and buy a bag of Starbucks coffee that does not make my house a Starbucks. Please take some advice and stay somewhere else. I would not subject my worst enemy to this hotel!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Tallthefox
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed November 9, 2010

Staff was friendly. We have stayed here 3 times in 3 years. Very quite and you do not hear planes. Had 2 beds in our room. One was against the wall so if person needed to get out of bed they would of had to crawl out. No nighttable by the other bed. Only one in center of 2 beds. Resturant sign stated opend to 9:30 but closed at 9pm. Got a buger from the bar and ate it in our room. Burger was good. Had dinner there the next night. Under staffed in resturant. I do hope to be back there again next year and would stay again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I had a good two night stay at this hotel, I couldn't believe how quiet it was being so close to the airport, I never heard a single plane. Rooms were a little small but nice, the bed was one of the most comfortable I have slept in; firm mattress and lots of pillows. The air conditioner worked well and wasn't too noisy. The bathroom was clean, but not sparkling and the position of the fixtures was a little strange in relation to the door. This appears to be a new hotel, as are the others in this area. Getting to it was a little tricky, but hopefully the signage will improve soon and people won't end up going through the airport parking lot like I did. The staff was adequate although usually gone from the front desk, I had to wait for someone to show up at the desk everytime except at check out. I waited the longest to check in, I had yelled "you who" to get someone's attention before they came out to the desk to tend to me and the line of people that had formed behind me in the mean time. No free breakfast and no restaurants close by, just the airport. But the room did have a microwave and a frig located well away from the sleeping area, I liked that. I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo