“So disappointed...”
Review of La Luz Trail

La Luz Trail
Ranked #21 of 224 things to do in Albuquerque
Reviewed September 23, 2013

in myself! I have lived in ABQ most of my life and have never hiked this trail! This was a fun, beautiful, stunning hike. A few friends and I hiked La Luz yesterday as a training hike for the Grand Canyon next month. When we started out it was a little chilly, we were all in shorts layered tops. At times I wore my long sleeve and jacket and other times was down to a sleeveless top. We keep a nice pace but did stop for food/water breaks, to take pictures and just to enjoy the pure beauty of the trail. Towards the top the trail becomes a rock slide trail and will test your sure footedness! If you are hiking in spring or fall temperatures can drastically change and storms move in quickly so plan accordingly. The hike took us just over four hours. While it was challenging at times anyone relatively good shape should have no problem enjoying La Luz all the way to the top. I look forward to doing this hike again and my only regret was waiting so long to do it in the first place!

NOTE: We parked at the La Luz trailhead; the parking lot was full so we parked a little ways down the road. Whether you find yourself doing the same or getting a parking spot do NOT miss the pay station in the lot. If you do your welcome back to your car will include a complimentary parking ticket ($75!)

7  Thank wings1902

Reviewed September 21, 2013

This became one of my favorite walking tails while in Albuquerque on an extended business trip.
The delightful gondola ride up the mountain, topped off by the views from the tail, and the unexpected emergency cabin at the summit made for an enjoyable,relaxing day filled with sunshine, fresh air and healthful activity.

1  Thank MedicalResourcesIntl
Reviewed September 11, 2013

My wife and I hiked this several years ago. As many people do, we parked our car at the base of the Tram, hiked the tramway trail which joins the La Luz in 2 miles or so. On this September morning about 7, I started at the proper trailhead meaning to do the day hike up and down to Sandia Crest. Once you pass the tramway junction, the trail begins its switchbacks and the views begin and you'll be reaching for the camera every 15 minutes or sooner. Morning air was cool but not crisp yet. The sun was lighting up the city below but the granite peaks provided shade for me till 10 or so when I reached the boulder fields. I did not count them but there are supposed to be 19 switchbacks that spiral up the solid granite mountainside. It is not very difficult but you just have to watch your footing since of course, rocks are jagged and totally random in their positions. When at last, I reached the split point where you can go right which leads to the top of the tram or left to the crest which I took. Just about a mile long but it is truly constant climb and by the end, my legs were wobbly.

At the top (about 11000') there is a large parking lot. Yes, you could have driven up.
I ate my lunch, rested and started back down in 30 minutes. Somehow, going down was much easier than coming up. I consider myself an average hiker (I take my time, take pictures, rest) and was back at my car 4 in the afternoon. Overall, the weather was nearly perfect, mostly cool temps and one short period of rain. Searching on the net for the actual mileage was a bit confusing; some said 18 miles, others 15. I am going with the latter. Thus I did 15 miles roundtrip in 9 hours total with probably an hour of breaks.

Views are excellent throughout the hike but I have to say, near the Crest not at the parking lot, there is a point in the trail where you could literally leap off into the air. Here you feel like a bird ready to take flight.

5  Thank 24parks
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We walked a few miles of this trail from Sandia Peak. It was really fun but it is not for little ones and don't try it without proper footwear. There are parts where the edge of the trail is a straight down drop. Not dangerous as long as you are paying attention, trail is a few feet wide. Some stunning views!!

1  Thank Becky B
Reviewed June 17, 2013

La Luz Trail is a challenging, yet enjoyable, hike up the face of the Sandias in Albuquerque. You start in typical NM desert terrain and wind your way through much more "traditional" forest environs before reaching the top. You get some really spectacular views while you make your ascent. The rock garden areas can be a little challening, but as long as you keep an eye out for where you're going it's safe. You can treat yourself to some crappy food at High Finance when you get to the top, but I'd recommend sticking with the beer since they don't have any part in making it.

2  Thank Dan263305