“Beautiful gardens and wine”

Casa Rondena Winery
Ranked #31 of 218 things to do in Albuquerque
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Beautiful gardens and wine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

My wife and I spent a lovely afternoon in the gardens celebrating my mother's 94th birthday along with two close friends. The gardens were beautiful, weather was perfect and the wine was excellent. John Calvin, the owner, stopped by our table to ask how things were. He is a wonderful host and is passionate about his wine. All in all a great experience.

1 Thank trout42

Saint Louis, Missouri
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Jennifer was so fun!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I rode bikes from our hotel and had a fabulous time at Casa Rondena. The grounds are just beautiful and there are many places to sit. It was summer, so we enjoyed the sweet white wines, but were not huge fans of the reds. We talked for hours with Jennifer. She was so funny and very helpful!

2 Thank Nancy B
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Enchanted”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

I was in the winery a few weeks ago with some girlfriends from out of town. We were very impressed with what we saw. The grounds are absolutely enchanting and the wine is superb. The wait staff was very knowledgable in directing my friends to some favorite varieties of wine. Thank you, Casa Rodena. You made New Mexico proud with your delightful staff and cool, elegant atmosphere. We will be back!

Stony Brook, New York
“Can't wait to return!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

Every time I am in Albuquerque I make a point of visiting this beautiful winery. The grounds are gorgeous and the staff is so friendly and helpful. I especially love sitting outside and taking in the beautiful scenery. I'll admit I once spent an entire day there just relaxing, reading, and sipping on wine. In addition to the great wine, I recommend trying the chocolate sauces. They are delicious! Finally, I just want to say that I've always had really nice chats with the lovely people working in the tasting room.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Gets Better All the Time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

I discovered Casa Rondena Winery several years ago and soon after became a member of the wine club. It is absolutely my favorite getaway for a day trip - I live in Santa Fe, and if I have a free day I will frequently strike out for Los Ranchos de Santa Fe and this little gem of a winery. I have always been treated well and I find the wines on par - or better - than California wines. The reviews that talk about poor service must have impossibly high expectations or possibly hit a bad moment. The first staff one encounters is in the tasting room - and no, they do not always greet me right away - but no one has ever been rude to me. When they are not busy they are extremely friendly, personable and will chat with visitors about the wines or any other topic. More often than not, I am just there to unwind and I will take my wine outside just to take in the setting - it is beautiful enough to make you weep. Except when it is the coldest in dead of winter it is always nice to experience the season or the weather (there is a portico in back of the main building where visitors can take refuge in case of - unusual - rain here in the High Desert). Vines grow on the grounds, and all the buildings are beautiful - reminiscient of Tuscany. I upgraded my membership a couple years ago to the 1629 Club - which is housed in the beautiful home where the owner used to live until he turned it over to membership to enjoy. There is an amazing covered patio that overlooks the pond and in winter, a crackling fire inside the home's interior rooms provide a warm refuge from the cold. Usually staff will walk by and ask how you are but they are not intrusive or high pressured. There is a combination of homey-ness and subtle sophistication that can't be beat. I have taken numerous friends with me to experience Casa Rondena, and to a one they are impressed with this wonderful hideaway on the outskirts of New Mexico's largest city. The founder, John Calvin, gets huge kudos from me for what he has created - he is a versatile entrepreneur, vintner, artist, and amazing human being. Casa Rondena supports many civic and cultural activities both in donations to various organizations and in hosting benefits at the winery. I would give it 10 stars if I could. My visit is indicated for March 2013 - but in truth, I go usually once a month unless the snow on I-25 in winter makes it impossible to navigate La Bajada. I can't stay away! However, I raved on Trip Advisor years ago and I have been a member for about 4 years. Per the guidelines I have no "business interest" in the winery other than being a dues-paying patron. Seeing some negative comments - I just have to come back on TA and give others the benefit of my long experience with this unparalled venue.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank bjbobbie
Casa R, Owner at Casa Rondena Winery, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Hello, this John Calvin, owner of Casa Rondeña Winery and I just wanted to say nothing could have been more wonderful about your kind and heartfelt review. It sincerely captures what we try to do here at the winery. Thank you so much for your kind words and continuous patronage.