“Top 5 Zoo, just wonderful, lots to see and do, great exhibits”
Review of ABQ BioPark Zoo

ABQ BioPark Zoo
Ranked #22 of 226 things to do in Albuquerque
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is in the top 3 zoos I've ever been to, just a wonderful zoo, well laid out, good concessions, good distance between things, lots and lots to see in each area. We got to see handlers and zookeepers working inside exhibits with the animals, just a great time. To address those who say the animals are underfed or not taken care of, just bull pucky, total bull pucky. We saw lots of dedicated workers, healthy animals in large settings, loads of beautiful open areas, and on the local train ride they explained how animals are fed, taken care of and trained, overall it was great. Also I didn't experience any line issues on a busy weekday during spring break. The only issue we had was the train between the Aquarium and Zoo, and I HIGHLY recommend you do NOT do this. Do the aquarium and gardens on a separate day from the zoo. The train between the two took over a half hour, which was a huge chunk of our day committed to the zoo. The aquarium and gardens are nice, but the train is too slow and there's too much to see at the zoo. Great zoo, up there with Brookfield and Omaha.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,368)
All reviews
"polar bears"
in 104 reviews
"tasmanian devils"
in 25 reviews
"wide variety of animals"
in 17 reviews
in 28 reviews
in 65 reviews
in 59 reviews

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We arrived at the zoo on the biopark train from the Botanic Gardens so came in past the elephants and camels.

We thoroughly loved the polar bears and happened to be there for feeding time. What a fabulous sight watching the polar bears dive into the water for their food. Had never seen this before and thought it was brilliant.

The zoo is a nice size (not too big or small) and has a variety of different animals, from big cats to koala bears. I found some of the fencing around the animals to be a bit restrictive for viewing and some animals could do with a larger area and more grass land.

Overall a good little zoo and works well for a full day out when combined with the aquarium and botanical garden.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have an expensive annual family pass to the zoo, aquarium, and Bot Gardens. I had never encountered lines of more than a few people until this time during a holiday. I am disabled and either use a cane or wheelchair depending on what I will be doing. There was at least a 15 minute wait in line. You purchase tickets and then enter a few meters behind the ticket booth where someone takes and verifies the tickets vs people. I have annual passes so I assumed that I could just go to the ticket verifier. Surely there is added benefit to this. Oh God was I wrong. I was loudly commanded to get back into the line, that I was not special and had to wait like any one else. When I finally got to the ticket window and complained to her about the other person, she started mouthing off about whites thinking they are special. I was upset that I had not brought any recorder of any kind. Even the cheap MP3's in the car can record voice. After entering we went to an office where I just stated what had happened and that I was shocked by the racist treatment. I had never raised my voice, never spoke out of line. I was too shocked to. The person I spoke with said a manager would be back if I wanted to wait. They were kind enough to apologize and then said that they get complaints daily but because the workers are union no one does anything. Seems that the unions buy the politicians and then the politicians protect the union workers. The Zoo is not worth the cost. I loved it before but even the cleanliness has deteriorated. Fecal smells from the animals permeate the walk. The restrooms have urine on the floors, garbage bins overflowing and just a state of decline over 3 years of going.

1  Thank Geddy A
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Great zoo! The animals were active when we were there, and it was a beautiful property. This is one of the nicer zoos that I have visited.