“Lucky Find!”

Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Lucky Find!”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Knowing nothing of Albuquerque where we stopped overnight the hotel around the corner recommended this spot. Great interior ! The manager and waitress could not have been nicer, the complimentary snack starter of beans with green chile was yummy and the green chili cheeseburger delicious and large enough to share. If you find yourself along I40 at meal time, don't pass this place up!

• Visited July 2014

Waco, Texas
“Good food”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

My husband wanted to go here because it is a place he had visited when he was younger. We went for lunch and it was pretty good. The cafe is set up like a 50s style diner. The waitress was very friendly. I ordered a deep fried hot dog with mango salsa. It was good other than the hot dog bun was split so I couldn't eat it like a normal hot dog. The salsa had some good heat. My husband ordered the daily special which was chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and steamed veggies. He enjoyed it. Our daughter had the chicken tenders and fries. It was a large portion for a child's meal. She thought it was good. The only strange thing was that the hostess brought out a small bowl of beans with chilies before we even ordered our meal. It was odd to us because we aren't use to it, but I guess that is normal for them. The food was good, and it was nice for my husband to go back and visit since he remembered it from his childhood.

1 Thank Lindsey R
Albuquerque, New Mexico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bland”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Food was bland, Waitstaff was OK. Manager was off-putting and rude, when I complained about the blandness of the food. If you do not get chili on the food you will have not seasoning or flavor.

1 Thank Sandra C
Texas
“A fun meal on a long drive”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We stopped to eat at the Owl Cafe as we passed through town. My girls love owls, and my husband had eaten here as a kid. I really enjoyed my sweet chili burger (very messy), and we had a hard time deciding on milkshake flavors since they are big enough to serve two people. I ended up asking for banana added to a peanut butter brownie milkshake.

My kids loved all the owl decor, and my husband and I had fun reading through all the jukebox selections. Worth stopping if you are in town!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank ErinRu
Houston, Texas
“Not as good as I expected”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

While passing through Albuquerque I wanted to eat a great Green Chili Cheeseburger. The reviews for the Owl Cafe were excellent, so I stopped here for a burger. It was average and disappointing. I was expecting the the quality of a green chili cheeseburger that I have had at Santa Fe Bite. I should have driven to Santa Fe for the burger.

I will say, the Owl Cafe has great reviews for their milkshakes and desserts, but I was in the market for a burger. I do not need to consume a 2,000 calorie milkshake.