“Epitome of Historic Route 66”
Review of Owl Cafe

Owl Cafe
Ranked #17 of 1,791 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: American, Diner, Delicatessen
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

Amazing place! Asked "Siri" for restaurants near me and this one came up. So glad we chose this one. From the decor to our waitress to the food it was excellent. The menu is typical diner fare but the food is so much better than most. I had the Blat sandwich which come with chips & salsa. Our waitress said I should try the homade potato chips. Omg. They were so good. He had the New Mexican & loved it. After see the guy making old fashion shakes we decides to eat half our lunch & split one. Wow! We has the banana split shake & it came in two smaller glasses. It was wonderful & we are so stuffed. Will stop here the next time we are inAbq.

There are newer reviews for Owl Cafe

Reviewed May 8, 2013

First time to Owl Café last week, won't be last. Very friendly staff, clean and great food. After bringing my drink my server brought a bowl of beans with excellent green chili, just as a sample...yummy! The menu reminded me of diner food in Jersey which was comforting somehow. I choose their BLTA sandwich...standard bacon/tomato with avocado...cooked crispy just like I like it, thick sliced bacon and tomato and avocado you could actually find. My friend had an omelet with green chili and it was huge! Mine came with salsa and chips and I believe the salsa was homemade. I watched one of the guys making a malt on the old fashioned malt maker with the silver cup and was very tempted but had no room such a big dessert. Also missed the dessert selections in the cooler I looked at as I walked in. Another visit will be in order next time I am in Albuquerque and will start with dessert first...life is uncertain! Highly recommend Owl Café, fun décor, excellent staff...most importantly fabulous food a reasonable price. A definite do-over!

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stopped in at the Owl Cafe just because it was late, I was hungry and it was nearby and open. But I would make it my destination spot next time I am in Albuquerque.

The decor is 'classic diner', the waitresses live up to that expectation, and the menu at first glance isn't that unusual for a diner. But the burgers aren't just burgers -- They are huge, tasty and, best of all, layered with green chiles. The bleu cheese and the green chiles were a perfect combo on the Bleu Burger. The fries were crisp and tasty, and a large portion to match the size of the burger. But the perfect top off was the shake menu. They proudly advertise on the menu that they use Blue Bunny ice cream, and coming from northwest Iowa where it is made, I knew I had to have one. It was served in a glass soda glass but with the'old-fashioned' metal container still half-full set on the table beside the glass. Whle they offered my all-time favorite flavor, chocolate, I had to try the chocolate red pepper shake. Cold, creamy, chocolatey, and then the pungent warmth of the pepper came almost as an afterthought. What a great combination.

I may have stumbled on the Owl this time, I'll be heading for it next time.

1  Thank Grover S
Reviewed April 19, 2013

The building itself it fantastic, with a giant owl head sculpted on top of an adobe building. The interior has comfy, old-fashioned booths, and the longest, horshoe counter with bar stools I have ever seen! Our waitress was the real deal, jovial and ready to serve, and did we ever get a meal: chicken fried steak, green chili cheeseburger, onion rings, and milk shakes to die for. I will reiterate, get the milk shake!! I went with two friends and they I couldn't keep them outta my shake! They also have cool souvenir t-shirts for sale if you want to pick something that is unique and fun. Eat here early if you can.....so you can walk it off during the day!!! If I make it back to ABQ, this will be my first choice to grab a fun and tasty meal!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I haven't been there in a while, but the Owl Cafe was a must-stop on our regular drives between the Midwest and Vegas. It's kitschy in a great way. Instead of salsa and chips, they served some seasoned pinto beans and crackers, which I at first thought was weird but ended up liking as an unusual little pre-dinner snack. I was eating meat at the time, and really enjoyed their California burger with avocado and bacon. Their green chili is super hot, and the milkshakes were classic and good. Excellent pinon coffee that we used to buy bags of to go. It is known for serving diner food, but they do it really well. I think it would be a kind of fun place for kids, because I used to like it there (even though I was easily amused), and there were lots of owls to count. I hope to travel through Albuquerque again so I can stop!