“Free Booze, but the windows won't open...”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Albuquerque - Hotel & Spa
Ranked #26 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 22, 2012

$150 a night and I have to pay for internet? I get free internet at a $49 Hotel. The hotel is awesome, the food is great, but I can't open a window and get fresh air. You have to sign a legal (?) form saying that you won't smoke in a non-smoking room ($250 charge), you won't make noise (ejected) and you won't steal anything. OK, the free breakfast is fantastic and the open bar from 5:30 to 7:30 makes staying here tolerable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Justj700
EmbassyABQ, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Albuquerque - Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

We know there are many options out there and we appreciate you choosing the Embassy Suites Hotel and Spa while visiting Albuquerque. The hotel offers great amenities both in and outside of our suites. All of our suites have a coffee maker, refrigerator and microwave. Plus, all of our guests are encouraged to join us at our complimentary Manager’s Reception each evening as we all as breakfast each morning.

We want to make sure all of our guests are comfortable during their stay. The noise and room policy waiver that you are asked to sign at check in enables us to do so. Also all of our 9th floor suites have a balcony. There is an additional charge for those suites but if you are looking for fresh air they are ideal.

We appreciate your feedback.

Assistant Front Office Manager

There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Albuquerque - Hotel & Spa

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Our Photo Club stayed here 10/6 and 10/8 (with a night in Taos in between). This was during the Balloon Fiesta. If we have a choice of where to stay, it is Embassy Suites. Always worth a little extra money. Staff is superb -- helpful and friendly. Happy Hour and Breakfast the best. The rooms are spacious and inviting. The lobby atrium is huge and visible from all floors. I don't believe there could be a bad room in the entire place. Service was slow in the restaurant even though it was not very crowded. Everyone seemed happy with their menu selection. On our second night there, my husband and I opted for the Cobb Salad offered in the Cafe. It was large enough to share. We also shared a large cookie and a bottle of Coke and dined in our room for $10. Unless you have to have a hot meal, this is the way to go -- tasty and a real deal -- and in the privacy of our suite.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
EmbassyABQ, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Albuquerque - Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Barb,

Thank you for choosing Embassy Suites while visiting Albuquerque. I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast and happy hour. The hotel has something to offer everyone, especially when it comes to dining options. Caffeina’s has a variety of sandwiches and salads to enjoy as well as snacks. We also have a large menu to choose from at our restaurant Cyprus Grill and the Cyprus Lounge.

We appreciate your feedback and love the pictures you took of the atrium.

Regards,

Reviewed October 19, 2012

I find it concerning that I did not receive a survey regarding my stay and there is no contact, other a phone number, to provide feedback regarding this Embassy Suites. Perhaps that is because they already know that the quality for price at Embassy Suites is declining. During the first segment of the vacation that ultimately took me to the Albuquerque Embassy Suites, I stayed at Hampton Inn in Carlsbad, New Mexico. When I arrived home, I found a survey from that Inn where I could tell them how delightful it was to spend my nights at their facility.

That is not the case with Albuquerque Embassy Suites. Here is why:

1. The bath was not clean. It had been given a superfluous wipedown, but had not seen serious cleaning in some time. The soap dish held a prior guests' residue, there was a moldy section of caulk in the tub, there were blonde hairs behind the faucet. I am a brunette.

2. The carpet was never vacuumed. Had I noticed the first night, I would have left immediately. I even left a cracker on the floor beneath a lamp to see if it was ever collected. After four more nights it was still there. I heard vacuums running twice in my five night stay and both times were in the atrium. NEVER, NEVER in one of the rooms of the corridors outside the rooms.

3. The LodgeNet TV remote was impossible to operate. And there was NO TV in the early morning when I woke to check the weather which leads me to item 4. Are you kidding me?

4. Charging for Internet access in the room? You have to be kidding. I had free Internet in every other facility I stayed including the aforementioned Hampton Inn. I complained to the front desk stating that I could go to a truck stop or a coffee shop, not spend a dime and have WIFI. The second complaint I made resulted in the WIFI charge being comp'd for my stay, but not until the front desk clerk told me that was how Embassy Suites is set up and I had to acheive a higher status to have it automatically free.. That is absolutely ridiculous, especially since the TV was not accessible early in the day.

5. When I arrived, I wanted to use the luggage cart and deliver my own luggage since I had to sort through the bags in my car. I was told by the valet that he only had one cart and he had to deliver. I shrugged, thinking this is ridiculous, but allowed him to handle my bags because I had no choice.

6. The pillow on my bed was so musty that I had to ask it to be replaced. The stench was overwhelming and caused me to place the pillow in the bath during the night. Surely any person would smell that when changing bed linens. But no one had.

7. The best part of my stay was the breakfast chef. He was accomodating, smiling always and a breath of fresh air. I am sorry I did not think to get his name so that I could personally recognize him as a singular rainbow in an otherwise depressing Embassy Suites.

I am sure that I will return to other Hilton members, but Embassy Suites will never see my business again if I can help it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LindyFromFlorida
EmbassyABQ, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Albuquerque - Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

I apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your visit. I am disappointed to hear that you had issues with the cleanliness of your suite as well as problems with your television. On a positive note I am glad our breakfast staff was able to brighten the beginning of your day.

If you would like to discuss your visit further, please do not hesitate to contact me at teresa.garcia@jqh.com. We appreciate your feedback as guest satisfaction is our priority and we will make sure the issues you encountered during your stay do not repeat themselves.

Regards,

Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

Overall this is one of the best Embassy Suites ive ever stayed at! The breakfast was great, the bar was superb and the meeting room was perfect! The only issue i had was the unclean sink by the fridge. It wouldnt drain so i took out the plug and the underside of it was all crudded up with some sort of rotting tomato pieces and for $200 plus a night, that is not acceptable. But that was the only problem and thats not really terrible, just disappointing. The staff was professional as could be and even the younger folks that worked there were top notch! This Embassy is certainly a gem in the desert out there and one of the best in the Hiltons franchise group! I absolutely would recommend everyone try it if they are passing through Albuquerque!!

• Stayed: September 2012
EmbassyABQ, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Albuquerque - Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

We are flattered by your wonderful comments about our staff and hotel. I am terribly sorry about the sink being clogged but I do hope we were able to address any problems you had during your stay. Thank you for staying with us and recommending the Albuquerque Embassy Suites.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

I love the atriums of this chain and we were given a beautiful suite, with a balcony overlooking Albuquerque. The staff were very helpful about attractions in the area. Not impressed by their on-site restaurant where the chef seemed to overcook everything, from fish to even french-frys, mabye this was why it was very quiet all the time we were there. This is a nice hotel, in a quiet area, but it is cut off if you want to dine or go out in the evening and not use your car. It desperately needs a Courtesy Coach, which was mentioned by other visitors as well. Apparently they had one, but it was damaged and not replaced. It would make a big difference to be able to get out and about more at night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view of the city, it looks lovely at night.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the view from the Embassy Suites Hotel and Spa Albuquerque. We appreciate your sincere feedback. Your comments will be shared with our kitchen staff in efforts to make things better. We strive for excellence and hope next time you visit us we are able to impress your taste buds.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

As a travel agent, I really try to take everything with a grain of salt as I understand normal wear and tear and am not too picky. -- I have stayed at this hotel numerous times for business and pleasure and in my previous post from a few years ago vowed to never stay here on weekends due to the numerous odd locals that just seem to appear out of nowhere and crowd the breakfast area. The pool also had an overwhelming amount of people such that a staff member was taking names and would "call" if room opened up to come back and swim. Anyhow, this time I am here midweek and redeemed points for a leisure stay in an corner suite. I was welcomed warmly and had a nice start but it all went down hill from there.

ROOM - The carpeting leading from the living area to the bathroom is frayed and not just a slight fray, like I wouldn't even allow my own home to look that shabby. I will upload pics later. I then was quite thirsty so I looked at the bottle of water they offer for $3. I noticed the cap was slightly off the rim. Upon further inspection, this was an old bottle which had been opened previously. Seriously??? Even if it were the last couple to stay here that did that, someone should have noticed because I did. I took the bottle down to the check-in attendant and just received an apology. I would have thought they might have had a new bottle brought up but no such luck.

Then I noticed the shower. BLACK MOLD along the tub rim caulking.. What does it take but maintenance to remove old caulking, clean and re-caulk. It just looks NASTY. Another reviewer commented on this. I don't expect a hotel of this caliber to have mold all along the tub wall. I've stayed in better no-tell motels.

Upon turning down the bed to get comfy I notice the sheets were torn in 3 places right where your back would lie, so how did housekeeping not notice this?? I have to tell you that at this point I'm so glad I used points because if I'd have paid for this room I would have been angry.

BREAKFAST - One of my biggest issues with hotels is that they start cleaning up breakfast before the clock strikes 9 or 10 or whatever time they close up. I went down at a quarter till close and found no forks, no coffee and had to stop one of the staff from putting away the Splenda packets before I could get one.. COFFEE completely gone and not replenished at 845am. Some of us ARE ON VACATION! Geez... Thankfully, the omelet station staff were kind and made my omelet with a smile. A nice gentleman did offer to get me a fresh coffee from the back, which he did and I appreciated very much.

POOL - No problems. Great experience this time.

RESTAURANT -Great meal, great staff.

Gosh, the owner really needs to pay better attention to the details and maybe hire a new supervisor of housekeeping. I will not be paying for or redeeming points for this particular property again until some things get straightened out. There simply are better places to stay in Albuquerque.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Wendi C
EmbassyABQ, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Albuquerque - Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Thank you for your candid feedback of your most recent stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet expectations and I am actively working with our housekeeping and front desk teams to ensure cleanliness and comfort are our first priority. Please accept my apology for the service associated with the water bottle and breakfast area issues. It is unusual to find someone at our hotel who is not friendly and willing to help and our team will be reminded of the importance of our interactions with guests. I understand the condition of your shower was especially of concern in regards to cleanliness. I’ve shared your comments with our maintenance team who will be correcting the issue and checking other rooms for the same. Our housekeeping team has also been made aware of the situation and will be keeping an eye out to prevent this from becoming an issue in the future. I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience and I will keep your review in mind as we continually work to provide outstanding service and accommodations for our guests. Thank you again for your feedback and I invite you back to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

This was my first but not last stay at the ES ABQ. I stayed for 6 nights and could not have been more pleased. Complimentary bottled water and snack each day of my stay. Onsite restaurant delivers good southwestern meals. Room was clean and well maintained. Bathroom was large and well stocked.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
EmbassyABQ, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Albuquerque - Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Thank you for choosing the Embassy Suites while visiting Albuquerque. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and the amenities we offer. We hope to see you soon.