“A little disappointed...”

Good for: Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Closed until January 2009
Reviewed August 15, 2010

After reading all the reviews on this site, we decided to try El Norteno. It was a Sunday evening and the place was not very busy. It took quite awhile for the server to greet us and take our order and when he brought the chips/salsa we asked if there was some kind of red salsa... he said they were out and wouldn't get any more until Monday. We asked for some pico de gallo and he brought us some... it was tasty. We're from the San Diego area and have lots of good Mexican places... I had chicken tacos and my husband had barbacoa tacos... both were average tasting... plenty of food, but not extraordinary.

Reviewed July 23, 2010

Man! We are into fine cuisine and natural foods. This is the closest we have come to authentic Mayan and real Mexican delicacies. Vegi choices too. We are now regulars.
Love the Chile Rellenos.

1  Thank Stevonmfl
Reviewed May 28, 2010

The food here is great. The service was excellent and I plan to eat here everytime I come to Albuquerque. I was the only one in the restuaurant when I ate there, so I'm not sure how popular the place is. Regardless, I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who is spending any time in Albuquerque.

Reviewed February 10, 2010

Authentic and flavorful. We are in love with this place. Even have hard to find dishes from Aztec times. Best Chicken Enchilladas and xlnt vegi dishes too. Good choice of flavors and hotness of chile.

1  Thank Stevonmfl
Reviewed December 18, 2008

We have just dined for the first time at the "new" El Norteno location at Wyoming & Constitution (next to the Honda motorcycle dealer). The old El Norteno is undergoing renovations, but the new restaurant, is perhaps even better!

The menu is "Mexican," as opposed to "New Mexican," with a varied menu including beef, chicken, and seafood choices. Prices seemed to be more in the range of $8-$10 for entrees. We had chicken enchiladas, and their unique tacos. They came with refried beans, and especially good seasoned rice. The ambiance is very nice, and the staff are especially friendly, and helpful in suggesting choices. Both red and green home-made salsas were served with the chips, and both were flavorful, tangy...just plain good!

Highly recommended! Family friendly, yet a very nice place for dates also.

1  Thank NM_Photojournalist