“Totally worth a visit from Downtown - Go!”
Review of Firenze Pizzeria

Firenze Pizzeria
Ranked #441 of 1,776 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Pizza
New Mexico, USA
“Totally worth a visit from Downtown - Go!”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

When I saw Firenze Pizzeria had opened a stand-alone restaurant Downtown after serving their well-loved pizzas from a mobile operation for a year, I knew I'd have to get in there. Wow, was I not disappointed. This is very good stuff: Albuquerque has some good pies if you know where to look, and this place has already shot into my top bracket (of three excellent places that I particularly like, each for its own reasons).

The Firenze space is open and modern feeling, with a row of two-top tables clustered in various configurations along one wall. There's definitely room for more seating up front, and from the looks of things they'll be needing to add more soon. One goes past the assembly counter (where friendly people greet you in a genuine way that really makes you feel welcome) and orders from a smiling, efficient man at the registers. You sit down and the food is brought to you. It's CLEAN and tables are instantly cleaned and put to order when someone leaves.

11" pies range from just under $7 to just under $10. The crust is thin and crisp, yet has enough chew to tear into a bit. And it's very delicious. Firenze appears to use top-quality ingredients (Keller's sausage, quality ricotta, fresh veggies and good quality olives and meats) and the sauce has enough flavor that it brightens up each bite. The thing is, no one of these things is really noticeable unless you look for it: each bite comes together in a happy symphony that just sort of sings "Great Pizza!" (The basil mint iced tea adds a lovely freshness to the experience.)

I grew up on NY pizza, and I'm used to the artisanal wood-fire small pies that have flourished in this country since the '80s. A Firenze pizza seems to split the difference of the experiences, if that makes any sense - but - while it's completely approachable - it's definitely more of a high-quality foodie treat than a pedestrian experience. The prices are really amazingly low for the quality of the product - I almost wish Firenze were a little farther from my office, as I fear this bodes ill for my waistline.

Fun tip for tourists: Firenze is located in a building right next to the building where Walt blew up Tuco in the TV show Breaking Bad.

• Visited July 2013