“Pretty Good Food But Long Wait To Get It”
Review of Sushi and Sake

Sushi and Sake
Ranked #881 of 1,775 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Japanese, Korean
Sedona, Arizona
“Pretty Good Food But Long Wait To Get It”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

This restaurant is very busy around dinner time. There was not enough staff to take care of the customers. It looked like only two waitresses for twenty tables. We waited 20 minutes before our food & drink order was taken and another 40 minutes to get our food. When the food finally came out it was good, but not worth waiting 60 minutes for when most Japanese restaurants have your food delivered much quicker. Competition is everything and we prefer more efficiently run restaurants especially if the food is equally as good or better.

• Visited July 2014

Bernalillo, New Mexico
“Good Food Around the Corner”
Reviewed March 27, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Around the corner from Whole Foods, Sushi & Sake offers good, fresh, well-prepared and flavorful food. As well as the eponymous sushi, S&S sports a range of Japanese and Korean dishes that are well-seasoned and cooked to taste. I had lunch there, and my sashimi combination was tasty and ultr-fresh.

Visited March 2014
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Come here for Quantity not Quality”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Big menu lots of special rolls but get ready to get filled up on rice! Nigiri is very thin. wasabi is average. If you like to eat special rolls this is the place. if you are coming for Nigiri just be warned that its not their strong suit. This place caters to stoned college kids with the munchies and hungry knob hill dwellers.

• Visited August 2013
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“So awful I can't sleep...”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

It is 1:42 in the morning. I've been tossing and turning all night and I can't get to sleep. I had an experience at a restaurant last night that was so awful I can't get it out of my head. I went to Sushi and Sake with 3 dining companions at around 7 pm on a Tuesday. I've been here a few times before and will admit, the poor service has always been a bit of a turn off for me. The sushi wasn't my favorite in town, but my friend liked it and I didn't hate it. About fifteen minutes after we placed our order two people were seated at the table next to us. It was a woman in her mid thirties who I am going to call Jane, she looked like a Jane, and an older man she called Dad. They were upbeat, talking and smiling. I was facing them, and so ended up watching most of their meal. They ordered off the all you can eat menu, I know because the waitress who said she was the owner loudly informed them they were getting too much food. Jane smiled and said they'd been there several times before and understood that they would have to pay for anything that didn't get eaten. I would like to stress that this woman was very polite, both at this point and later when things got really bad. I say this because, had I been her, I would have thrown a screaming fit by the end of my meal. My friends and I talked and ate and drank, and I watched as Jane and Dad because they were right in front of me and happy smiley people make me happy too. The first thing brought out to them was a pair of large, sauce covered rolls. Jane and Dad happily dug in, suddenly Dad turned very green. Like, I just found half a worm in my apple green. Jane asked what was wrong, Dad replied that one of the shrimp in his big roll was bad. Jane told him not to eat it if it was bad, Dad said he didn't want to waste, Jane said worry less about waste and more about not getting sick, don't eat bad food. Dad looked greener, pushed his plate away and said "I'm sorry, that's just too awful to eat." When the waitress came to the table with more of the sushi they'd ordered, Jane told the waitress, again remarkably polite, about the bad shrimp and asked her to take the plate away. Jane didn't throw a fit or demand anything, just politely asks the plate be taken away. Now there's this big pile of new sushi on their table and Dad is sitting back looking like he's about to hurl all over it. Jane at this point looks resigned, I can practically hear her thinking "crap, how am I going to eat all this so we don't get charged for uneaten sushi". No more happy bubbly people for me to watch. This was sad. Then the owner came over and it went from sad to bad. This woman comes over and starts loudly haranguing these people, insisting in the rudest possible manner that her shrimp couldn't possibly be bad. Her tone was accusatory, as if they were trying to pull some sort of elaborate scam with their uneaten three bites of rancid sushi. Dad looks like he's going to cry. At this point, were I them, I would have gotten up and left, screw the nasty sushi, nasty owner and the bill. This kind of treatment is unaccaptable. Not Jane, she sits there and politely explains to this stupid woman that sometimes there's just an off piece of shrimp in a batch, that she wasn't blaming anyone or asking for anything, she just didn't want Dad getting sick. The manager (owner, whatever) got nastier, the whole restaurant is silently watching this confrontation in appalled horror, and this poor girl is sitting there quietly and somehow POLITELY tolerating it. The manager ranted at these poor people for at least fifteen minutes (I'm not exaggerating here, it really was at least fifteen minutes, by the end of the diatribe everyone at my table was checking their phones for the time, unable to believe she was still going at it). Not once in the entire time did she A: apologize for serving these poor people rotten shrimp or B: offer in any way, shape or form to correct the problem. Eventually she just stomped off with attitude. At this point, my friends and I were done eating and were waiting for the check. We exchanged sad, embarrassed looks as poor Jane stuffed down all of the remaining food on the table, looking like she wanted to cry the whole time. Dad kept apologizing, Jane kept comforting him, saying she just didn't want to have to pay extra for leftover sushi. Dad went to the bathroom, from the looks of him when he came back it didn't go well. Jane finished eating, their table was cleared and they sat and waited forever for the check. We were waiting for our check too. Finally, Dad says, "I need to go home." Jane gets up and tracks down a waitress so she can pay the bill. I got in line at the register behind them because I was tired of waiting for the check too. Jane and Dad both look sick and sad, and they'd come in looking so HAPPY. I wanted to smack somebody, or cry, it was so awful. As they walked out the door I heard Jane say to Dad, "Well, I guess they we won't be back here." Dad says, "Definitely not." My friends and I all agreed, we won't be going back either, we're not going to patronize a place that treats people that badly. Not to mention a sushi joint that blames the customer for bad shrimp.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank ladyktana
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Acceptable”
Reviewed November 5, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Albuquerque is not a culinary center, certainly not for Asian food. This restaurant offers a pleasant enough atmosphere, especially for a mall Japanese restaurant, acceptably authentic food. Nothing about the place, including the service can be called "inspired". Granted, they have huge sushi menu of items for which they charge large prices and which I never sample. The place has recently begun to serve brown rice on request and at an extra charge for each "item" (sushi roll or dollop included on a lunch set plate.) This place is close to my doctor's office and each visit I end up spending $25 for lunch, grateful for the choice of a change, disappointed in the actual experience.

Visited October 2013