“Best in town”

Padilla's Mexican Kitchen
Ranked #7 of 1,856 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Padilla's is head and shoulders above the rest for quality food at reasonable prices. Been coming here for years when I lived in Albuquerque. Last week while in town I was pleased to see they are still serving up great NM cuisine. The only disappointment is they are closed during the weekend now. It truly is a gem in the city. I always order steamed blue corn tortillas for my cheese enchiladas with green chile.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

My family's favorite for decades. NM food restaurants abound in this region, but this family-run place is special. Once, we caught a waitress from another good local NM-style restaurant having lunch here, who admitted Padilla's was her favorite. The red chile sauce is as good as it gets. Even the rice and beans are exquisite. The sopaipillas are perfectly crispy on the outside, and they don't load their dough with sugar, like a lot of places. Expect to stand and wait 5-10 minutes for a table during lunch and dinner rush. It's not very spacious, so it can get pretty loud with happy eaters, many of whom are regulars. I recommend the blue corn red chile enchiladas. If you want it a little quieter, show up between 2 and 5 pm. They don't take credit/debit cards, so bring cash or a checkbook. Sadly, they are closed on the weekends.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We must have eaten on another off day. Place was full but we barely had to wait, this is good. I think a lot of people want to praise a neighborhood place especially when it is family owned and has been in place a long time. We have had a few good meals here, about a year ago it changed. We took a group of ten to try again. I will not go into details but the taco meat seemed like dog food, to mushy, could not eat. The tostado shell was stale, my niece would not speak up, so I brought it to the waiters attention, he showed no concern. Sopapillas and chili were good. I have to disagree with these reviews. We have eaten here numerous times and something is different. Because of reviews we have given it another chance but will not be back.

2  Thank JAKRM
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Padilla's has been a favorite of my family for over 35 years. It's in the neighborhood where I used to live and has the best sopapillas you're going to find in New Mexico. I used to think it had the best food in Albuquerque, but I've come to find other, better places for New Mexican food. For good value though, and no nonsense menus and service, it's great. Be ready to line up though, as it has always been very popular and takes no reservations. Get a mixture of the red and green chiles when they ask. And don't expect a quiet, romantic dinner. It's noisy and always busy. But for genuine, great-tasting New Mexican food, you gotta try it.

1  Thank vatuvia
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This mom and pop restaurant is as good as it gets for mexican food. I have been there several times and have never been disappointed. It isn't fancy, but it is good and good service too boot. Expect to wait if you go during lunch or dinner.

1  Thank fooddog