“Bring on the Sopapillas!”
Review of Sadie's on Academy

Sadie's on Academy
Ranked #58 of 1,781 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Los Angeles, California
“Bring on the Sopapillas!”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Dined at the Academy location. Plenty of parking, no wait, comfortable seating, nice decor. Suitable to introducing newbies to New Mexican cuisine. Great hot salsa with chips and a nice beer menu. Portions were generous, I had the traditional enchiladas and took advantage of the option to add a third enchilada to the plate. Unless you are very hungry I would forgo the third enchilada and go with the Blue Corn tortillas option. Finished with sopapillas and honey. I will be coming back.

1 Thank hotspurs88

Albuquerque New Mexico
“Loved the place, the attention and the salsa”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We've been locals for a long time. Several Mexican places we love to eat the old location was one of them. Decided to try the new location and we are quite pleased.

The chili is hot and flavorful. We loved the service and the clean atmosphere. We didn't have cocktails but will next time and will report back.

The service was superb, and you could tell that the management really cared about their customers.

I had blue corn enchiladas w/chicken and the chicken portion was quite generous, the chili was perfect. My other half had the sopapilla sliders and they were great. The chips are crisp and fresh and the salsa hothothot.

2 Thank AlbuquerqueRealtor
New Mexico
“OK food, large portions, great chile”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This is the only Sadie's in town I like. Except for the salsa and chile sauces, nothing is outstanding. Service is a little overdone with constant interruptions with offers to refill our glasses. I thought it was a little odd that the background music was soft rock instead of Mexican.

1 Thank SWVagabond
“Great Service but Not So Great Food”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

After traveling great distance I was looking forward to some mexican dinner. Based on the reviews I decided to call ahead to see if there a long wait. I left my name and number of people in my party and we hopped in the car and made a beeline for Sadie's. Everything seems fantastic - the restaurant, quick seating upon arrival, great service by the staff and waitresses, and even a hello from the manager. Yes, the dip that comes with the chip is a bit spicy. We ordered our food and waited with great excitement. The restaurant atmosphere was lively and full. Then the food arrived m heart sunk to my stomach. My cheese enchiladas was covered with lettuce and tomatoes, the enchiladas was crunchy, and the cheese was orange and rubbery. After three bites I couldn't eat anymore because the cheese was just not what I was used to. It seem like cheap government cheese. The nachos was covered with the same cheese the whole plate of chips was practically cemented to the plate. The beef enchiladas was not as expected. We expected shredded beef but it was crumbled hamburger meat. The food did not have any aroma and tasted bland. I was so disappointed having skipped lunch so I could have a big appetite for the food at dinnertime. Could have gotten a better enchiladas at Taco Bueno or Taco Cabana. I looked around to see what everyone was eating and having carried out. It must have been something other than the enchiladas.

• Visited July 2013
Albuquerque, NM
“Refreshing my memory the hard way”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

My wife and I tried the new NE Heights location on Academy last night. I hadn't eaten at any Sadie's since it was a bowling alley café near 4th and Montano. Not bad as I recalled. Now it is in my neighborhood, so let's see what the fuss is about. Early Saturday evening; there was a big crowd and it would take about 30 minutes to get a table (they don't accept reservations). A host told us not to worry "because it is worth the wait". It is not. A wait at Padilla's, The Shed, La Choza, Atrisco's or even Tomasita's is worth it (even including the drive to Santa Fe in some of these cases). All I can add is that I completely agree with R00catt's previous review.

• Visited June 2013