“Excellent food, thrift store atmosphere.”
Review of Rafiki Cafe - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Rafiki Cafe
Cuisines: African
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Excellent food, thrift store atmosphere.”
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

I have been looking for African Cuisine here in ABQ to rival Jambo Café in SF. The staff was nice and welcome and the food was excellent. The main problem I see with this restaurant is the décor and general atmosphere. The restaurant it self is situated in a storefront strip mall near lomas and Washington. No effort was put into decorating except putting up some african flags around the room. The furniture is very basic as well. The dishware itself seemed as if it purchased at Goodwill on a shopping spree. None of it seems to match and looked well used. Still, the food was unique and well made. I might be one to brag about this quaint little restaurant I found to my friends were it not for the high prices. My lunch entrée was $15.00. For this price I expect quality food AND quality atmosphere, especially during a weekday lunch hour. I will visit again. Because of the food, they have the potential to be another Jambo Café, but they have a ways to go.

Visited January 2014

Albuquerque
“Simple.”
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Loved that the cook came out to great us. She was thrilled I drove from Corrales to eat there. I hope they expand to offer some coffees from Kenya.

• Visited July 2013
Santa Fe
“Uninteresting”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

They advertise as a Kenyan restaurant but the fare here struck me as more generic east African. For the record, I have never been to Kenya so I cannot speak to its authenticity, yet it it seemed most like Jamaican food in style. I wouldn't call the chicken curry I had bad so much as simply uninspired. There was nothing engaging about the food that would make me want to come to eat here again. The opinion from my dining companions was the same.

The service here was attentive but given that there was only two sets of customers eating perhaps that is not saying much. Further, the food was not a good value ($13-$16 per entree) for such unremarkable fare.

• Visited July 2013